Monitor Audio BR5 / BR6

M

mpw

Hi,

Any body knows the availability of Monitor Audio BR5 / BR6 in Mumbai ?

Any dealer where we can audition them ?

let me know the prices as well approx

thanks !

mpw

The Audio People in Chennai are the authorised distributors. Try calling them for Mumbai dealers.

Here are their contacts:

"Anmol - Palani"
88, G. N. Chetty Road,
T.Nagar, Chennai - 600 017, India

Tel : 00 91 44 42125999

Hi,

thanks !

mpw

Hi:

Is your budget restricted to BR5/BR6 ? They are indeed good, got good treble, excellent midrange, but bass department fails here, doesn't go deep at all. If you want a speaker to be with you for a very long time, why not extend your budget and look at MA RS6 - excellent in all departments. IMO.

The AP are the people to contact here in Chennai.

How about Monitor Audio Silver bookshelves at similar price levels?

Where would you get the MA Silver range at a similar price level as the Bronze?

Yes, the Silver range is great but comes at a price. Even the BR5 is not bad for the price. It has a nice sound that you can hear for a very long time without any listening fatigue.

Thanks,
Sharad

Where would you get the MA Silver range at a similar price level as the Bronze?

Yes, the Silver range is great but comes at a price. Even the BR5 is not bad for the price. It has a nice sound that you can hear for a very long time without any listening fatigue.

Thanks,
Sharad

RS1, but then I guess BR floorstanders would humble the Silver bookshelf on bass department.

Last edited:
RS1, but then I guess BR floorstanders would humble the Silver bookshelf on bass department.

Your guess is wrong, RS1 will blow away BR5 in bass, have you heard RS1 and BR5 side by side ? RS1 is knowm for their superior bass in BS category, but with a tinge of brigthness IMO.

Hi,

thanks !

mpw

To answer your question- Boomarang are dealers for MAs in Mumbai. They have shops in Juhu and Fort. No 02226194452

BR5 mrp shd be around 50k

But RS6 are far superior esp for 2 channel/music

Rated 5star in various hifi websites

For movies howevr (5.1 set up), BR5 should be fine as floorstanders with BRLCR as center channel BRW10 as sub and BR2 or bronze dipole surrounds (forget the model no). Total package mrp shd be around 1.4L mrp (plus sum discounts not sure how much )
All the best

Your guess is wrong, RS1 will blow away BR5 in bass, have you heard RS1 and BR5 side by side ? RS1 is knowm for their superior bass in BS category, but with a tinge of brigthness IMO.

what amp were you listening to the rs1 on when you felt it was bright

What amp and cdp are you running with your RS6 ? I feel my 640A V2 does not do justice for the RS6, your thoughts ?

Hi,

thanks !

mpw

IMHO CA 640A does not do full justice to MA RS6.

What's your room size? BR5's are fab speakers considering their price point and are good for medium size rooms. I have a pair with the PM 7001 KI edition. They pump a lot of good, clean and unobtrusive bass! The kind of music that suits this set up is Jazz/Blues and Classic Rock.

What amp and cdp are you running with your RS6 ? I feel my 640A V2 does not do justice for the RS6, your thoughts ?

i use the nad c272 with a nad pre. very musical with sweet highs and full mids. thats what i like about it. bass is laid back and not as tight as i would like. sound separation not great either. from what i've heard the cambridge is little tighter in bass dept, slightly better sound separation but the mids are a little clinical

i hope to buy another amp this year. imo the nad / cambridge doesnt do it justice. but in the price range its pretty much the best available. thats not considering the chinese amps (which apparently are very good - sound and build quality)

Last edited:
I use NAD C372 with MA RS6. They work extremely well together. The NAD is pretty powerful, warm and rounded, while the MA RS6 towers are entertaining and forward sounding. A perfect match.

I also have a CA 640 amp. You cannot compare it with NAD C372 (or C272, which has the same power-amp). The NAD is significantly better, but it is twice as expensive too!

MA RS6 deserve a powerful and warm amp. This package might bust the budget for someone who started with BR5. That is why I suggested BR5 for MPW. Unlike RS6, the BR5 have a warmer and more laid back sound. They will work well with cheaper electronics.

BTW, I would recommend MA BR5 and RS6 over their respective bigger brothers the BR6 and RS8. The bigger speakers have an extra woofer, added as an after thought. This extra woofer makes the BR6/RS8 sound more impressive during a 5 minute demo, but spoils the frequency balance to a great extent.

Thanks,
Sharad

To the OP - I believe there are better speakers that one can get at the BR5 price point. If floorstanders are what you prefer, then the Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 3 is a brilliant speaker.

As otherwise, the RS1 is anyday a better speaker per se than the BR5. My main problem with the BR5 is the 'cupped hands' quality of voices. It is not the speaker I would buy if I were to listen to a lot of classical stuff. Plus it is not outstanding in any one area.

I use NAD C372 with MA RS6. They work extremely well together. The NAD is pretty powerful, warm and rounded, while the MA RS6 towers are entertaining and forward sounding. A perfect match.

I also have a CA 640 amp. You cannot compare it with NAD C372 (or C272, which has the same power-amp). The NAD is significantly better, but it is twice as expensive too!

MA RS6 deserve a powerful and warm amp. This package might bust the budget for someone who started with BR5. That is why I suggested BR5 for MPW. Unlike RS6, the BR5 have a warmer and more laid back sound. They will work well with cheaper electronics.

BTW, I would recommend MA BR5 and RS6 over their respective bigger brothers the BR6 and RS8. The bigger speakers have an extra woofer, added as an after thought. This extra woofer makes the BR6/RS8 sound more impressive during a 5 minute demo, but spoils the frequency balance to a great extent.

Thanks,
Sharad

the nad and the cambridge are generally similarly priced in most countries and compete directly against eachother. i think the reason for the current difference in pricing is due to forex fluctuations - the pound losing (british made cambridge) and the dollar gaining (canadian made nad).

from what i understand from other users, many have said that the nad suits the rs6 very well though a more neutral amp comes across nicer. an eg and (quite) a step up from the nad would be the bryston which apparently is a match made in heaven with the rs6. i do like the warmth of the nad esp with the fullness of the mids but it could really do with tighter bass and better sound separation

Last edited:
the nad and the cambridge are generally similarly priced in most countries and compete directly against eachother. i think the reason for the current difference in pricing is due to forex fluctuations - the pound losing (british made cambridge) and the dollar gaining (canadian made nad).

I dont think that is correct. CA 640A was $529, while NAD C372 was $899.

Thanks,
Sharad

Sincere apologies to OP for discussing out of topic here.

I'm seriously considering changing my amp, the amps am considering are,

CA 650A
NAD 355 BEE
NAD 372
Marantz PM7003

Bryston, which model, and how much ?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back