Mission M33i

Expect good bass from the BS thats why the post. Wh 9.2, Mission are on the hitlist. My music preferences are rock, Disco, and Tamil Film songs(esp Ilaiyaraaja- My Profile pic), & AR Rahman.

Murali, I am sure a lot of people will disagree with me, but for your requirements, please also consider floor standing (FS) speakers with a separate low frequency driver which is at least 6.5 inches if not 8 inches. FS speakers will give you a larger sound stage and also handle your bass requirements better. They could also unnecessarily bloat the base in some songs. But you have to work out what you are ready to live with.

Let me give you an example.

I saw Varnam Ayiram twice in Inox. When I saw it the first time, there was something about the songs that hit me as being strange. So I went again and listened to the songs in the cinema hall with my eyes closed. Even then I could not pin point to myself what I was listening for.

In any case, i went and purchased a few copies of the music CDs, and familiarised myself with all the songs. I used the CD in many of my auditions, and I always found something missing. This was not the way they sounded in the cinema hall. The clarity was there, Hariharan's voice came across extremely well, the twang of the guitar was there, and the female chorus was subtle and sweet. But something was missing. After some thinking, I left it to my wild imagination.

Last weekend, I was in Coimbatore and I was auditioning Audire's massive Solaris amplifier for Cranky. Pumping out 600 watts per channel in A/AB class formation, this was a massive amplifier. Sharath Chandran of Audire had connected the amplifier to a pair of Performance 6 speakers from Mordaunt Short. These are difficult speakers to drive and can easily suck power. (Specifications / Performance 6 / Performance / Products / Mordaunt Short). I went through my usual albums and was just getting ready to close the auditioning, when Sharath invited me to play a Tamil Film song. Very curious why he was doing that, I popped in a Varnam Ayiram CD, and was immediately shocked. This was not the music I was listening to in other systems. Wondering what was happening, I played the song again, and then it hit me. I was inside the Inox cinema again. This Amplifier/Speaker pair was recreating the exact sound stage that was missing amongst all other system I was hearing. Harris Jayaraj had recorded the songs with a large sound stage that is more reminiscent of Western Orchestra than Indian film songs. The fact that Sharath had placed the speakers some 15 feet from each other, and the massive power being pumped by the Solaris was adding to the sound stage.

Rushing back home, I played the album through both my bookshelves, and my FS speakers with the same amplifier and player. The difference was immediately apparent. The FS were beating the BS in presenting the sound stage in these particular numbers.

So I would request you to listen to both bookshelves and floor standers, and decide what you like.

Cheers

Murali, I am sure a lot of people will disagree with me, but for your requirements, please also consider floor standing (FS) speakers with a separate low frequency driver which is at least 6.5 inches if not 8 inches. FS speakers will give you a larger sound stage and also handle your bass requirements better. They could also unnecessarily bloat the base in some songs. But you have to work out what you are ready to live with.

Let me give you an example.

I saw Varnam Ayiram twice in Inox. When I saw it the first time, there was something about the songs that hit me as being strange. So I went again and listened to the songs in the cinema hall with my eyes closed. Even then I could not pin point to myself what I was listening for.

In any case, i went and purchased a few copies of the music CDs, and familiarised myself with all the songs. I used the CD in many of my auditions, and I always found something missing. This was not the way they sounded in the cinema hall. The clarity was there, Hariharan's voice came across extremely well, the twang of the guitar was there, and the female chorus was subtle and sweet. But something was missing. After some thinking, I left it to my wild imagination.

Last weekend, I was in Coimbatore and I was auditioning Audire's massive Solaris amplifier for Cranky. Pumping out 600 watts per channel in A/AB class formation, this was a massive amplifier. Sharath Chandran of Audire had connected the amplifier to a pair of Performance 6 speakers from Mordaunt Short. These are difficult speakers to drive and can easily suck power. (Specifications / Performance 6 / Performance / Products / Mordaunt Short). I went through my usual albums and was just getting ready to close the auditioning, when Sharath invited me to play a Tamil Film song. Very curious why he was doing that, I popped in a Varnam Ayiram CD, and was immediately shocked. This was not the music I was listening to in other systems. Wondering what was happening, I played the song again, and then it hit me. I was inside the Inox cinema again. This Amplifier/Speaker pair was recreating the exact sound stage that was missing amongst all other system I was hearing. Harris Jayaraj had recorded the songs with a large sound stage that is more reminiscent of Western Orchestra than Indian film songs. The fact that Sharath had placed the speakers some 15 feet from each other, and the massive power being pumped by the Solaris was adding to the sound stage.

Rushing back home, I played the album through both my bookshelves, and my FS speakers with the same amplifier and player. The difference was immediately apparent. The FS were beating the BS in presenting the sound stage in these particular numbers.

So I would request you to listen to both bookshelves and floor standers, and decide what you like.

Cheers

Hi Venkat,
What bookshelf speakers were you comparing to the performance 6 ? What amp are you using with your bookshelf speakers ?

Last edited:
What bookshelf speakers were you comparing to the performance 6 ? What amp are you using with your bookshelf speakers ?

I was not comparing my bookshelves with the Performance 6. They are no match.

At home I tried PSB Alpha B1s, and Aperion Audio's 532 LRs. These were compared to my Wharfedale's 9.5s using the same Onkyo 875 in all three cases. I used both my Oppo 983 and a NAD 515BEE CD Player as sources.

The Audire Solaris and MS Performance 6 just opened my eyes. I was not comparing my home equipment to that. My equipment can never match to the Solaris/Performance combination.

The point I was trying to make is, given the same source and amplification, the songs from Varnam Ayiram sound completely different in a FS as compared to a BS. That is all.

Cheers

Cheers

At home I tried PSB Alpha B1s, and Aperion Audio's 532 LRs. These were compared to my Wharfedale's 9.5s using the same Onkyo 875 in all three cases. I used both my Oppo 983 and a NAD 515BEE CD Player as sources.

The Audire Solaris and MS Performance 6 just opened my eyes. I was not comparing my home equipment to that. My equipment can never match to the Solaris/Performance combination.

The point I was trying to make is, given the same source and amplification, the songs from Varnam Ayiram sound completely different in a FS as compared to a BS. That is all.

Cheers

Cheers

Thanks Venkat for the quick reply.:)
A well implemented (read-costly) floor stander in a large room and setup correctly can sound massive with a large sound stage. The big woofers will take the load out of the mid units and they will perform to their optimum.

Cheers

Cheers

Yup! I am finding out that decent mid priced floorstanders are not bad at all. In fact they are lovely for music. I hope to come back with with my reviews of a few speakers probably after a month. Right now it is decision time:)

thats music to my ears Venkat..I have always been biased towards floorstanders. Call it the love of big or whatever. But most people in stereo seem to talk or appreciate BS more than FS...Even now while I am evaluating a stereo setup for myself..i am looking out for FS..nice to hear this been confirmed..:)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back