Mera Kuch Samaan

srramanujam

It was 1992, when i first heard this song. My hindi till then was limited to Aloo, Pyaz and the ubiquitous profanities. I was staying in Ranipet with an AP guy settled in Bihar, a Bong, a UP guy settled in Hyderabad and a Tam settled in Mumbai. Hindi was lingua franca, except for me.

The AP in Bihar bought this wonderful cassette of Ijazzat (the version which has dialogues). The hindi/urdu of Gulzar was too much for me and i could simply not place anything in those songs. The first song felt like a silly nursery rhyme, with obviously no rhythm or melody - Mera Kuch Samman.

Through the months, the bihari painfully translated the song, and more importantly related the context. Mera Kuch Samman, tumhare paas pada hai -

I wonder how apt the song is for the weekend that went past, Venkat can delete the posts, erase the name and lock the thread. How will he return the rancour, the bitter taste and most importantly, the feeling of the host being made the villain. How will the ex members ensure that they have erased everything - their childklike enthusiasm that lingers in the forum, the joy of receiving thanks from those who judge you only by your value in the forum, the twinkle in seeing their friends online, the satisfaction of guiding an unknown face remotely, the chuckling in seeing manu ragged.

What to do with the ego that takes offense on many unseen faces, the petulance that refuses to see the many points of view, the misplaced knowledge that finds faults in fine prints. Who is going to take them back.

It was 1992, when i first heard this song. My hindi till then was limited to Aloo, Pyaz and the ubiquitous profanities. I was staying in Ranipet with an AP guy settled in Bihar, a Bong, a UP guy settled in Hyderabad and a Tam settled in Mumbai. Hindi was lingua franca, except for me.

The AP in Bihar bought this wonderful cassette of Ijazzat (the version which has dialogues). The hindi/urdu of Gulzar was too much for me and i could simply not place anything in those songs. The first song felt like a silly nursery rhyme, with obviously no rhythm or melody - Mera Kuch Samman.

Through the months, the bihari painfully translated the song, and more importantly related the context. Mera Kuch Samman, tumhare paas pada hai -

I wonder how apt the song is for the weekend that went past, Venkat can delete the posts, erase the name and lock the thread. How will he return the rancour, the bitter taste and most importantly, the feeling of the host being made the villain. How will the ex members ensure that they have erased everything - their childklike enthusiasm that lingers in the forum, the joy of receiving thanks from those who judge you only by your value in the forum, the twinkle in seeing their friends online, the satisfaction of guiding an unknown face remotely, the chuckling in seeing manu ragged.

What to do with the ego that takes offense on many unseen faces, the petulance that refuses to see the many points of view, the misplaced knowledge that finds faults in fine prints. Who is going to take them back.

yes, that innocence is long gone - i miss that -:sad:-

replaced by a lingering fear of being reprimanded, put down - for inappropriate behaviour - i suppose it is time for self-immolation!

Last edited:
Very well written srramanujam, you echo my thoughts.

We, as a forum need to manage ourselves better when in a crisis situation.

yes, that innocence is long gone - i miss that -:sad:-

replaced by a lingering fear of being reprimanded, put down - for inappropriate behaviour - i suppose it is time for self-immolation!

Absence of some members has left a void. Absence of some others was for good. Return of some members like yourself was much required.

Suri, I have noticed that you are not participating although you are logged in. Request you to please return to active participation slowly, but surely.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back