METZ OLED thread

Marakk

So METZ (Skyworth) has finally launched their OLED TV 55-inch at Rs. 99,999, which should drop more during sales. Here's the brochure from Skyworth with more details of the same set under their name, which they seem to be doing in countries like Malaysia and South Africa.

In all probability, it's a 2018 panel, even though the set might be 2019 one. Even better if it's the 2019 one. No way to without taking a macro shot of the pixels. I did research on how cheap Toshiba 2018 OLEDs perform, and it's mostly positive only, so I have taken a risk on this and purchased it. Will update when it arrives.

As the panels are by LG only, the risk doesn't seem to be that major to me. Sony/Panasonic/LG have had various bugs and complains in their sets too, so it's not like spending more will provide any guarantee. It does lack DV, but considering mixed performance reviews, bad when it comes to Sony, I'm fine without it too. Hoping the dynamic contrast option will work decently well.

The added soundbar does seem like a nifty benefit at a lower cost, especially since it'll be installed in a small room in a small-ish apartment in Mumbai, and I really don't want to rouse neighbors with super-powered sound systems . They quoted frequency response up to 50Hz in bass, which seems better than C and B series.

Digit and other press releases have also mentioned updation to android 9.0 next month along with Amazon prime video app too. European datasheet also puts the peak brightness at 800 nits.

Congratulations! When is it arriving? Waiting for the first impressions and detailed review along with photos.

Congratulations! When is it arriving? Waiting for the first impressions and detailed review along with photos.

Thanks! Tomorrow. Installation by 6th. I'll try to push and get it installed tomorrow itself. Let's see. Will give first impressions by Saturday and then a more in-depth review after a week or so.

TV has been delivered. Installation scheduled for tomorrow. Might come today too, but can't promise.

The surprising aspects are that it's actually being made in India! Plus, the manufacturing date is August 2019. Unless Skyworth stockpiled 2018 OLED panels, which seems like an expensive move, this is a 2019 panel. Amazon delivery has an open box delivery, where they'll open the box in front of you. The TV looked stunning! It has a more premium finish than LG B8 and Panasonic models which I have seen in person. The panel backing itself is midway between the thickness of LG ones and the Sony ones. Isn't as easily bendable as LG ones.

I'm pretty stoked. Hoping the uniformity and image processing is decent. It'll be a massive, massive win for customers as even with the sales, it should remain cheaper by at least 20-25k compared to LG B9.

IMG_20190905_125337.jpg

Considering this report and the date, it's possible that the deal was struck and we're getting perhaps the first open cell panels being sold by LG display. That might explain the price difference too. Only way to find for is to get a high-res macro lens. I'll see if I can source that from my friends. Of course, that's not possible if LG hadn't started it's fab by then.

TV has been delivered. Installation scheduled for tomorrow. Might come today too, but can't promise.

The surprising aspects are that it's actually being made in India! Plus, the manufacturing date is August 2019. Unless Skyworth stockpiled 2018 OLED panels, which seems like an expensive move, this is a 2019 panel. Amazon delivery has an open box delivery, where they'll open the box in front of you. The TV looked stunning! It has a more premium finish than LG B8 and Panasonic models which I have seen in person. The panel backing itself is midway between the thickness of LG ones and the Sony ones. Isn't as easily bendable as LG ones.

I'm pretty stoked. Hoping the uniformity and image processing is decent. It'll be a massive, massive win for customers as even with the sales, it should remain cheaper by at least 20-25k compared to LG B9.

View attachment 38874
Yay!! Keep us posted!!

View attachment 38874
I think if the price difference remains 20-25k, people will still prefer buying an LG over Metz because of as u know
1. Brand Name
2. The HDR formats

I think if the price difference remains 20-25k, people will still prefer buying an LG over Metz because of as u know
1. Brand Name
2. The HDR formats

Many who might have a budget of 70-80k can spring to 90k, but not 1.2 lacs. DOLBY vision is a bit overrated IMO. Infact, I was actively looking to avoid it, and that's why Panasonic FZ series was my first choice.

Also, this should cut into sales of FALD TVs that cost more and deliver sub-par HDR, even though they have higher brightness on paper, the smaller areas just can't hit those levels without massive blooming. Of course, that's if this set performs well. Let's see. Will report tomorrow.

Many who might have a budget of 70-80k can spring to 90k, but not 1.2 lacs. DOLBY vision is a bit overrated IMO. Infact, I was actively looking to avoid it, and that's why Panasonic FZ series was my first choice.

Also, this should cut into sales of FALD TVs that cost more and deliver sub-par HDR, even though they have higher brightness on paper, the smaller areas just can't hit those levels without massive blooming. Of course, that's if this set performs well. Let's see. Will report tomorrow.

Why so? Dolby vision looks quite good to many eyes, mine for sure.
Cheers,
Raghu

Why so? Dolby vision looks quite good to many eyes, mine for sure.
Cheers,
Raghu

In some cases, especially Sony's implementation, it's too dark and less impactful than regular HDR. You can read threads and threads about this for Sony TVs, many for LG too. Comparing the differences via YouTube videos about them, the biggest benefit is retention of more highlight details on DV, which can be done via dynamic tone mapping.

SDR to HDR is a big leap in visual impact. Dolby Vision or regular HDR10, both will look impactful, but considering the dodgy implementation in some shows, where DV is darker than even SDR, and the bypass is to switch to a brighter TV mode, DV bright in 2019 sets, or Cinema Home in LG 2018 sets, the claim of creator's intent falters. I have been through most of the comparisons of DV and HDR on YouTube, and difference in DV isn't that big when there is one, and sometimes it's a negative too. So it's not a must have feature for me at all. That's why my first choice was Panasonic because they have the best tone mapping in HDR.

Look at Vincent Theo's comparison. Do one thing though. On the first watch, turn off his commentary, and just watch them without knowing his opinions. See what looks good to you. There's also a Spanish comparison which actually plays and compares Netflix shows, which is better as Vincent is nitpicking shots to compare differences. In a show played from Netflix, it's mostly the same. Hardly any difference except in highlights in some shots. Although, in some, the regular HDR did better too.

I'm not paying 35k extra, which is the difference between this set and LG B9 currently, just to have DV. It's not that good at all. SDR LED sets to an HDR OLED panel will be a great jump. Also, note that B9 doesn't utilize the OLED panels to extract good peak brightness either. Plus, integrated sound bar with hopefully better sound quality is win to Metz. That's why I took the risk on this set. Whether it's a fail or not, we'll see soon enough. OLED panel with HDR itself is the biggest jump for me tbh. I'm getting that here along with saving money.

Here you go. Have a look. Not worth more than a few thousand bucks at all. 10k? Absolutely not. 35k? Hahahaha!

OK if you and Vincent Theo say so, then it should be true.
BTW, are the you tube videos shot with a 4K camera with DV remastering before upload?
Cheers,
Raghu

OK if you and Vincent Theo say so, then it should be true.
BTW, are the you tube videos shot with a 4K camera with DV remastering before upload?
Cheers,
Raghu

Actually, Vincent prefers Dolby Vision. I disagree. Is not a big deal for me.

Of course not. Is my screen HDR DOLBY vision? How many cameras can actually capture the dynamic range that's being presented in HDR shows on these TVs? Did the reviewers use those? Nope. Also, DV remastering sounds really pretentious. I totally get what you're trying to do here. How would you remaster for DV when you don't know what values the original grader used?

What you can see is that two sets next to each other are representing the image with some variation. Highlight retention can be clearly observed, even on SDR screens. Both TVs are outputting highlights at a range which camera is capturing, then you can compare, even if not entirely. For example, if exposed for highlights, blacks might be crushing more than they actually do in real life.

Anyway, let's stop this here now. This isn't about DV or HDR. It's about Metz OLED that doesn't have DV. I have made my case. Presented evidence. People can check and see for themselves. You say whatever you wanna say next, but please tie it up and let's not deviate further.

Also, maybe instead of trying to act oversmart, you should have actually gone and seen Vincent's comparison, which is 40 minutes long. Plus this video. Then replied.

Ok dude. You bought a new TV as per your requirement. Enjoy it
In the process don't diss an entire line of technology.

When asked a simple question, you throw 40 minute videos to watch.
Maybe I am over smart, I'd like think so.

Anyways I won't rain on your parade.
It is your forum as much as the next guy's
Cheers,
Raghu

Lots of strawmen arguments here. First, I didn't diss on a technology. Just said that it's not that big a deal. At least watch that ten minute video. Don't try to counter me with silly stuff. Of course you'll have to research before we can discuss it. We can't even be on the same page otherwise.

Did I tell you to not use the forum? I clearly wrote, respond but let's not deviate the thread, so make it a last response. But no, instead of responding to any of the points, as to whether you can see the difference in that ten minute video of shows being played next to next in real time.

You tried to invalidate it with technicality, even though it's not applicable. At the same dynamic range, the difference will be noticeable even if it's recorded on a camera and played back on SDR screens. Duh!

So instead of running in to counter me without even looking at the evidence, that is definitely an oversmart and silly move. Your arguments are full of fallacies. You aren't even responding to points I made. Just going off on tangents.

That's totally unproductive to the entire forum. Least you could have done is to Google Dolby vision too dark and see hordes of complaints. Some cases, people even preferred SDR to DV.

It's a technology with potential, dynamic metadata in HDR10+ does too, but it has shortcomings too. If it didn't, Dolby vision vivid and bright profiled wouldn't have existed in 2019 models. They came directly because of complaints about DV from users. And yes, if TV can tone map well on the fly with dynamic tone mapping, difference between HDR10 and DV reduces even more.

If you wanna discuss, do some research, or be logical and look at some evidence, instead of snarky responses.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back