mid range driver required

rajesh srinivas

hi everyone.

I require a good mid range driver for my 3way mains,center/2way surround project under progress as per the picture,

The box and driver placement design is taken from clearwave,and also has reference to the project already done by one of our member Mr. Amit pandeya his link as below:

http://www.hifivision.com/diy/59106-home-made-5-1-channel-speakers.html

the other drivers choosen for midbass and treble are.

1. Peerless kevlar cone M16KI midbass which will be crossed at 500hz.
2. Peerless silk dome tweeter TL25SN or TL26SG which is better????above 4000 hz.
3. peerless 12inch sub which i have already built and using crossed at 80hz.

other options:
1. Peerless midrange M13NH (5.25inch) according to experts it is suitable to cross Max at 2KHZ.

2.Peerless M10NG is a upper mid range driver but lacks midrange.

if i combine both M13NH (midrange 500-2khz) with M10NG (2-4khz) then it will be a 4way setup more difficult to design the xover.

i am confused here which way to go or there are other single mid driver which can cover the freq from 500hZ to 4khz.

r.s/

Attachments

• clearwave 4tse 4ccse.jpg
    clearwave 4tse 4ccse.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 225
Namaskara Rajesh

Peerless India is generally the best driver available here, though I cant recommend a specific model, since I am not personally familiar with them.

Namaskara Rajesh

Peerless India is generally the best driver available here, though I cant recommend a specific model, since I am not personally familiar with them.

Namaskara GeorgeO

N?vu h?gidd?ra,yes u/stand peerless is the only option in terms of quality and price that is available in india,but not getting suitable mid driver that covers up my required frequency.

T.anthony is also helping me since he has used the drivers mentioned by me,its through his feedback i have come to know the drivers limitation.

requesting all the hifi members who can throw some light to help me overcome my problem only the mid range part.

Hi Rajesh, Peerless India had a M16, Kevlar version that is a good driver. Good midrange and MTM ported has good bass.

Hi Rajesh, Peerless India had a M16, Kevlar version that is a good driver. Good midrange and MTM ported has good bass.

hi sunilj,

For low mids i will be using peerless M16 Kevlar (6.5inch, 8ohms) again there is 2 option of the same manufacture and of the same product, a black cone from (audiocrafts) and yellow cone from (diyaudiocart) both have different T/S parameters though? dont know why's the difference,and which one is better.
Black cone has FS-46.15, yellow FS-34.37

links for both.

M16KI- 6.5" Black Kevlar Woofer

Peerless Fabrikkerne (I) Ltd - 6.5" Kevlar Woofer - M16KI

hi sunilj,

For low mids i will be using peerless M16 Kevlar (6.5inch, 8ohms) again there is 2 option of the same manufacture and of the same product, a black cone from (audiocrafts) and yellow cone from (diyaudiocart) both have different T/S parameters though? dont know why's the difference,and which one is better.

links for both.

The Black is Carbon Fiber not Kevlar and I think that is not available now.

TC9FD-18-08 is better than RS-100, but not in stock

Thanks,
Bibin

Hi Rajesh,
I am trying to understand the reason why M13KH should be crossed max at 2kHz? Can you please help.
I have this driver and I need help in determining crossover frequency for this.
I am confused as the FR graph shows flat response till 5kHz and I bought this thinking I can cross anywhere between 3-4kHz :)
http://theaudiocrafts.com/image/data/m13kh-g.jpg

Thanks,
Anirudha

I've tried the Kevlar 'yellow' cones and they sound very good. Surprising bass for their size as well.

hi sunilj,

links for both.

I am trying to understand the reason why M13KH should be crossed max at 2kHz? Can you please help.
I am confused as the FR graph shows flat response till 5kHz and I bought this thinking I can cross anywhere between 3-4kHz :)

Thanks,
Anirudha

There is a peak about 1.5Khz indicating cone breakup. Cone breakup is the point beyond which the cone ceases to be pistonic in motion and starts to flex. The flexing causes resonances which are not harmonically related to the signal. These non-harmonic resonances could sound bad and it's better to avoid. Even though there are ways to handle breakup modes via crossover, it's easier to avoid this issue by crossing at a lower frequency.

Behavior of the driver after the breakup point depends mainly on the cone material, coated paper cones like the M13NH have well damped breakup modes, but the rigid Kevlar cone in M13KH have a more pronounced breakup mode.

I have used both drivers in the past and did not find the Kevlar driver's breakup modes a deal breaker. Feel free to experiment with higher crossover frequencies :)

Last edited:
The Black is Carbon Fiber not Kevlar and I think that is not available now.

TC9FD-18-08 is better than RS-100, but not in stock

Thanks,
Bibin

hi bibin

thanks for sharing your information,according to audiocraft Mr. aminder the black cone is kevlar,and you are right will not be available anymore,only we
get the kevlar M16KI (yellow cone).

TC9FD-18-08 when will the stock be available in diyaudiocart.????

R/S

hi bibin

thanks for sharing your information,according to audiocraft Mr. aminder the black cone is kevlar,and you are right will not be available anymore,only we
get the kevlar M16KI (yellow cone).

TC9FD-18-08 when will the stock be available in diyaudiocart.????

R/S

TC9FD-18-08, will be back in stock in a day or two.

Thanks,
Bibin

though the freq response curves of the TCF9 are great the dayton RS 100 have very good measusred values and much lower distortion figures

personally i like them more

Hi Rajesh,

Thanks,
Anirudha

hi
ANIRUDHA

Are you having the earlier M13KH 5.25inch its a kevlar cone (yellow colour),what we are discussing is M13NH papercone,and M13KH is no more available.

if you are using as 2 way then,it can be crossed around 2khz no issue,but the tweeter should be good one to take over from there.

Got the latest F/R graph and T/S Specs as on dt. 19.4.2014) of the M13NH PAPER CONE from audiocraft ,i have personally spoken to Aminder (proprietor) he says the earlier M13NH prior to 2014 had indeed cone breakup issue above 1.5khz and has also as indicated by t.anthony.

Now aminder says the new batch of M13NH is far better then the earlier driver,its F/R AND T/S specs is shown as below.

Now the ?, .. is he true..

thanks
t/s

Last edited:
Is there any way to get rid of peaks due cone breakup?
Can something like an active notch filter help in this case?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back