marantz vs nad

Can the dryness in midrange with NAD be overcome by changing the source? May be using a Marantz cd player?

An audiophile "tweak" for this is to submerge the output capacitors in water. Try it today!! :) :rolleyes:

As a NAD 325 owner I can vouch that the NAD sound is not everything. It has its sound (or colouration) and if you are lucky to spot it early in the audition phase, don't worry about it, just move on to trying another amp that appeals more to your senses. There are plenty of products in the market to choose from.

Cheers

For QAcoustics 2020 pair of bookshelf, what do you feel will be good - Marantz or NAD - it seems there are more marantz lovers and though I need to audition, I feel from the experience of people, Marantz will do good justice it seems.

Just yesterday I listened to a 1010 here in Bangalore. Interesting little speaker. Much better than many entry level speakers I have heard. I suppose 2020 would be bigger version of the same thing. Again I would suggest Marantz.

An audiophile "tweak" for this is to submerge the output capacitors in water. Try it today!! :) :rolleyes:

As a NAD 325 owner I can vouch that the NAD sound is not everything. It has its sound (or colouration) and if you are lucky to spot it early in the audition phase, don't worry about it, just move on to trying another amp that appeals more to your senses. There are plenty of products in the market to choose from.

Cheers

My understanding is NAD, Marantz, Yamaha and CA are all in the same range. Its not that one is better than other. They have their sound signature.
These are not highly regarded brands and have average reviews on British hi-fi magazines/Hi-fi review sites like 'what hi-fi'. If you go by their reviews you will just have to choose between Roksan and Naim and you too start thinking others are crap.
But surprisingly when you see US sites like stereophile the same products have raving reviews and are highly regarded.

Its all confusing when you go with reviews comparing which brand is better than other. NAD and Marantz both are good but with a different sound signature. Just listen to both and decide which sound you like.

Coming to dryness in midrange yes, while comparing Harman Kardon HK970 to NAD c356bee side by side with Mission M32i I felt it playing 'Kholo_Kholo' track in Taare Zammer Par few guitar strings to be slightly different/dry in case of NAD. For all other tracks I tried in the comparision I didn't find any difference in mid range except the NAD to be on the warmer side. The speakers were not run-in completely at that time.

Last edited:
Hi ravi,

I beg to differ with you , it can be seen that Marantz Amp PM 6003, CD Player CD 6003 have had 5*s, and Yamaha amp AS500 has 5* rating from whathifi.com and several NAD amps have had lesser ratings. The reviewers always justify this from price/ performance ratio. So at the end of the day, one has to trust ones ear's preference and budget in mind.

As you said Rotel, Naim, and Cyrus are a different league altogether.

N.Murali

Hi ravi,

I beg to differ with you , it can be seen that Marantz Amp PM 6003, CD Player CD 6003 have had 5*s, and Yamaha amp AS500 has 5* rating from whathifi.com and several NAD amps have had lesser ratings. The reviewers always justify this from price/ performance ratio. So at the end of the day, one has to trust ones ear's preference and budget in mind.

As you said Rotel, Naim, and Cyrus are a different league altogether.

N.Murali

@murali sir
I'm sorry. I should have been more specific. The Yamaha CD-S 700/ A-S700 has 3 stars on 'what hi-fi' where as it has 5 stars on 'tech rador'.
The NAD C375BEE barely got 3 stars on 'what hi-fi' and for others its a competition crusher, best buy.
I mean to say reviews are sometimes confusing. As long as you like something and happy with it that's all you need. You don't have to worry about your purchase from others comments or reviews. They are all subjective.

Now I want to see how Marantz will sound in my set-up :licklips: I may buy one later to gift it to my dad.

Hi Ravi,

I request you to audition PM 6003 amp with either CD 5003/6003 players and promise you that you will not be disappointed. In fact my CRAFTEL Floorstanders have begun to sing only after I switched over to Marantz. The combo is very revealing. I just cant imagine the improvement if I pair it some nice Bookshelf speakers like PSB/ Mordaunt short for which a hunt is on.

Overall ,the present Marantz Series x00x are, for their performance a very good value for the money IMHO.

N.Murali

Ok, the need is very simple - good , clean stereo music is the requirement - I was suggested to go for a separate stereo amp for the same. Not sure if Denon, Cambridge Audio's etc stereo amp also to be considered - Since NAD are pioneers in such amps, was more inclined towards NAD.. and then happen to see Marantz - hence wsa wondering which one is better...

Have you looked into integrated amps? Is this an option? if so, you have lot more choices than stereo amps. Budget is the only constraint :)

Can the dryness in midrange with NAD be overcome by changing the source? May be using a Marantz cd player?

didnt understand the part about the dryness in nads midrange. imo the midrange in the nad is very full and musical. thats its strong point.

as for the cdp i've paired my nad with a cambridge. just to cut down on the warmth a bit. its a good match

didnt understand the part about the dryness in nads midrange. imo the midrange in the nad is very full and musical. thats its strong point.

as for the cdp i've paired my nad with a cambridge. just to cut down on the warmth a bit. its a good match

@afj
Even I got the same idea to cut down the warmth I thought to go with Marantz CD6003 cd player. After finding the Yamaha CD-S700 in a clearance sale for 40% the price of the Marantz I had to go with Yamaha which I think is on warmer side. May be the dryness is subjective.

can you please elaborate a bit - example ? which company/model ?
@amateur
For about 25k INR you can get NAD C356BEE or Marantz PM6003 integrated amplifiers.

Hi Ravi,

I request you to audition PM 6003 amp with either CD 5003/6003 players and promise you that you will not be disappointed. In fact my CRAFTEL Floorstanders have begun to sing only after I switched over to Marantz. The combo is very revealing. I just cant imagine the improvement if I pair it some nice Bookshelf speakers like PSB/ Mordaunt short for which a hunt is on.

Overall ,the present Marantz Series x00x are, for their performance a very good value for the money IMHO.

N.Murali

@Murali sir
Its good that you liked the Marantz/CRAFTEL combination. In fact Marantz suggests Mordaunt-Short to go well with their amps. Mordaunt-Short should be a good pair with Marantz. I'm very much in love with my mezzo's placed on stands.:licklips:

i think murali has raised an important point....genre of music listened to is key....if you are into heavy metal music, you will be very disappointed if you go in for a regular NAD....you just cant play heavy metal music with the bass and treble kept flat...i had this problem with a NAD 106 preamp and NAD 216thx poweramp...added a NAD 1020A to the mix as the main preamp, its vintage but packs a punch for metal!!

i think murali has raised an important point....genre of music listened to is key....if you are into heavy metal music, you will be very disappointed if you go in for a regular NAD....you just cant play heavy metal music with the bass and treble kept flat...i had this problem with a NAD 106 preamp and NAD 216thx poweramp...added a NAD 1020A to the mix as the main preamp, its vintage but packs a punch for metal!!

If you say Heavy Metal, it will be NAD over Marantz.
Never heard of Marantz playing Metal before.
But i can't agree with you about the treble boosting because Metal music has the most painful and piercing hi frequency (have you forgot about those heavy distorted guitar) so i rather keep than flat except for some recordings that came out before/during the 80's.

Hi - I too am looking for an int amp, not sure btween Nad 625 and Yam AS 500 ; my speakers : B&W DM 1800 (from 1992!), two way bass reflex with metal dome tweeter, like a middle road btween B&W 685 and 684; I need to know if the Yam AS 500 is more pushing (and perhaps annoiyng!) the middle ( Voices, brass ) or high frequencies;
I love deep and tight bass freq. I'm new in this beautiful forum:
do you know a Yamaha AS 500 thread? Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Hi - I too am looking for an int amp, not sure btween Nad 625 and Yam AS 500 ; my speakers : B&W DM 1800 (from 1992!), two way bass reflex with metal dome tweeter, like a middle road btween B&W 685 and 684; I need to know if the Yam AS 500 is more pushing (and perhaps annoiyng!) the middle ( Voices, brass ) or high frequencies;
I love deep and tight bass freq. I'm new in this beautiful forum:
do you know a Yamaha AS 500 thread? Thanks a lot.

With the said speakers go for ROTEL amps which pair well.

Regards

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back