On loudspeaker capacitors, and their care and feeding and changing, or lack thereof..

rwnano

Good thread on reddit:

thack524
Op · 1 day ago
Well, I have to admit I didn’t think I’d be making a post like this. BUT I picked up these lascalas about 2 months ago. All original drivers, type AA crossovers, were untouched when I got them. I listened for a while as-is, played with a few amps, really dialed in their placement, and loved them.
I’m a diy person so the “replace the caps” bug bit and I did exactly that. Replaced the original oil caps with Dayton 1% audio caps. Gave them about a month of daily listening to “burn in”, and for my ears to adjust. They never sounded right, they were fatiguing all of a sudden. I threw EQ at them, moved them around, tried another amp, but nothing worked. They didn’t sound any more “detailed”, they just gave me a headache.
I finally said screw it, measured the old oil caps I took out (13uf measure at 13.75 and 13.72 respectively) and put them back in the crossovers for the mid driver circuit. And just like that, they’re enjoyable again. They don’t sound veiled or less detailed, they just sound right again. I can listen for hours like before. Same amp, same space, same day.
I didn’t want to believe caps make that big of a difference, but there’s something going on. A bit of a rant I know, but it’s worth nothing for those people with high quality vintage gear. Sometimes it’s perfect as is. Voicing is a real thing. And fwiw the 2uf original caps all measure spot on as well. And the Daytons I removed are also spot on at 2uf and 13uf. I think my view on boutique capacitors has changed. I’ll be trying some NOS oil caps next, and maybe on some other gear I have as well.

I agree with you, Xover Capacitors do, Significantly influence sonics.

... and Xover inductor make an even bigger difference, especially if you have the courage & finance to substitute Metallic core inductors with (relatively Huge) Air Core inductors

Different capacitors have different ESR and series inductance too. Just measuring capacitance is being simplistic - though there's nothing wrong with being that.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back