Mogami & Italian Reference DIY RCA Interconnects

I had the opportunity to make another IC using the Belden "Brilliance" 1855A mini RG 59 coaxial cable. This one has an inner foil shielding surrounded by tinned copper braid shield. Core is solid copper of 23 AWG. This cable is sold by Blue Jeans Cables too for digital interconnects (IIRC). It is actually an HD TV cable rated to 4.5 GHz. Capacitance is just 16.3 pF/ft.

Sound is very PRATty and lively, it almost feels like the CD is spinning faster than usual. Mids and highs are good, but bass is still in hiding. Perhaps more hours will bring it forth from its reticence.

After some extended listening, it struck me - Dude, but where's my decay? I then realised that the seeming urgency displayed by the cable was due to the abbreviated decay. I'm not sure if things will improve with use but, prima facie, it doesn't seem to be a signature I favour for my setup. I was attracted to it due to the dual shields (foil is good for rejecting magnetic fields and braid shield takes care of electrical fields), and the low, low capacitance, and had hoped to use it between tonearm and step-up. It will work for a setup that needs a dose of liveliness and PRAT.

PS: I have one more cable to try out - a Helusound balanced mic cable from Germany. It also has foil and braid shielding.
Which rca plug was used?
I have seen this 'hurry' in amphenol connectors.

I had the opportunity to make another IC using the Belden "Brilliance" 1855A mini RG 59 coaxial cable. This one has an inner foil shielding surrounded by tinned copper braid shield. Core is solid copper of 23 AWG. This cable is sold by Blue Jeans Cables too for digital interconnects (IIRC). It is actually an HD TV cable rated to 4.5 GHz. Capacitance is just 16.3 pF/ft.

Sound is very PRATty and lively, it almost feels like the CD is spinning faster than usual. Mids and highs are good, but bass is still in hiding. Perhaps more hours will bring it forth from its reticence.

After some extended listening, it struck me - Dude, but where's my decay? I then realised that the seeming urgency displayed by the cable was due to the abbreviated decay. I'm not sure if things will improve with use but, prima facie, it doesn't seem to be a signature I favour for my setup. I was attracted to it due to the dual shields (foil is good for rejecting magnetic fields and braid shield takes care of electrical fields), and the low, low capacitance, and had hoped to use it between tonearm and step-up. It will work for a setup that needs a dose of liveliness and PRAT.

PS: I have one more cable to try out - a Helusound balanced mic cable from Germany. It also has foil and braid shielding.
I had used it in my amp as hookup. They are a bit hard to bend but cable ties did the trick. Used them as digital interconnects as well. I dont remember having any issue with decay or prat. But I settled down with them as digital interconnects for a while.

Just curious, what solder were you using ?

Manek

Excellent Joshua. Build and quality is great.

Cables sourced from Pace Communications Mumbai Pace Communications

Cable Costing - About INR 95/- per meter.
Connector details I've posted already.

Cheers...
The link shared is not working. Please share working link or contact details if possible.
The price mentioned is for italian reference cable, please correct my understanding if otherwise.
Thanks.

The link shared is not working. Please share working link or contact details if possible.
The price mentioned is for italian reference cable, please correct my understanding if otherwise.
Thanks.
That was posted back in 2014. Not sure how relevant those prices are now and not sure about that web link as well.

Needs some fresh research.

That was posted back in 2014. Not sure how relevant those prices are now and not sure about that web link as well.

Needs some fresh research.
My bad! Didn't check the post date at all! :)

I use krystal cable which is quite good!

Here goes. I've been wanting a set of RCA interconnects and finally I took the DIY route and made me self a couple of RCA interconnects. After a lot of reading and rave reviews of DIY cables, I thought me must give this a try. Joshua had me convinced as well. So began looking specifically for Mogami or Gotham cables which are typically used for console/ studio cabling. Joshua and I landed up with Mogami 2806 and an Italian Reference Cable supposed to be really good. I ordered the Neutrix REAN Connectors from Chennai for this build as well.

I got to the job earlier today and in a couple of hours made me self a couple of interconnects. One with Mogami and the other the Italian Reference cable. Impressions.... I was in awe :)

Tested both these cables on the same setup and song. These cables really changed the way my system sounds. Definitely a great deal of improvement. Noise is much lower which I tested at high volumes. The mids and highs are extremely clear and detailed. Soundstage much better. How I tested is with one new cable for one channel and the other channel was the stock RCA. Clearly the new cable outperformed the stock cable when switching channels. After a good 20-30hrs of burning-in these will be simple fantastic. When connected this to the Garrard 401, I was simply in awe. I don't have expensive cables to do a comparo but me friends tell me they have compared these to very expensive cables and the difference was marginal :).

No favourite picked yet as I still need to clock some listening time to arrive at the verdict between the two.

List of stuff used for this build:

Cables and Cutters
RCA Connectors
Soldering Iron, Solder Wire and Flux
Cable Sleeves
Heat shrink Tubes
Continuity Test Tool

Conclusion - Going to make a few more sets. No need to spend thousands of $$$ on cables anymore. I strongly recommend these to all Forum Members. You will really be surprised what these cables can do and really light on the pocket as well. This was my first attempt in making interconnects and I am very particular on finish as well so hope you guys think the finish is fine.

Cheers and now some pictures:

A069124E-3313-4D0F-A100-938CB9B8C0AA_zpszfexu4ho.jpg

55D5F5C4-20F0-43FE-861D-185793CFB499_zps4pyv9r5j.jpg

5C99FBF0-FC19-48DA-AAE5-871C65E8DD60_zpspaqoblyy.jpg

F82F549A-B9CD-4789-9979-2D70CEDF4CD2_zpsy5dz9yme.jpg

54E7D33B-53FE-40D8-9DE6-65151A65B8DA_zpsrebcgmhn.jpg

61D480D3-A579-4EC1-AD09-0F9D724346A1_zpsdccxtprf.jpg

Here goes. I've been wanting a set of RCA interconnects and finally I took the DIY route and made me self a couple of RCA interconnects. After a lot of reading and rave reviews of DIY cables, I thought me must give this a try. Joshua had me convinced as well. So began looking specifically for Mogami or Gotham cables which are typically used for console/ studio cabling. Joshua and I landed up with Mogami 2806 and an Italian Reference Cable supposed to be really good. I ordered the Neutrix REAN Connectors from Chennai for this build as well.

I got to the job earlier today and in a couple of hours made me self a couple of interconnects. One with Mogami and the other the Italian Reference cable. Impressions.... I was in awe :)

Tested both these cables on the same setup and song. These cables really changed the way my system sounds. Definitely a great deal of improvement. Noise is much lower which I tested at high volumes. The mids and highs are extremely clear and detailed. Soundstage much better. How I tested is with one new cable for one channel and the other channel was the stock RCA. Clearly the new cable outperformed the stock cable when switching channels. After a good 20-30hrs of burning-in these will be simple fantastic. When connected this to the Garrard 401, I was simply in awe. I don't have expensive cables to do a comparo but me friends tell me they have compared these to very expensive cables and the difference was marginal :).

No favourite picked yet as I still need to clock some listening time to arrive at the verdict between the two.

List of stuff used for this build:

Cables and Cutters
RCA Connectors
Soldering Iron, Solder Wire and Flux
Cable Sleeves
Heat shrink Tubes
Continuity Test Tool

Conclusion - Going to make a few more sets. No need to spend thousands of $$$ on cables anymore. I strongly recommend these to all Forum Members. You will really be surprised what these cables can do and really light on the pocket as well. This was my first attempt in making interconnects and I am very particular on finish as well so hope you guys think the finish is fine.

Cheers and now some pictures:

A069124E-3313-4D0F-A100-938CB9B8C0AA_zpszfexu4ho.jpg

55D5F5C4-20F0-43FE-861D-185793CFB499_zps4pyv9r5j.jpg

5C99FBF0-FC19-48DA-AAE5-871C65E8DD60_zpspaqoblyy.jpg

F82F549A-B9CD-4789-9979-2D70CEDF4CD2_zpsy5dz9yme.jpg

54E7D33B-53FE-40D8-9DE6-65151A65B8DA_zpsrebcgmhn.jpg

61D480D3-A579-4EC1-AD09-0F9D724346A1_zpsdccxtprf.jpg
Well I'd say just find prebuilt Mogami patch cables. They are cheap and exceptionally good, plus you don't have to build anything. Here goes - https://www.redco.com/Mogami-36-Series.html

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back