Message for Kaushik,Bangalore

GeorgeO

Hi Kaushik

Could you PM me your number? I understand that a while ago you had started a thread about amp enclosures, would like to know more.

Thanks

George

I think if we standardize on the design, it will be easy to find a willing manufacturer who can do it - only shipping destinations will be different.

Why dont we finalize the dimensional specs and make a drawing then proceed with contacting the suppliers.

We can use Hitens new thread on GC build queries to discuss the chassis specs.

cheers

Im looking at sources to help me with my 5 channel Hypex power amp build, but if I get anything useful will certainly pass on the info. At this point i know my chassis size for the Hypex, no idea about the gainclone.

George

There's an off-the-shelf stamped plated-steel chassis from "HIJ" that's got ample space for the MyRef. The problem is that the front-panel is sort-of crummy. If somebody can make a brushed aluminium or steel front-panel that matches this chassis, it will probably work out better. Another possibility is a lacquered wooden/veneered MDF sleeve-type outer cabinet for this chassis.

There's an off-the-shelf stamped plated-steel chassis from "HIJ" that's got ample space for the MyRef. The problem is that the front-panel is sort-of crummy. If somebody can make a brushed aluminium or steel front-panel that matches this chassis, it will probably work out better. Another possibility is a lacquered wooden/veneered MDF sleeve-type outer cabinet for this chassis.

Link to image please?

Thanks

Link to image please?

It's called a "Dexa" chassis in the local market, and comes with a powder-coated black top-cover as well as face-plate. Picture shows only the inner chassis without the top-cover and face-plate. The SHAM-brand 24-0-24, 5A EI-core transformer is also visible at left.

Attachments

• dexa_chassis.jpg
    dexa_chassis.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
It's called a "Dexa" chassis in the local market, and comes with a powder-coated black top-cover as well as face-plate. Picture shows only the inner chassis without the top-cover and face-plate. The SHAM-brand 24-0-24, 5A EI-core transformer is also visible at left.

Where can I find it in Bangalore? SP road? Which shop? I will pick one up this weekend if possible

Thanks

Where can I find it in Bangalore? SP road? Which shop?

Pooja Electronics, off S.P. Road. There's a small street that cuts perpendicular to S.P.Road about a 100-150 metres in, on the right side. Pooja is the 4th or 5th shop on the right side of that small street. He sells only audio stuff - speakers, crossovers, cabinets, pre-assembled amplifier boards, etc.

(Note that the black faceplate of the Dexa chassis is not really suitable, though it can be used as a stop-gap measure until somebody comes up with a nice brushed-aluminium faceplate.)

Edit: Dimensions are about 12" (W) x 10" (D) x 4" (H) - approximate, since I don't have my foot-rule with me now. Price was in the range of Rs.125-200, I don't remember exactly.

Last edited:
George ,

sorry for late reply ..i asked one mfr for powder coated chassis.
as the group buy etc never happens here ,dropped the plans.

Indian b2b sites can help

Hi Kaushik,

Not sure why group buys didn't happen in the past? did people drop out after expressing interest? I am looking for 2 Enclosures, I know George is looking for one and I am pretty sure we will get a couple more buyers?

Can you share the name of the manufacturer you spoke to?

Nice! Now we need specs for dimensions.

I'd suggest using an existing chassis with cut-outs and modifying it, for instance by designing a new face-plate and (possibly) a wooden outer-sleeve enclosure, either in rubberwood or teak.

It's possible to fabricate laser-cut aluminium face-plates, but the minimum volume may be an issue. Check out Rishi Laser and several others. IMHO, a laser-cut 10-mm thick aluminium faceplate, with chemically-edged legends (say, MyRef in italicised font) and NaOH-immersion finish will be competitive with the best commercial finishes.

I'd suggest using an existing chassis with cut-outs and modifying it, for instance by designing a new face-plate and (possibly) a wooden outer-sleeve enclosure, either in rubberwood or teak.

It's possible to fabricate laser-cut aluminium face-plates, but the minimum volume may be an issue. Check out Rishi Laser and several others. IMHO, a laser-cut 10-mm thick aluminium faceplate, with chemically-edged legends (say, MyRef in italicised font) and NaOH-immersion finish will be competitive with the best commercial finishes.

I agree. Easier this way. I will check out the DEXA one on SP road, need one for my preamp as well ... already have rubber wood waiting to be cut and polished.

cheers

crisscross,
itz a curse that was issued by some God. I forgot the mfr name, i will wait till someone comes with ready enclosures.. and people have bought those ... and tested ...and finally recommended ..and 2 nd or 3rd circle of GB is initiated , i will place order for 1 .

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back