matching tweeter/compression driver suggestion for a 12" driver with 97dB sensitivity

Dear Kannan,

The whizer cone you are saying is at around 2khz to 2.5khz. hope I understood correctly.

Secondly, I have a 250w RMS stereo amp and Yamaha rxv681

Since this has 97db sensitivity, I hope it can be driven easily.
Sensitivity is not a standalone parameter, but has t be seen with some other parameter like excursion.
This driver has a low excursion factor at high SPL, when Ch is typical of PA systems where the throw has to cover a wide area.

Your approach is called re-inventing the wheel! I have no issues with that.....

But, the DX12F200 is actually a much better driver than the SK12FRX. However, Ahuja for some reason does not share its VAS figure and so my enclosure calculations stop without it.
I did not want go through the trouble of measuring it my self as I found what I needed in the 100W driver and that addtional power for the additional cost is of no use to me since I use only 20W/ CH for indoor use.

Regards,

Ravindra.

VAS can be calculated using Cms and Sd. Cms can be derived using Mms and FS. No?

*Hi Naveen,

coming straight to the point : let Ahuja handle till 3-5kHz, after that only a compression driver or a planar pro audio tweeter can match its efficiency(~100dB). PRV D280TI-B can also be a good option, if HF100 is not available. B&C DE250 is amazing but a lil costly. and of course you would need a good horn with dispersion specs.

Regards,
Aniket

*Hi Naveen,

coming straight to the point : let Ahuja handle till 3-5kHz, after that only a compression driver or a planar pro audio tweeter can match its efficiency(~100dB). PRV D280TI-B can also be a good option, if HF100 is not available. B&C DE250 is amazing but a lil costly. and of course you would need a good horn with dispersion specs.

Regards,
Aniket
Hey Aniket, ...very nice to see you on the thread :):). Rarely we are seeing you on the forum.

Would love to see and hear an Econowave built with locally available drivers.

If you use this driver for lows then it will severely lack bass due to low xmax.

Instead, I suggest opposite route, use it as a fullranger where it handles 800hz and above. Use a pro grade woofer for the lows.
Both the drivers will have sufficient overlap in frequency range and that lends itself to a simple 1st order xover doing away with xover complexity for the time being. If you have a sound card and active amps then xover is much easier to experiment on PC.

Now, the fullranger will lack the highs, as expected (and can be seen from the frequency response of the driver), so just bring it up by EQ. Above ~15khz wont be needed anyway, practically speaking.

One of our Chennai FMs @VSTEREO built with a 12 inch Ahuja driver, though I don't know the model number
I have used SK-12FR X (8 ohm) in 36X12X13 bass reflex cabinet.

Had spent some 100 hrs. with the drivers and here is my observations,

Source - Raspberry PI 3 + Allo Boss DAC (format - Flac)
Amp - Norge 1000 Gold
  • With Tone control off, Vocals - great; Highs - good and Lows - okay. Highs are marginally bright but listening at off-axis helps.
  • By increasing Bass to little, I see a great sound coming from the speakers. Enjoyable and no fatigue.
  • In this setup, I see there is no need for a helper tweeter or subwoofer. Of course, I listen 80,90s Tamil songs (Illayaraja and A R Rahman) so I don't expect a deep bass but what this speakers delivers is good on both highs and lows. I do listen modern day Tamil songs as well.:)
Amplification - Marantz SR 3001 5.1 AV Receiver
This receiver is my work horse so wanted to try how the speaker reacts to this receiver.
  • With Tone control off & Subwoofer - Nil, Vocals - great; Highs - okay and Lows - bad.
  • With Subwoofer set at 80 Hz, Overall presentation has improved a lot. My Sub, MJ Acoustics Reference is a sealed sub so it integrates well with front L and R. But the soul that was present in Norge is missing in AV receiver.
So,
  1. This is a great drivers considering its price and availability. For 11k-12k, you will get a fully built speakers which can suit your medium to large living rooms.
  2. Pair it with dedicated Stereo amps to sense its full potential. With AV receivers, as @Kannan sir suggests, Sub is a mandatory.
  3. As @Ravindra Desai suggested in another thread, we may need to try with tube amps or his own design amp to see how this 12" adds value.

I have used SK-12FR X (8 ohm) in 36X12X13 bass reflex cabinet.

Had spent some 100 hrs. with the drivers and here is my observations,

Source - Raspberry PI 3 + Allo Boss DAC (format - Flac)
Amp - Norge 1000 Gold
  • With Tone control off, Vocals - great; Highs - good and Lows - okay. Highs are marginally bright but listening at off-axis helps.
  • By increasing Bass to little, I see a great sound coming from the speakers. Enjoyable and no fatigue.
  • In this setup, I see there is no need for a helper tweeter or subwoofer. Of course, I listen 80,90s Tamil songs (Illayaraja and A R Rahman) so I don't expect a deep bass but what this speakers delivers is good on both highs and lows. I do listen modern day Tamil songs as well.:)
Amplification - Marantz SR 3001 5.1 AV Receiver
This receiver is my work horse so wanted to try how the speaker reacts to this receiver.
  • With Tone control off & Subwoofer - Nil, Vocals - great; Highs - okay and Lows - bad.
  • With Subwoofer set at 80 Hz, Overall presentation has improved a lot. My Sub, MJ Acoustics Reference is a sealed sub so it integrates well with front L and R. But the soul that was present in Norge is missing in AV receiver.
So,
  1. This is a great drivers considering its price and availability. For 11k-12k, you will get a fully built speakers which can suit your medium to large living rooms.
  2. Pair it with dedicated Stereo amps to sense its full potential. With AV receivers, as @Kannan sir suggests, Sub is a mandatory.
  3. As @Ravindra Desai suggested in another thread, we may need to try with tube amps or his own design amp to see how this 12" adds value.

Congratulations for completing this build and thanks for sharing your experience with all of us.
Since you have gone through the trouble of making these beasts, I will have to find a way, with you, to enable you to try my electronics. I assure you that it will make a huge difference.
I will have my enclosures ready by Sunday. I will post the pictures then.

Thanks again, V!

Regards,

Ravindra.

Guys (and girls?),

Since this is again a thread that uses Ahuja Full range speakers, I feel you should read the entire thread below especially post # 8 and 16.

https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...nse-and-imaging-of-full-range-speakers.69961/

I feel this is important since I have used big words to describe my experience with this driver and the build. At the same time I feel that you should know what you are getting into as I value your time and efforts.

Do let me know if you have any doubts.

Regards,

Ravindra.

Congratulations for completing this build and thanks for sharing your experience with all of us.
Since you have gone through the trouble of making these beasts, I will have to find a way, with you, to enable you to try my electronics. I assure you that it will make a huge difference.
I will have my enclosures ready by Sunday. I will post the pictures then.

Thanks again, V!

Regards,

Ravindra.

He is using a ported enclosure, though I had tuned the port to another 12 inch driver.
I am yet to hear it, maybe one of these days.

Attached is an alternate plan. Same as before but with a different depth. Either one should work the same.
All dimensions are inner.
Front and back faces are placed inside the box frame.
Length of the port is from the front face.
Use 18mm MDF.
Do not skip the bracing!

Regards,

Ravindra.

P.S. Best used with amplifiers with low damping factor!

Attachments

• 12in Single Driver Stereo Sound System.GIF
    12in Single Driver Stereo Sound System.GIF
    8.7 KB · Views: 39
Attached is an alternate plan. Same as before but with a different depth. Either one should work the same.
All dimensions are inner.
Front and back faces are placed inside the box frame.
Length of the port is from the front face.
Use 18mm MDF.
Do not skip the bracing!

Regards,

Ravindra.

P.S. Best used with amplifiers with low damping factor!

Is this build for Ahuja Dfx200? I have got the 12" of SK frx 12, I'm planning for OB currently, this build mentioned seems like worth trying if OB doesn't suit my expectations.

Out of the two the one on FR thread and this one which is better? The other one is quite wide for my listening room.

My professional DJ Box maker suggested this build instead..
IMG-20180810-WA0082.jpg

Is this build for Ahuja Dfx200? I have got the 12" of SK frx 12, I'm planning for OB currently, this build mentioned seems like worth trying if OB doesn't suit my expectations.

Out of the two the one on FR thread and this one which is better? The other one is quite wide for my listening room.

My professional DJ Box maker suggested this build instead..
View attachment 29385

This drawing is of scoop used for Bass in PA systems. These are mostly used for 15 and 18 inch drivers never seen for a 12 inch driver.

Finally put in the first OB build using Ahuja SK Frx12..
Initial impressions - totally crap, nothing other than midrange is acceptable, bass is absent totally..

Now after 20hrs - they've started singing. Especially paired with just 3wpc tube amp its giving unbelievable SQ in the treated HT room. I kept playing overnight yesterday for burn in & when played in the evening - I'm simply surprised with the improvements. The sound is very open and airy, the bass is much improved without being boomy, but it still lacks the punch. Old hindi songs, jazz, hindustani classical and blues sound like a live performance. Bass /Punch Lacks in fast numbers and metal genre where lot is going on. Subtle details are improving, seems it'll sound lot better after 100hrs. But the sweet openness with a tubes is amazing, appears like I wasn't listening to actual reproduction all these years. (Same feeling I had, when I ate Chinese at Hong Kong after eating Chinese all these years in India )

Placement is tricky, a few mm changes alter the music drastically, keeping the LR balance has never been so difficult. They're quite Mammoth for my room anyway.

So far Very good!
Thanks everyone for the inputs on OBs.

IMG_20180813_31894.jpg
Screenshot_20180813-191207__01.jpg

Finally put in the first OB build using Ahuja SK Frx12..
Initial impressions - totally crap, nothing other than midrange is acceptable, bass is absent totally..

Now after 20hrs - they've started singing. Especially paired with just 3wpc tube amp its giving unbelievable SQ in the treated HT room. I kept playing overnight yesterday for burn in & when played in the evening - I'm simply surprised with the improvements. The sound is very open and airy, the bass is much improved without being boomy, but it still lacks the punch. Old hindi songs, jazz, hindustani classical and blues sound like a live performance. Bass /Punch Lacks in fast numbers and metal genre where lot is going on. Subtle details are improving, seems it'll sound lot better after 100hrs. But the sweet openness with a tubes is amazing, appears like I wasn't listening to actual reproduction all these years. (Same feeling I had, when I ate Chinese at Hong Kong after eating Chinese all these years in India )

Placement is tricky, a few mm changes alter the music drastically, keeping the LR balance has never been so difficult. They're quite Mammoth for my room anyway.

So far Very good!
Thanks everyone for the inputs on OBs.

View attachment 29456
View attachment 29458
Baffle dimensions

however pairing them with high Qts bass drivers and crossing 200 hz or below will shock you.
Very much right, that's what I was looking for the next upgrade ; I've left a place for another 12" driver below for same purpose...
Further, did you make adjustments in sides to give them unequal acoustic centers ?
No I haven't, I read about it, but couldn't understand its importance.

Tube amps plus FRDs is a combo which brings new definition to sound reproduction that you could have been missing all these years
Yes the openness and faithful reproduction of recording is very captivating. They're nowhere comparable to my MA Silver RX6 in resolution etc but they have their strengths where it matters.

Baffle dimensions
2ft (W) x 3 ft (H).
Maximum possible from MDF lying with me after some carpenter work at home. Front baffle is double Layer of 18mm MDF angled at 5 degrees upwards

Hopefully @Naveenbnc I'm not hijacking the purpose of your thread. Due apologies in advance.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back