Mixing ported and sealed sub

Love4sound

Has any one tried using ported and sealed sub in a dual set up? If so what subs are you using? I am curious to know if it’s possible and if some one in the forum has achieved good bass in such a set up

I did set up duals & successfully used them for many many years before selling them both recently.
The subs I used were pb12 plus (in all ports open mode) & sb 13 ultra.
It was a seamless addition & i have a 7.1 channel amp so they were daisy chained.

I did set up duals & successfully used them for many many years before selling them both recently.
The subs I used were pb12 plus (in all ports open mode) & sb 13 ultra.
It was a seamless addition & i have a 7.1 channel amp so they were daisy chained.
Thanks I am considering adding rythmik L12 with my xtz 12.17 so wanted to check

Thanks I am considering adding rythmik L12 with my xtz 12.17 so wanted to check
Its always better to use dual subs from the same manufacturer & same models. That will be the best to give seamless bass in your room.
Every subwoofer is different in speed, depth etc. Better you get another exact model of sub you already have.

Its always better to use dual subs from the same manufacturer & same models. That will be the best to give seamless bass in your room.
Every subwoofer is different in speed, depth etc. Better you get another exact model of sub you already have.
Yeah I have that in mind as well. I will try to demo first and then finalise.

Do that, dual subs of same brand & model will give you the best bass all around your room.
Do it once & do it Right ;)
Haha sure. I borrowed a 6 inch 50 watt Yamaha sub from my bro that comes in the Yamaha Yht299 HTIB and paired it with xtz 12.17 .The results were amazing. It solved a lot of bass issues I have been fighting in my room for a year.Bass above 50HZ is totally dead so no punch at all in my room.18-50 Hz is solid so the rumbling and powerful bass i can feel but car crash, punching kind of action sequences are flat. Explosions are flat and muffled.1st image red graph Xtz 12.17 after audysey. 2nd image xtz and Yamaha sub. So was thinking if the Yamaha sub itself got me 60-70% satisfied the L12 which I demoed and liked very much May be even better. Reason to consider L12 apart from performance is the size. It’s very compact and will not occupy much space

Attachments

• EF2BF73C-9889-4EB2-B648-2A707ABACFFC.jpeg
    EF2BF73C-9889-4EB2-B648-2A707ABACFFC.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 31
  • D1FBAB11-D208-48F0-9734-FC4724EF1665.jpeg
    D1FBAB11-D208-48F0-9734-FC4724EF1665.jpeg
    86.6 KB · Views: 32
Haha sure. I borrowed a 6 inch 50 watt Yamaha sub from my bro that comes in the Yamaha Yht299 HTIB and paired it with xtz 12.17 .The results were amazing. It solved a lot of bass issues I have been fighting in my room for a year.Bass above 50HZ is totally dead so no punch at all in my room.18-50 Hz is solid so the rumbling and powerful bass i can feel but car crash, punching kind of action sequences are flat. Explosions are flat and muffled.1st image red graph Xtz 12.17 after audysey. 2nd image xtz and Yamaha sub. So was thinking if the Yamaha sub itself got me 60-70% satisfied the L12 which I demoed and liked very much May be even better. Reason to consider L12 apart from performance is the size. It’s very compact and will not occupy much space
The improvement that you see may be due to yamaha acting as mid bass module, so if you buy another xtz 12.17 it wont help much above 50hz,this is my hunch and it can be completely wrong. I like to hear about this subject more from fm's

I have polk Hts12 and have similar experience of good low end but weak above 50hz,so even if i add another hts12 it wont improve anything above 50hz, right? i haven't measured or anything just my thoughts.

The improvement that you see may be due to yamaha acting as mid bass module, so if you buy another xtz 12.17 it wont help much above 50hz,this is my hunch and it can be completely wrong. I like to hear about this subject more from fm's

I have polk Hts12 and have similar experience of good low end but weak above 50hz,so even if i add another hts12 it wont improve anything above 50hz, right? i haven't measured or anything just my thoughts.
No that’s no how dual works. Adding another xtz or in your case another hts 12 will definitely improve the mid bass. If a 6 inch 50 watts sub improved mid bass why not a 12 inch 500 watts xtz. Currently my xtz suffers in mid bass in the front position. I placed the Yamaha sub diagonally opposite in the back and when two sub works as one and properly aligned it helps in smoothing the peaks and nulls in the room.

No that’s no how dual works. Adding another xtz or in your case another hts 12 will definitely improve the mid bass. If a 6 inch 50 watts sub improved mid bass why not a 12 inch 500 watts xtz. Currently my xtz suffers in mid bass in the front position. I placed the Yamaha sub diagonally opposite in the back and when two sub works as one and properly aligned it helps in smoothing the peaks and nulls in the room.
Isn't the big ported subs weak above 50hz?thats my concern, so i was thinking, that yamaha sub may have added mid bass in your setup.

Isn't the big ported subs weak above 50hz?thats my concern, so i was thinking, that yamaha sub may have added mid bass in your setup.
You can’t say it’s weak,main issue is room and placement. Let me give u an example.So the first image green graph is pure direct graph of xtz placed in front. The second graph is pure direct curve of sub placed in the rear. See how bad the dip in the low bass but the mid bass is much better and in fact even the pure direct graph is much better then the audysey graph of sub in front position for mid region. So I can’t say xtz is weak in low bass based on the second graph.

Attachments

• 3BBC9340-5A04-42FF-8742-872A74AAF459.jpeg
    3BBC9340-5A04-42FF-8742-872A74AAF459.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 26
  • F527B5C1-E0EB-4ED1-BC0B-125C8FFD8505.jpeg
    F527B5C1-E0EB-4ED1-BC0B-125C8FFD8505.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 29
You can’t say it’s weak,main issue is room and placement. Let me give u an example.So the first image green graph is pure direct graph of xtz placed in front. The second graph is pure direct curve of sub placed in the rear. See how bad the dip in the low bass but the mid bass is much better and in fact even the pure direct graph is much better then the audysey graph of sub in front position for mid region. So I can’t say xtz is weak in low bass based on the second graph.
Oh so much difference in response...! thanks for sharing

Oh so much difference in response...! thanks for sharing
Yeah auditioning a sub in different place is not going to help us arrive at good bass in our room. Only best way is to measure the response in our place trying different placement. For people who can’t have home demo best is to buy the biggest and powerful sub within budget and calibrate using rew. I have learnt that home demo is the most important factor for finalising a subwoofer and I am lucky enough to get few good subs for home demo

I am planning to do that. My current sub is a Deftech pro sub 200 and adding a Rythmik sealed F12. Will use them together or if the combo is bad, ditch the Deftech. Hopefully will learn from this thread and can update once I get the Rythmik.

I do have a Rythmik and XTZ sub in Dual sub configuration and they both integrated so well. Low, Mid and high bass are so good with dual setup. However, both my subs are ported. I have even uploaded the response chart in the Rythmik official thread. link below:
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/rythmik-subwoofer-owner’s-official-thread.78321/post-912433
The red graph has two nulls and the green has a peak in the 80-100 region. Have you managed to flatten it? Gunshots, punches, bomb blasts are the major issues I am having right now. Low bass seems fine
I am planning to do that. My current sub is a Deftech pro sub 200 and adding a Rythmik sealed F12. Will use them together or if the combo is bad, ditch the Deftech. Hopefully will learn from this thread and can update once I get the Rythmik.
I will audition and decide. Waiting for drilling and wiring work to be completed for atmos and cable extension. Once that is done I’ll have to finish my carpet work and basic room treatment. Once all these are completed I’ll test dual xtz and a single xtz with L12 at my place

The red graph has two nulls and the green has a peak in the 80-100 region. Have you managed to flatten it? Gunshots, punches, bomb blasts are the major issues I am having right now. Low bass seems fine
The Green graph is the one that I am using and it has all the midbass needde. Infact, the Gunshots in the movie Worldwar-z can be felt in the cheast so well. The 85 to 95hz peak was due to the main speakers. Infact, I am getting the peak even when I measure with both the subs off and hence, I couldn't rid the peak even with Minidsp, and Audyssey only worsens that spot. The red is with Audyssey at reference and that only creates null so I have set the Audyssey at Bypass L/R and that is the Green graph, which is much better sounding for both music and movies.

Last edited:
The Green graph is the one that I am using and it has all the midbass needde. Infact, the Gunshots in the movie Worldwar-z can be felt in the cheast so well. The 85 to 95hz peak was due to the main speakers. Infact, I am getting the peak even when I measure with both the subs off and hence, I couldn't rid the peak even with Minidsp, and Audyssey only worsens that spot. The red is with Audyssey at reference and that only creates null so I have set the Audyssey at Bypass L/R and that is the Green graph, which is much better sounding for both music and movies.
Cool. Going low as 11hz.

Has any one tried using ported and sealed sub in a dual set up? If so what subs are you using? I am curious to know if it’s possible and if some one in the forum has achieved good bass in such a set up
Just stumbled on this youtube video where the guys from SVS, Audioholics, Youthman et al., were discussing exactly the same question, can we mix ported and sealed subwoofers?

the question is put right at 42:10 timestamp in the video by youthman

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back