METZ OLED thread

I have managed to take macro shots of the pixels. Reversed a lens and then used my tummy as stabilizer. Manual focus.

It does seem to be a 2019 panel. Awesome!

While the notches on green or blue sub-pixels don't resemble the photos of 2019 OLEDS on Rtings, the size of the red sub pixel matches the 2019 sets. Compared to 2018 OLEDs, the blue sub-pixel size has been reduced and the red sub-pixel is now almost as big as the white one. This means better burn-in resistance, as the red sub-pixel has been the one to degrade the most. Even if you watch news channels and TV channels for 3-4 hours everyday, burn-in shouldn't happen for a good 4-5 years at least if you aren't using it on torch mode. t.

Now if Metz can get their software in order, this set absolutely makes overpriced FALD sets with puny 50-60 zones redundant. Should indeed shake up the market. Picture quality is indeed amazing! Everything is brilliant picture quality wise except for motion as 24fps judder is a noticeable (happens in every TV, more noticeable on OLED) in some panning shots and needs custom motion settings.

Listening, Metz folks? Get it done and fast!
Let me know once u receive the updates :p I might order one !! :D

Let me know once u receive the updates :p I might order one !! :D

I will. Till then, it is frustrating to use. I hope they get it done within a month or so. Then I can truly recommend this TV before sales. As of now, picture quality is sublime, but just tweaking the settings is a pain.

I started watching What We Do In The Shadows TV show today, and as it's on Hotstar, which doesn't have as good streaming quality as Netflix, along with the show having quite some grain, even some noise, as a stylistic choice it seems, I wanted to increase MPEG NR to medium. Now even in SDR I have to go through unnecessary steps in order to increase it when I watch this show, but then reduce it while watching everything else that I'm watching currently. Just make it easier for users, folks!

The good thing for users is that if these guys do manage to make the software good and soon, they can sell well, and then next year, with 48 inch OLED panels, we can see OLEDs touching 60-70k price range, which means they can now truly penetrate even the the mid-range market.

The TV is now selling at 1.2 on amazon!

Whoops! I guess they are gonna hold the 99,999 price in sales then.

It's a buy only if the software is updated. Btw, I have turned off even MPEG NR along with DNR. So much for processing. Lol

DNR even at low was causing really subtle issues with motion of slow moving heads.

MPEG NR, while it does help sometimes, but otherwise even in low quality content, like the third episode of GoT or What We Do In The Shadows show that I'm watching currently, it can clean up some parts but then at some others it creates blocks.

Tough to explain or even show on YouTube. YT's compression only will make it tough to see difference.

Anyway, my thinking as of now is that since the compressioneams that in those areas info is already low, NR can't really do much except even kick that low info out and make it a smooth block. That itself can cause issues, like when the dead finally attack. With NR it was just like a black blob approaching, because all the subtleties of shape were lost.

In video editing too NR filters work best when applied on higher bit rate files or Ras files.

So now all of the processing is off, except DI film mode, which just ensures 24fps content plays at the right cadence. Will test that too in my video review.

Now I wonder if smooth gradation, that's now separate in 2019 LG sets, and has been separate in Sony ones till earlier, might be more useful in just removing posterization without losing too much info. Although, reviews of its performance by Vincent and other sites have been mixed only.

Anyway, thought train over. I sometimes wonder why am I even typing so much. Lol

From LG C9 owner's thread over at Avforums. DV isn't a big deal. Flashing however is a big one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019_0914_020051.jpg
    Screenshot_2019_0914_020051.jpg
    590.3 KB · Views: 36
Sent back the TV because of the flashing/chrominance overshoot issue. One problem too many. Some other brave soul will have to find out if they resolved the issues with an update or not.

U were our only hope so far !!

The only fool. Lol!

Oh well, I really wish they had at least nailed the basics. There was a void in this price range. 60-100k sets are not worth that cost at all, even if from reputed brands.

Anyway, I'm gonna stick to LG only now, or Panasonic if they launch and price isn't too extravagant.

Sent back the TV because of the flashing/chrominance overshoot issue. One problem too many. Some other brave soul will have to find out if they resolved the issues with an update or not.
Good to know that the manufacturer agreed to take the TV back.

Good to know that the manufacturer agreed to take the TV back.

Amazon took it back. The panel flashing is a panel defect. Many people returned their sets in 2018. Even LG support said to one that they understand if they want to return it. They know they fucked up. Here, Metz wanted to replace it. I said no. LG took months and months to improve C8, and that was by introducing black crush, which was again kinda solved after some months. B8 has been ignored a bit. So I don't think Metz can now rush an update. I mean, they have showcased this model since almost 10 months. No one paid any attention to resolving these issues in that time. So can it even be done now? Is the processor capable enough?

Wow! You mean Amazon accepted it outside the return window? How did you manage to convince them?

Wow! You mean Amazon accepted it outside the return window? How did you manage to convince them?

It was in the return window when I started the return. They did say though that I don't have to worry about return window if there's a panel defect; one or two days won't matter. I sent them videos first of the panel flashing, but they couldn't play them back. So I sent photos of the issue and pointed it out on phone too. They accepted the return as soon as they saw it. Although, one hiccup was that they said that uninstallation is on the manufacturer. So I had to call Metz and get it uninstalled. Took some extra days. Back now. Got the money refund within a few hours.

Amazon has excellent customer service. Hats off!

Yeah! My experience with them has been better than Flipkart. Although, the third party contractor they use as troubleshooting team are not good. Not punctual. Didn't even turn up the second time. Plus they don't want to understand the issues or listen to the customer either. Dealing with Amazon customer service people directly is much better.

Buy the way croma still selling b855 model at 82k ....
What difference I'm going to experience if I go with B8 and not the C8? My usage is mostly movie/series watching over Netflix/prime and other streaming services + little bit of news/knowledge on DTH. I'm thinking of getting one (at decent outgoing price) before all 2018 models are gone. just a quick q, If this is OT, feel free to remove.

Last edited:
It was in the return window when I started the return. They did say though that I don't have to worry about return window if there's a panel defect; one or two days won't matter. I sent them videos first of the panel flashing, but they couldn't play them back. So I sent photos of the issue and pointed it out on phone too. They accepted the return as soon as they saw it. Although, one hiccup was that they said that uninstallation is on the manufacturer. So I had to call Metz and get it uninstalled. Took some extra days. Back now. Got the money refund within a few hours.
Wow. Reading this thread is like a riding a roller coaster. Finally you made the wise decision by returning this and happy to know that you got the refund from amazon without any hassle . Kudos to amazon customer support. This was a good lesson not only to you, but for everyone else.

This is the reason consumer electronics divided into 3 major categories, low / medium / premium budget. People need to understand their financial strength and choose accordingly. Else they'll get disappointed.
Typically, most of the people wants to have premium quality in medium or low budget. Can't blame them. But this is the root cause of the issue.
If you want to enjoy the 4K HDR titles in their fully glory, you need to be ready to shell out at least 1L . This is the current TV market in india. Blame it on our tax structures. ;) Lets hope it changes soon.

In the end "Well, you get what you pay for."

What difference I'm going to experience if I go with B8 and not the C8? My usage is mostly movie/series watching over Netflix/prime and other streaming services + little bit of news/knowledge on DTH. I'm thinking of getting one (at decent outgoing price) before all 2018 models are gone. just a quick q, If this is OT, feel free to remove.

Rtings had B8 as their recommended set for 2018. The difference in image quality is almost the same. C8 gets a little brighter, so HDR pops more, but then also has stronger ABL. The main difference is that B8 hasn't gotten updates as frequently as C8, which means that the black crush isn't solved on B8 yet, and it's doubtful whether it'll happen now. So considering that, I'll suggest go for C8. If you can't stretch for it, know that B8 will still be exceptional; better than any TV you can get right now, apart from another OLED. Just slight black crush will happen, which you can adjust too if you notice it and it bothers you.

Wow. Reading this thread is like a riding a roller coaster. Finally you made the wise decision by returning this and happy to know that you got the refund from amazon without any hassle . Kudos to amazon customer support. This was a good lesson not only to you, but for everyone else.

This is the reason consumer electronics divided into 3 major categories, low / medium / premium budget. People need to understand their financial strength and choose accordingly. Else they'll get disappointed.
Typically, most of the people wants to have premium quality in medium or low budget. Can't blame them. But this is the root cause of the issue.
If you want to enjoy the 4K HDR titles in their fully glory, you need to be ready to shell out at least 1L . This is the current TV market in india. Blame it on our tax structures. ;) Lets hope it changes soon.

In the end "Well, you get what you pay for."

Well, I have complained and wondered whether it's really the tax structures that bump up the prices here in India, not just the high-end ones, but even at the lower end. However, since I have already had this discussion in the OLED price thread, don't want to get into it again.

Considering that now government is cutting duty on open cell panels from 5% to 0%, and that Skyworth has signed a deal with LG displays to take open cell panels from their new fab, we can have even cheaper Skyworth sets in the future. If they get even the basics right, especially motion, they will shake up the market.

Here's hoping they do that, as that'll ensure that prices drop streadily in India too for OLEDs.

If I couldn't have stretched my budget beyond 1 lac, I would have stuck with this TV, and taken a replacement, as there's no alternative. No other set in this price brakcet can even come close to the OLED panel. However, since I can extend to get the C9 or GZ950 if it launches, I'll take those instead to get all the advance picture processing settings to get the best image quality from a similar panel.

Back