Martin Logan speakers?

Hi Unleash,
Electrostats are what most would claim to be far superior to conventional speakers. We still have a 30 Yr old quad ES with a vintage quad 3 peice amp at my grand parents home. Its not an all rounder though.
Too many speakers that u can and should audition apart from the ones u mentioned. Have u heard the Micro Utopia? Some B&W s are great too so dont just rule them out. I was disappointed with the Dali helicons. What about a dynaudio contour? Some of the newer line are supposed to be brilliant.
How large is ur room? Are u fixed on what u want as in FS or SM? I know ur electronics are good. If i remember right ur amp was a lovely fluid sound at modest volumes and the cdp is super.(much better than my cyrus!!!)
Am sure u will have all the above options in Bangalore.
Prem i have done all i can and should with the cyrus cdp!! Power cords/isolation et all. Its not a bad player by any means its just not a fluid sound. Pretty detailed but the portrayal is not the most musical.Actually i am always unhappy with my cdp s so this is no surprise!!!
Regards

Last edited:
Dinyaar,

I have heard the Micro Utopia and fell in love straight away:D.

My room size is approximately 6x5x3 with heavy curtains/carpet with a rather large 3 piece leather couch that eats up most of the space:rolleyes:. But I??m planning to move to a bigger place may be towards the end of the year. I respect the school of thought that says stand-mounts are better, but my personal preference is floor-standers. My gear serves me well with its modest volume cuz I??m not a loud music lover in the first place. Currently running a pair of my trusted Dalis but am sure I can do better with a potential speaker upgrade!:cool:

Cheers.

Hi Prem,
I have gone thru the thread and thought of giving my thoughts as you are interested in an ESL speaker namely Martin Logan.
As your budget is $5K and upwards the best choice you can think of in my opinion in QUADS ESL 2805 or EVEN BETTER QUADS 2905.May be you can get some discount on Quads as they come from China now and US prices should not be applicable in India in my opinion.You do not need much power also, as 40 to 50 watts tube amp. will be good enough.
If set up properly with a good tube amp and Pre-amp (not Expensive necessarily) and decent source equipment (CD player or turntable) will give you much much better performance than ML or any other speakers.
Quads speakers if supported by decent associated equipments can be best sounding speakers AT ANY PRICE.
They have won more awards than any other speakers including BEST SPEAKER AND PRODUCT OF THE YEAR AWARDS FROM BOTH TAS AND THE STEREOPHILE.
And moreover if you buy quads once than it will be difficult to change to anyother speaker. Most quad users who try to change to other brands ultimately return to Quads.
I am also an user of Quad 2805 and before this Quad 989. And i am not saying this because I own them.
I am pasting in a seperate mail the opinion given to me by a well know reviewer of a famous US Audio web site when I wanted to change my old Quads 989
Regards
SKR

Hi Prem,
I had taken opinion from Mr.Craig a reviewer of top US audio website ( I think STEREOTIMES.COM ). He asked me to wait as he wanted to listen to various speakers at CES and than recommend. And this is What he had to say and recommend :---

Hello SKR,

Back from CES 2007. It was a pretty good show. Since the show I've had a chance to hear the Quad 2805's a few times and they sound fantastic! I talked to one of the dealers here and told him about your humidity problem and he said that with the newer reference series it might not be a problem but he suggested that you send Quad an e-mail. Listening to the 2805's I don't know how you are going to get that midrange and top end sound and imaging from dynamic drivers that you are accustomed to at the 2805's price range. The 2805's will transport you right back to the main event. Also they have improved the side paneling so that they don't rattle at high volumes. Also the bass on these are excellent. If you need more low end you can always match them up with a REL series of subwoofers. The B series would be my suggestion, especially the B2. If can can give the 2805's a listen I would strongly encourage it and hopefully they will solve your problem. Have a good day, Craig

Hi SKR,
It's nice to know that an Audiophile in Delhi has the Quads.
Any chance of an audition sometime?

Hi Kamal,
Nice to hear from a fellow audiophile. I hope you are from delhi also.
I will be really happy to invite you to my home in Delhi and listen to my system and share views on this great hobby.
But unfortunately i am not in delhi now as i live in two different places. And the quads speakers are not in Delhi.
But i have another very good system (much bigger) in Delhi which I am sure you will enjoy.
So keep in touch. Can give me your details so that I can let u know when I am in Delhi. I think i will be there by end of June or first week July.
Regards
SKR

Dinyaar,

I have heard the Micro Utopia and fell in love straight away:D.

My room size is approximately 6x5x3 with heavy curtains/carpet with a rather large 3 piece leather couch that eats up most of the space:rolleyes:. But I??m planning to move to a bigger place may be towards the end of the year. I respect the school of thought that says stand-mounts are better, but my personal preference is floor-standers. My gear serves me well with its modest volume cuz I??m not a loud music lover in the first place. Currently running a pair of my trusted Dalis but am sure I can do better with a potential speaker upgrade!:cool:

Cheers.

Hi,
Some of u guys are luckier than most of us living in bombay. The price of real estate is shocking and am glad my wife still allows me use of a few square feet to stack my audio set up. Unleash good luck for the new house.
Actually i too love a FS but i just cant accomodate one, hence this SM. Though the marantz is a good amp i dont think it will do justice to say a Dyna FS(contour & above) or something like a B&W 803s or even an 804. ESL s is a different cup of tea but then they are not great for all types of music and since i do not like a sub for music i wouldn't suggest u one.
Also the pricing here is such that a great FS really costs a lot+ great amplification + source and u end up spending between 7/10L.
Regards

Last edited:
Some of u guys are luckier than most of us living in bombay. The price of real estate is shocking and am glad my wife still allows me use of a few square feet to stack my audio set up.

Well you know there is the option of moving to Navi Mumbai but that is probably difficult for us folks used to the city.

Hi Particle,
Thats not an option for me. For both me and my wife work is at Fountain/Nariman point and the commute will kill. Plus if u ha ve lived all ur life this side of town it will be a difficult adjustment so i have bought a small apt at Napeansea Road for the two of us after our Joint family home was sold.

Hi SKR

It is Unleash Me who is looking for Martin Logans, not me. I have heard the Quads 2905, excellent speakers. But for present i am happy with the Rethm Saadhanas.

Hi Dinyaar

Try a Lessloss powercord, you will be surprised. I use it in my system Can lend u one for audition.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back