Marantz PM8006 vs Nad C388

I dont listen to anything bordering on heavy metal , other than very few tracks from metallica/ac dc. I do like cymbals , guitar string to be sharp and prominent in other genres as well. When I listened to few such songs on PM8006 I did not really find the sparkle as against my Indiq Saptak, the Saptak did a much better job of presenting the details with a good amount of sparkle but without sounding bright. On the other hand the CA Azur 651a sounded a little bright to my liking. In addition the sparkle I felt the Marantz fell a little short on maintaining the pace for fast tracks (hence I perceived that it might be an issue for electronics/dubstep , but the low end boost could probably make the drops more fun to listen to on Marantz).

While it boils down to preference, personally I would prefer a fairly neutral amp (especially a power amp) as I can play around with the right DAC/ SS or tube preamp to add the warmth/details as per my preference.
Would love to try out the Indiqaudio Saptaks some time. Now i wish i’d gone for the home try and buy which is a fantastic option and the way to go. After all, does one buy a car without test driving it?

Hi,

I have 2 floor standing speakers Focal Chora 826.

My room size is 13 x 11 feet.

I listen to more of Techno and electronic music.

I am currently using a Yamaha RX-V485 av receiver with my speakers.

I was planning to invest in a stereo amp after a lot a options I have now come down to Marantz PM8006 which has 70 watts output per channel and Nad C388 which has 150 watts output per channel.

Both of them are costing me around 1.5 lac as I have been suggested to purchase a audiolab 6000n with the marantz as it does not have bluetooth connectivity.

Can you please help me choose which one would sound better?

I am wondering with Marantz I am only getting 70 watts per channel so why not go for the Nad which gives 150watts per channel . Does more watts per channel reduce distortion at higher volumes?
Please try to Naim amplifiers. Naim and Focal are very nice combination but Naim is slightly expensive and musically Naim amplifiers / steamers are very good

I think at higher volume your speakers will have more distortion than your amplifier. (But dont worry about it too much) Specially in low frequency. (Only quality subwoofer and big room solves this problem to get clean low end) I have heard clean 40watts (Hand made speakers + Sony Large boomboxes) in my 10' x 10' Bedroom go quite loud to unlistenable levels. I know 40watts because I measured it. On paper marantz looks like more refined amplifier. Audition will be best way.
Hi Hiten,
Recently I had a seller saying that my Marantz AVR which is 50wpc 2ch into 8ohms can easily drive a 4ohm 88db FS which has required power rating of 40-300 watts.
Is that true or is it just gimmicks to push for sale?

50w @ 8 ohms will be approx 75w @4 ohms which is not good enough.
And a AVR is definitely not the right choice for such a speaker.
By being able to drive, the seller may have meant that you will be able to listen to music at moderate volume levels. Hope this helps.

Hi Hiten,
Recently I had a seller saying that my Marantz AVR which is 50wpc 2ch into 8ohms can easily drive a 4ohm 88db FS which has required power rating of 40-300 watts.
I have similar Marantz AVR as my 2nd system, driving 4 ohms BS speakers. I can assure that while it will play nicely at family friendly levels, if driven loud, the sound will harden up.

I have similar Marantz AVR as my 2nd system, driving 4 ohms BS speakers. I can assure that while it will play nicely at family friendly levels, if driven loud, the sound will harden up.
Thanks for the inputs @Lizard King and @RRR . This will definitely help but a PA would ideally be the best next option to drive such a speaker. My room is small and being bedroom any speaker doesn't need to go beyond -7db max which I presume is ok with ONLY the AVR.
As far as I read IA with a little higher wattages like PM8006 or Naim 5si can handle difficult speakers like Magnepan. Is that true? Is there quality to watts?

Hi Hiten,
Depends on the particular model+speakers. Most AVRs made to drive hometheatre will mostly have no problem driving low impedance, as their transformer (and output transistors) will have capacity for suffecient current. So I would not term it as gimmicks.
To be precise or to fiddle around you can take 'Speaker voltage test' posted on diyaudio. It will give you an idea how much power (watts) you need at particular volume level you are listening. If one is more finicky multiply measured voltage with 4 to get transient peaks.
I may sound I know these things. I am just learning and I think in above I got basic things right. kindly correct if anything missing.
Regards

Depends on the particular model+speakers. Most AVRs made to drive hometheatre will mostly have no problem driving low impedance, as their transformer (and output transistors) will have capacity for suffecient current. So I would not term it as gimmicks.
To be precise or to fiddle around you can take 'Speaker voltage test' posted on diyaudio. It will give you an idea how much power (watts) you need at particular volume level you are listening. If one is more finicky multiply measured voltage with 4 to get transient peaks.
I may sound I know these things. I am just learning and I think in above I got basic things right. kindly correct if anything missing.
Regards
Thanks. Will surely check diyaudio.

As far as I read IA with a little higher wattages like PM8006 or Naim 5si can handle difficult speakers like Magnepan. Is that true? Is there quality to watts
To me definitely there is Quality to watts.
If not you can pick a PA amp with output of 500 watts plus which they use in road trucks and make a Magnepan sing ;) at home.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back