METZ OLED thread

TV isn't turning on today. LED glows so TV is getting power. Remote has infrared light working too. Nothing comes on the screen. So much for having a trouble free product.

Hope there is some sort of return policy.
A new product should not give any user so many headaches.
Cheers,
Raghu

Hope there is some sort of return policy.
A new product should not give any user so many headaches.
Cheers,
Raghu

I am talking to Amazon about this only. The TV turned on now though, and I was taking a video too when it happened. Tried turning it on. Nothing happened. Turned power off and on then tried, it turned on. Earlier it hadn't. Just a buggy mess.

10 days ..... Send it back as "product don't like" other wise you will good friend of service guys.. keep everything documented as proof.

So Amazon return looks tough. I'll have to fight for it. There's at least one positive, that the German manual for Android TVs in general I found online mentions pixel refresher and panel maintenance in a column at the end for OLED TVs. I had been asking their customer service team about these seen three day without getting any answer. Can't be toggled manually like other OLEDs if needed, but at least it's there.

Rest of the shit is also still there though. I'll try to see if they can take my feedback and improve upon it with the update, because if that's done, then the set has potential. Otherwise it's just a pain to use, especially in a dark room. Turning backlight to 100 manually by going through media player and then having that light blasted in your eyes as you go back to play your content is infuriating. Shouldn't be happening. The logo light bug with fast boot is irritating too. Oh, 24fps judder can't be removed without soap opera effect as the motion interpolation doesn't offer customer de-judder and and de-blur settings.

Guess what though, Toshiba and Hisense OLED TVs, which are also the cheapest budget OLED TVs, have most of this covered, along with offering Dolby Vision. Skyworth really fumbled with this set. Potential wasted, as picture quality is good once you set it up right.

Last edited:
I have been following this thread from beginning. IMHO it is not worth the trouble and money. Maybe skyworth tried to push half baked product. Any new addition to home should bring happiness. My sincere suggestion is to utilize return window and be at peace.

I have been following this thread from beginning. IMHO it is not worth the trouble and money. Maybe skyworth tried to push half baked product. Any new addition to home should bring happiness. My sincere suggestion is to utilize return window and be at peace.

The picture quality is actually top notch, which is why I have been mentioning ruined potential so often. I haven't seen any stuttering in faces. Sound is good. The TV has potential to match C9 with cost savings of 30k plus. My main concern was OLED pixel refresher and had that been missing, I would have fought tooth and nail and sent it back.

Since that is there, and as I have been saying from the start, the picture looks great, I'll keep it. Saw Better Call Saul last night in 4k. Lovely! The sound is more than enough for a bedroom. The sound was at 15 actually. So it can get fairly loud without distortion. Then saw second episode of Our Planet in 4k HDR. Again, lovely! So the set has potential.

I actually just got off the call with a senior member of the team. They have promised that their team is taking everything into consideration and changes will be made with the new update, which will bring Amazon prime and Android 9 too. That shows willingness to improve their product. I'll take a chance on that. Because well, tbh they need that to be with them in order to carve a slice of the market.

Sony hasn't done that. If you're a customer of Sony's 2018 models, you're stuck with Dolby Vision that's too dark, some Netflix shows even being unwatchable, and even though 2019 sets have new modes of Bright and Vivid, 2018 ones are still waiting for any hope of an improvement. LG's 2018 sets had a delayed luminance adjustment happening in 2018 too which took a few months to resolve. Vincent also pointed it out. Of course, flashing problems of near black also happened in 2018 and have continued in 2019 for Sony at least.

So I'll take the positive intent of the team, which was lacking in the first time I had talked to them, and bet on it. Apart from 24fps judder removal via custom motion interpolation settings, the picture quality is flawless. Even tonal gradations were fantastic, close to perfect with DNR and MPEG NR set to low, in Our Planet underwater scenes. LG B9 scored surprisingly low in gradient test on Rtings, which was a bummer. Infact, I even asked Rtings whether it can be panel variance or seems intentional. Tough to know, but business wise, it makes sense to make the B9 seem inferior to C9, even though the difference was really hard to notice earlier.

If they come true on their promise of improving the user experience and offering a few essential tweaks, it'll be a highly recommended set for casual and regular viewers. I'll actually do a video review when the new upgrade comes. Time to show Indian reviewers how it should be done, even if it's going to be a one-off thing.

The picture quality is actually top notch, which is why I have been mentioning ruined potential so often. I haven't seen any stuttering in faces. Sound is good. The TV has potential to match C9 with cost savings of 30k plus. My main concern was OLED pixel refresher and had that been missing, I would have fought tooth and nail and sent it back.

Since that is there, and as I have been saying from the start, the picture looks great, I'll keep it. Saw Better Call Saul last night in 4k. Lovely! The sound is more than enough for a bedroom. The sound was at 15 actually. So it can get fairly loud without distortion. Then saw second episode of Our Planet in 4k HDR. Again, lovely! So the set has potential.

I actually just got off the call with a senior member of the team. They have promised that their team is taking everything into consideration and changes will be made with the new update, which will bring Amazon prime and Android 9 too. That shows willingness to improve their product. I'll take a chance on that. Because well, tbh they need that to be with them in order to carve a slice of the market.

Sony hasn't done that. If you're a customer of Sony's 2018 models, you're stuck with Dolby Vision that's too dark, some Netflix shows even being unwatchable, and even though 2019 sets have new modes of Bright and Vivid, 2018 ones are still waiting for any hope of an improvement. LG's 2018 sets had a delayed luminance adjustment happening in 2018 too which took a few months to resolve. Vincent also pointed it out. Of course, flashing problems of near black also happened in 2018 and have continued in 2019 for Sony at least.

So I'll take the positive intent of the team, which was lacking in the first time I had talked to them, and bet on it. Apart from 24fps judder removal via custom motion interpolation settings, the picture quality is flawless. Even tonal gradations were fantastic, close to perfect with DNR and MPEG NR set to low, in Our Planet underwater scenes. LG B9 scored surprisingly low in gradient test on Rtings, which was a bummer. Infact, I even asked Rtings whether it can be panel variance or seems intentional. Tough to know, but business wise, it makes sense to make the B9 seem inferior to C9, even though the difference was really hard to notice earlier.

If they come true on their promise of improving the user experience and offering a few essential tweaks, it'll be a highly recommended set for casual and regular viewers. I'll actually do a video review when the new upgrade comes. Time to show Indian reviewers how it should be done, even if it's going to be a one-off thing.
Your outlook is positive on this product. All the best.

Your outlook is positive on this product. All the best.

It wasn't till I finally got to know that OLED panel maintenance features are actually present. Then the team also contacted this time with the intent to understand and implement essential changes. Not even asking for a whole lot here. Just the main stuff. So if that happens, I'll say buy it! Timing wise, it would be wise for them to get it done within a month. Let's see. I have given it 3 stars on Amazon right now. Will update the review and this thread, maybe start a new one, once the update comes. Let people get an informed view without going through my pages long ramblings. Damn, can I rant! Hahahaha!

If you're a customer of Sony's 2018 models, you're stuck with Dolby Vision that's too dark, some Netflix shows even being unwatchable,
I own Sony 55" x9000f tv and couldn't find that too dim/dark on any DV shows.. Actualy i find the opposite on most of the DV titles on netflix and amazon prime, its quite bright and vivid.
watching "Our planet" on the native Netlix tv app is surreal. Even i've downloaded the same series as HDR webrip . Thought its equally good, its not same as DV counter part. I still prefer DV.
Everyone has different taste i believe :)

I own Sony 55" x9000f tv and couldn't find that too dim/dark on any DV shows.. Actualy i find the opposite on most of the DV titles on netflix and amazon prime, its quite bright and vivid.
watching "Our planet" on the native Netlix tv app is surreal. Even i've downloaded the same series as HDR webrip . Thought its equally good, its not same as DV counter part. I still prefer DV.
Everyone has different taste i believe :)

These are just a couple of threads for the set you mentioned. Literally hundreds of threads exist on various forums for Sony 2018 sets and Dolby Vision, which is why now there are three different Dolby Vision modes. Not everyone is having these problems, but majority has brought it forward.

Earlier the hype was that you'll get creator's intent on Dolby Vision. So creator has three different intents? Users weren't happy. New modes were inteoduced. Anyway, this thread isn't about Dolby Vision. So let's not go back and forth on that again here. Done that once already.

Last edited:
Are you akash makkar who wrote the tv review in amazon? It is technically strong .

Yeah! That's me. Thanks! I'll do a video review too after the update. Frustrated with these TV reviewers in India.

I haven't mentioned some more features that exist in LG and Pansonic sets that would be nice to have, as I felt let's not overburden them just yet. Let's get the crucial basics down first. Rest can come later. They aren't deal breakers.

I knew Vincent had specifically mentioned it somewhere too; Sony's DV not being that good even on the high-end OLED set. Watch from 13:47

Of course, I'm not saying that those who have them and are satisfied too are wrong. It just illustrates that when viewed in isolation, shortcomings aren't always apparent, or they might not even exist based on the viewer.

Anyway, based on my research, Dolby Vision isn't something for which one should be paying 20-30k extra. VRR and HDMI 2.1; now those might be important depending on the person and their usage.

I have managed to take macro shots of the pixels. Reversed a lens and then used my tummy as stabilizer. Manual focus.

It does seem to be a 2019 panel. Awesome!

While the notches on green or blue sub-pixels don't resemble the photos of 2019 OLEDS on Rtings, the size of the red sub pixel matches the 2019 sets. Compared to 2018 OLEDs, the blue sub-pixel size has been reduced and the red sub-pixel is now almost as big as the white one. This means better burn-in resistance, as the red sub-pixel has been the one to degrade the most. Even if you watch news channels and TV channels for 3-4 hours everyday, burn-in shouldn't happen for a good 4-5 years at least if you aren't using it on torch mode. t.

Now if Metz can get their software in order, this set absolutely makes overpriced FALD sets with puny 50-60 zones redundant. Should indeed shake up the market. Picture quality is indeed amazing! Everything is brilliant picture quality wise except for motion as 24fps judder is a noticeable (happens in every TV, more noticeable on OLED) in some panning shots and needs custom motion settings.

Listening, Metz folks? Get it done and fast!

Attachments

• P1200756_s.jpg
    P1200756_s.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 9
  • P1200760_s.jpg
    P1200760_s.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 9
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back