Mogami 2549, what's with it

firearm12

Any lovers of this cheap cable for rca, I found that whatever cable I tried, I have gone back to this cable over any other, I always tried to move to some more high resolution cable, but this cable's fat and little grainy sound always attracted me back. Am I crazy or what. Does this mean I don't need any expensive amps and speakers also.

Cables I tried:-

Vdh d102 mkiii
Mogami 2803
Furutech alpha line 2
Sound foundation z1
Audiogd rca cables

Mogami 2803 is superior to 2549 or 2497. Depends on what you like though. Have used the 2497 earlier changed to 2803

Yes 2803 is considered superior and i used it for 2 years before moving to 2549 and surprisingly i found it to be sweeter, 2803 just has more resolution and does not sound as relaxed to me. 2549 is very relaxed to me, maybe because its capacitance is lower. It suits me, i tried many cables but this one sounds most sweet to me.

I think 2549's strengths are smoothness, thick tone and ease of sound. Its is definetely not high resolution. Anyone who has used 2549 extensively can please guide me which cable will improve on its strengths?

You should explore Belden 8402. My 2549 is still lying around somewhere. In fact I should be having some length of raw cable too. It was nice but didn't have any remarkable, standout feature.

I have mogami 2803 and i like it.
For some days i tried belden 8402.
I felt 8402 sounded more smoother and has more of the low end. 2803 more detailed and metallic.
Finally i m back to 2803 as i find it more transparent and revealing, even though it might sound a bit metallic.

With 2803, i never felt the need to experiment with rca. It helps me to easily detect a change in sound, when any other thing changes in the system, giving me a confidence about what exact delta sound is being given by a new component or change in the system. This is what i call transparency.
Ofcourse it all depends on individual system and How 2803 fits into it.

Seems everyone likes 2803. Interestingly it was my fav cable until I tried 2549. My ears love 2549 sound in three systems I tried. Non hifi stuff does better for me. Interesting.

You should explore Belden 8402. My 2549 is still lying around somewhere. In fact I should be having some length of raw cable too. It was nice but didn't have any remarkable, standout feature.

From where I can get belden 8402. Is it available online in India.

I am using belden 8402 xlr cable from Dac to amp, very good sound quality, warm and smooth...you can check in ebay uk..

Last edited:
The 2549 is a very underatted cable
Audiophiles scoff at it due to its cheap price

The truth is
It has always been an excellent cable
And most recording artists would attest to it

The 2803 is infact mogami's flagship and according to Mr hirabiyashi probably the highest resolution cable there is

Disclaimer
Music is subjective and cables will work in some systems and may not work in others and therefore there are fans and naysayers
In the end you need to have the confidence to make up your own mind without looking for validation

I think 2549's strengths are smoothness, thick tone and ease of sound. Its is definetely not high resolution. Anyone who has used 2549 extensively can please guide me which cable will improve on its strengths?

+1 to the statement. A must try cable for those who die hard for Midrange and thick smooth vocal. Also it bit eliminates digital hiss and offers darker background. It sounded better than Belden 8402 in my system for my ears and taste.

Since it is Balanced Microphone cable it can be terminated in two ways.

Way 1: Center cores are used for signal + & - and Shield soldered at Source side (directional cable). In this way I got balanced response across the frequency band but felt high frequencies are bit fragile and less rounded.

Way 2: Both center cores twisted together and used for signal + and shield used as signal -. In this way I got best result with just a tad more midrange.

There's another termination that one should try - connect the shield at both ends to the signal -ve conductor which is under the shield. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Any lovers of this cheap cable for rca, I found that whatever cable I tried, I have gone back to this cable over any other, I always tried to move to some more high resolution cable, but this cable's fat and little grainy sound always attracted me back. Am I crazy or what. Does this mean I don't need any expensive amps and speakers also.

Cables I tried:-

Vdh d102 mkiii
Mogami 2803
Furutech alpha line 2
Sound foundation z1
Audiogd rca cables

I went through a similar experience with the humble Lyrita IC vs far costlier branded ICs (Nordost, VDH etc). Guess it’s because I value naturalness/liveness over resolution/classification.

In the end you need to have the confidence to make up your own mind without looking for validation

Words of wisdom. Vital to settle down to enjoying one’s system. Like they say in Marathi - “ऐकावे जनाचे, करावे मनाचे”

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey this break also means cable rolling! I found my Gotham a bit bright (DGS1) - I am listening to the old Mogami 2549 and it is indeed sweet! And non tiring. And still a marvel, that is JLS’ work in making the cables!

I agree with Mogami 2549 being sweet sounding and would swear by it until I tried "Ortofon" 8N RCA Cable ordered from aliexpress (anyone's guess on genuineness or otherwise) .. the sound stage.. dynamics... and instrumentation seperation has improved tremendously.... have tried changing the RCAs back and forth and everytime I go back to these "Ortofon" cables. They are relatively inexpensive..around 800inr/ft and vfm!

I agree with Mogami 2549 being sweet sounding and would swear by it until I tried "Ortofon" 8N RCA Cable ordered from aliexpress (anyone's guess on genuineness or otherwise) .. the sound stage.. dynamics... and instrumentation seperation has improved tremendously.... have tried changing the RCAs back and forth and everytime I go back to these "Ortofon" cables. They are relatively inexpensive..around 800inr/ft and vfm!
Do you have the link for those cables?

Thanks

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back