MK 950 speakers

crskumar

I demoed MK 750 series speakers and I am very impressed by them. However the price quoted by my dealer is very high compared to the prices in the US. The MK 950 in face can be purchased for about half the price as quoted by my dealer. I will have to figure out a way to ship it to India - trying to find a freight provider.

My questions to the forum are:
1. I have only had a chance to demo the MK 750 but I am assuming MK 950 will be better. Can i go with my assumption or should I take a trip to Bangalore to demo one.

2. Should I import the MK 950 speakers with V12 sub or should I leave out the MK sub and pair the speaker with another sub I can find in India. The reason I ask is because the speakers are light (< 5 kg) but the sub weighs about 30 kgs. If it was only speakers I get it through air cargo.

3. My choice for AVR is Pioneer LX-58 as they will drive the 4ohm speakers without any problem. I can probably think about adding an amp in the future. Am I compromising with an AVR for these speakers?

4. I am thinking of going for a 120" acoustically transparent screen behind which I can wall mount the speakers. The width of my room is 12'. I read somewhere in this forum that the side speakers should be at 1/6th of the width from the wall. So should I place the speakers 2' from the wall on both sides. Also what is the best angle of the front LR speaker to the front row seating?

5. While placing speakers behind the screen do I need to treat the area next to the speakers behind the screen? What type of treatment is needed? My dealer suggested I actually close all three sides of the screen with a wooden plank but I did not get an idea of how that will help.

Thanks in advance to all your replies.

I demoed MK 750 series speakers and I am very impressed by them. However the price quoted by my dealer is very high compared to the prices in the US. The MK 950 in face can be purchased for about half the price as quoted by my dealer. I will have to figure out a way to ship it to India - trying to find a freight provider.

I dunno much about M&K, but the 750 looks a lot like Infinity interlude or overture family. Have you looked into those that have a similar driver set ?

Also I have noticed sometimes bigger isn't neccesarily bigger.
I had a ESS AMT 12 if I recall. Had a small AMT tweeter and a 12" in a rectangular box type cabinet. It sounded so good, nearly on any amp, it was lovely.
I there fore obviously thought the biggest baddest Heil should be the best. I looked like a maniac and found and bought a AMT 1B. The thing was huge and heavy and had a massive heil tweeter and woofer/radiator, and was super cool.
Only it sounded awful. It needs to be set in the middle of the room, and you need to clear all the furniture for 10 feet on either side and even so it sounded echoey and muddled. Worse yet, the tweeter is crossed over too low, and sounds terrible in that 800 hz range. So if you like the 750, dont automatically assume 950 is better. Listen to it before deciding.
However the 750 is similar to a lot of infinity ones from the mid 90's. Check those out. In the US infinity is 1/2 the price of M&K and in a lot of cases better.
Cool.
Srinath.

Yea sm150 family of woofer I'll bet.
Infinity you have to get their carbon fiber or those clear translucent woofers.
Throw in a set of emit's and poly domes and you're looking at one killer speaker.
Cool.
Srinath.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back