Metrum Acoustics™ India - Introduction

Hello
First of all let me congratulate Metrum Acoustics for starting their business in India with such determination
I doubt any specialized HiFi company has been so serious about India in the recent past.
Maybe I am the odd guy out but I am very keen to know more about ambre and how it performs
I can understand each and every product can't be had for a home demo but I will be even OK if any senior audiophile from Bangalore who is using Room tries it out in his setup and shares his views with all on the forum.
I very much understand the issues related to transportation of HiFi components.
Best of luck to the whole Metrum team and also the ones managing the show in India

My stereo system is CD based

Philips CD960

But..

I like your policy...

I hope interested folks take genuine advantage.

Regards
Mpw
Same here, and I like to emphasize the word genuine. We try to comply to your ideas, visions and customs and would like to go that extra step to gain your trust and loyalty. So when doing this right, for those interested we will have happy people all over the place

Anjo

Hello
First of all let me congratulate Metrum Acoustics for starting their business in India with such determination
I doubt any specialized HiFi company has been so serious about India in the recent past.
Maybe I am the odd guy out but I am very keen to know more about ambre and how it performs
I can understand each and every product can't be had for a home demo but I will be even OK if any senior audiophile from Bangalore who is using Room tries it out in his setup and shares his views with all on the forum.
I very much understand the issues related to transportation of HiFi components.
Best of luck to the whole Metrum team and also the ones managing the show in India
Dear Rikhav

Thank you for your kind words, and just to confirm, yes we are serious and determined, meaning we do respect you and will do our utmost best to proof that we are worth your business. When you are in to roon, I can seriously tell you that the ambre is magnificent because of its clocks. After all the tests I have seen we can easily compare to products four or five times the price of the ambre.

If you wish to give it a try just let us know

Anjo

Dear Rikhav

Thank you for your kind words, and just to confirm, yes we are serious and determined, meaning we do respect you and will do our utmost best to proof that we are worth your business. When you are in to roon, I can seriously tell you that the ambre is magnificent because of its clocks. After all the tests I have seen we can easily compare to products four or five times the price of the ambre.

If you wish to give it a try just let us know

Anjo

And before I forget to tell, very soon we also will have a baby ambre :)), which will not have i2s or aes but from a electronics perspective will be equal to the ambre :)

Some dealers do offer home demos depending on the client relationships, references and the serious intent of the buyers.
Though the option is welcoming, I would still advice you to tread carefully and keep it to a one-on-one basis based on some assessment criterias.

Are you not offering to look out for dealers in major cities where the potential customers can get a demo?

And before I forget to tell, very soon we also will have a baby ambre :)), which will not have i2s or aes but from a electronics perspective will be equal to the ambre :)

This is very interesting to know sir.
Will keenly wait for the official announcement

Thanks you MPW.

@Naturelover
@mpw
@captrajesh
@Nikhil
@Kannan
@bhagwan
@arj
@heliumflight

Dear Senior Members, We are willing to have a home audition model in such a way that both forum members as well as Metrum Acoustics are benefited. So I would like to think with you all on how we go about this. Has there been such thing in the past ? If so how did they do it. My intention is simple. People who are serious about trying out our products get to home audition our products (specific models) and we get the units back safely. Please feel free to share your thoughts.

@Spinning

Thanks,
Sunder.
@ Sunder, that's a great consideration from metrum acoustics. Hope it works well and both metrum and users benefit

@Spinning @Metrum Acoustics

Taking ahead the discussion of ambre, I hope it's ok to continue on this thread
On many online forums there is a mis-conception that ambre works only with roon architecture and everyone can't afford to pay above USD 100 per year for a software .
Where as the product page clearly mentions it can work with something as a picore player or a LMS

So my request would be if fesible that you list on the product page itself all the Linux based or other audio distros with which ambre can work
Also is there a special version to be downloaded for Ambre. If yes it would be better if direct download links are posted

Lastly for my knowledge want to know if ambre is using some proprietary OS to run the ambre for Roon?
And does it get auto updated to the latest version of ROON RAAT for linux

All the queries if answered not only for people here on the forum but also if added to the product page will have better confidence with potential buyers

I take the ambre as a NAA or roon end point with a inbuilt good grade LPS and superior clocks
That makes it an very interesting product for me

Dear Rikhav,

great questions! Let me take you step by step through where the Ambre stands,

1. Our first platform was solely focused at ROON. The reason was twofold, A) we believe RAAT is pretty powerful, and secondly it supports MQA when using Tidal.
2. We designed the Ambre is such way, that we ARE able to support multiple platforms, including Logitech Media Server, Qobuz, Airplay, Squeezelite, DLNA, UPnP, Spotify connect.
3. How to do it? First of all, there is Raspberry in the Ambre. Swapping the SD card is allowed, and if one is able to self install any of the other platforms, like DietPi or PiCoreplayer, please go ahead. Even if you exchange the SD card to support other than Roon, the warranty is still valid.
4. Why did we do it this way? Exactly because of what you said. Not everybody is willing to spend that kind of money on Roon and we believe that the client is entitled to use whatever platform on the AMBRE to stream their music.
5. We also will release the Baby Ambre, which allows for the same as written before, yet from a hardware perspective does NOT have I2S or AES/EBU, which is available on the AMBRE. This unit will sell under 42000 IR, which i think is a great proposition. The electronics are similar to the AMBRE with the same powerful clocking inside!
6. Yes, the software, when using the original ROON setup, will be updated regularly, fully automated
7. If you are interested, a client of has provided the multiboot software for the AMBRE including Dietpi, Picoreplayer etc.. in this folder
https://www.dropbox.com/s/59nvzff9ewtg0bl/dietpi-for-ambre.zip?dl=0

The above files are created by a client and not by Metrum Acoustics. It does show how easy it is to use other formats then Roon.

Metrum Acoustics itself will release an official version including the aforementioned formats within the next months.

I hope that I have been able to explain and answer your question accordingly. And i do take suggestions at heart, thank you for that.

Anjo

PS the Baby Ambre will come in the same form as the FLINT, our baby DAC. And while we are at it, spoiling new releases :)), very soon we also will have new headphone amp in the same casing as the FLINT. These three products, DAC, Headphone Amp, and Streamer, can be had for plus minus 120K IR, which in my eyes makes it very compelling to have!

@Spinning @Metrum Acoustics
I take the ambre as a NAA or roon end point with a inbuilt good grade LPS and superior clocks
That makes it an very interesting product for me

@rikhav

Ambre has very high grade power supply electronics providing clean power, thus no reason to spend on external LPS. And yes it has a damn good clock as well.

Dear Rikhav,

great questions! Let me take you step by step through where the Ambre stands,

1. Our first platform was solely focused at ROON. The reason was twofold, A) we believe RAAT is pretty powerful, and secondly it supports MQA when using Tidal.
2. We designed the Ambre is such way, that we ARE able to support multiple platforms, including Logitech Media Server, Qobuz, Airplay, Squeezelite, DLNA, UPnP, Spotify connect.
3. How to do it? First of all, there is Raspberry in the Ambre. Swapping the SD card is allowed, and if one is able to self install any of the other platforms, like DietPi or PiCoreplayer, please go ahead. Even if you exchange the SD card to support other than Roon, the warranty is still valid.
4. Why did we do it this way? Exactly because of what you said. Not everybody is willing to spend that kind of money on Roon and we believe that the client is entitled to use whatever platform on the AMBRE to stream their music.
5. We also will release the Baby Ambre, which allows for the same as written before, yet from a hardware perspective does NOT have I2S or AES/EBU, which is available on the AMBRE. This unit will sell under 42000 IR, which i think is a great proposition. The electronics are similar to the AMBRE with the same powerful clocking inside!
6. Yes, the software, when using the original ROON setup, will be updated regularly, fully automated
7. If you are interested, a client of has provided the multiboot software for the AMBRE including Dietpi, Picoreplayer etc.. in this folder
https://www.dropbox.com/s/59nvzff9ewtg0bl/dietpi-for-ambre.zip?dl=0

The above files are created by a client and not by Metrum Acoustics. It does show how easy it is to use other formats then Roon.

Metrum Acoustics itself will release an official version including the aforementioned formats within the next months.

I hope that I have been able to explain and answer your question accordingly. And i do take suggestions at heart, thank you for that.

Anjo

PS the Baby Ambre will come in the same form as the FLINT, our baby DAC. And while we are at it, spoiling new releases :)), very soon we also will have new headphone amp in the same casing as the FLINT. These three products, DAC, Headphone Amp, and Streamer, can be had for plus minus 120K IR, which in my eyes makes it very compelling to have!

Yes , you covered all the points and Knowing the raspberry pi is powering the ambre clears many of software related doubts
But yes , your approach is correct to make something tailor made for Ambre according to it's strengths
I have played a lot with raspberry pi, so completely aware of what all can be done with it
Thanks

I just hope baby ambre continues having the LPS along with the better clock board

It will be without a doubt. At Metrum Acoustics™ we do not compromise on quality or class of components since ultimately all our products should live up to the level of quality our clients have come to expect from us.

As Mr Anjo has made it clear, the baby Ambre will just be missing the I2S / AES/EBU. So your decision of whether you need the Ambre or baby amber should just be based on whether you need these input / output options.

@Spinning

Congrats Sundar on the new establishment !!! I do like metrum and owned couple of Mini Nos DACs from Metrum - Octave 1 and 2 . Both sounded good ( lack of digital glare ) with the good CD transport or with the good USB convertor . It could scale up with the quality transports .

I am sure the new models would be even more resolving and would love to hear Pavane one day in Bangalore .

Congrats Sundar on the new establishment !!! I do like metrum and owned couple of Mini Nos DACs from Metrum - Octave 1 and 2 . Both sounded good ( lack of digital glare ) with the good CD transport or with the good USB convertor . It could scale up with the quality transports .

I am sure the new models would be even more resolving and would love to hear Pavane one day in Bangalore .
Sure Vijay will let you know when its ready.

Congratulations to Metrum on setting up shop in India. I appreciate the approach that you are taking towards engaging with the audiophile community in India. As others have already mentioned, the lack of opportunities to hear a product (especially in your own listening space) before making an (expensive) audio purchase is a big drawback of this industry here. I hope you will be able to work out a way to help out the audiophile community in this area.

In addition to some of the suggestions that have come across in this thread, can I also suggest:
1. Participation in some of the hi-fi events held in India - allowing audiophiles in the major cities to hear your products
2. Participation in some of the hi-fi meets organized by hifivision members. We usually have meets at some location(s) where fellow HFV members meet to listen to audio gear and share experiences. This also gives an opportunity to some audio companies to come over and showcase their products to the audiophile community.
3. Hold exclusive roadshow events to showcase the capabilities of your products in some of the major cities, and leverage the power of communities such as HFV to seek active participation in such events

All the best towards a successful journey here.

Best,
APK

Thanks you MPW.

@Naturelover
@mpw
@captrajesh
@Nikhil
@Kannan
@bhagwan
@arj
@heliumflight

Dear Senior Members, We are willing to have a home audition model in such a way that both forum members as well as Metrum Acoustics are benefited. So I would like to think with you all on how we go about this. Has there been such thing in the past ? If so how did they do it. My intention is simple. People who are serious about trying out our products get to home audition our products (specific models) and we get the units back safely. Please feel free to share your thoughts.

@Spinning

Thanks,
Sunder.

It has been a while since this was posted but just wanted to get this moving forward if it hasn't been done so far.
Have there been any volunteers willing to come forward and audition?

It has been a while since this was posted but just wanted to get this moving forward if it hasn't been done so far.
Have there been any volunteers willing to come forward and audition?

I have given an onyx for a home demo for someone in Delhi against a deposit and this worked well both for the client as well as the company

Hello

I am auditioning onyx. I am into headphone audio. This is my first audition with a NOS R2R DAC. I am really impressed by it. Onyx offers a different sound signature as compared to my Chord Hugo 2. It has a relaxed , musical , detailed sound with no harshness, no shrill. It is quite comparable to my friend's 2 channel analogue setup in terms of tonality & sheer analogue sound.
It performs better than my other DACs. It pairs well with Violectric V281 headphone amp by Lake People.
Mr. Sunder is really helpful & cleared all my doubts.

Thanks

44870352_10156291707776185_4333122947939041280_o.jpg

44815456_10156291707761185_4593884637410885632_o.jpg

44815478_10156291707016185_2701753472516096000_o.jpg
Onyx Rear Side with Audioquest Water RCA cables

43672976_10156291706991185_8202160811095883776_o.jpg

44768060_10156291706816185_1932701911304110080_o.jpg

Violectric V281 Headphone Amp

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back