Monitor speakers or speakers with separate amplifier/reciever

<EDIT: cross-posted with jaudere, who put it far better than I did. I even googled for a succinct explanation, but failed to find one. He's put it in a nutshell>
It is digital volume control. So reducing it gets the sound closer to noise floor. This is exactly opposite to analogue where increasing volume pushes it closer to noise floor(distortion)

I do prefer something that provides an analogue volume control between my pc source and my speakers. This is for two reasons:

1. Theoretical (at least to me: I'm sure we have members with ears that can hear the difference): One of the things we might buy a sound card for is a high SNR --- which we reduce by cutting the digital signal.

2. Practical: There is always a chance of blasting your speakers with something. Having to turn up an analogue-device knob avoids this.

If I could afford (and had the space for*) something like the Adams or similar, I'd at least be passing the signal through the small mixer that I have, and controlling the volume there.

*As I say when writing about drool-inducing kit ... If I could afford it, I would have the space, because I'd be living in a different house! :lol:

Oh... and I think I mentioned the KRKs I heard in Singapore? My M-Audio AV40s were about S$300. The smallest KRK Rokits are more than three times that price :sad:

Last edited:
@Manoj
I think what Thad is saying that it is better to keep volume on PC to max. It is digital volume control. So reducing it gets the sound closer to noise floor. This is exactly opposite to analogue where increasing volume pushes it closer to noise floor(distortion). When I use PC as source, I keep the volume in software as well as system volume to full and control final volume with amplifier.
I think Thad is experienced enough to know that usually there is on DAC In the monitors
I am aware Thad is experienced enough to know that there is no DAC on monitors. :) After all, he is building a Linux Pc and it needs lots of expertise and understanding. I may be misunderstood his question, just wanted to explain that Active monitors/dedicated amps are seldom used for volume control. Usually its done at the level before amps.
As for sound cards, it depends where they are doing the volume control. Lynx does it in digital domain. Sound Blaster live does it in analog domain (at line level outputs) Now I understand that Thad actually prefers to do it an external device other than the PC. It was clear from his next post.

Last edited:
Hmmm,
I was not aware that there are some sound cards which control volume at analogue level. Is there a remote controller for such cards? How is sound quality of these cards
In fact I use sound blaster X fi 5.1 USB. It has a volume knob like analogue knob but i think still its digital because when i change volume using it, it shows on screen.

Last edited:
Those send the OSD even if its in the analog domain. Its just a way to show the levels.

If you use a windows MCE remote, it can control the sound card if its supported by sound card or has an interface. Some of the USB sound cards also come with their own remote control and IR port.

Cheers, all :)

I didn't know that some cards have analogue level control, or not internal cards at least. I've only just started using an external interface* and, whoa, it has an analogue volume control knob for the headphone out, which I use every day, but none for the main stereo out.

Apart from controlling the volume in the player, which must be controlling the digital signal sent to the interface, there is also a mixer control for the interface itself. I'm sure this must be working at a digital level within the interface.

So, broadly, yes, I understand the situation, but that doesn't mean that a little confusion might not creep in from time to time :)

*It's an Echo AudioFire2 Firewire device.

Came back to home today. First thing I did was to listen to same song on my marantz-ventronic combination.
My impression remains same. It is much better than the Bose models and The HK-JBL studio series towers that I heard. Much fuller sound without unnaturally enhanced bass. I suppose that the sound would improve with stands which i will be getting soon.

I am still interested to know how Bose book shelves sound. I dont know the model no. But they cost some 17k and have 8"woofer. These were not there in forum mall. Going to mumbai next week. Will audition there and post impression.

Best Speakers Under $500 | Audioreview

Most of you have heard of all or some of these speakers.
Since I am planning to buy a pair of speakers (active or passive with receiver combo) Would like to know your opinions....

As per the reviews mentioned in this link I am more impressed with the comment for B&W speakers:
Base is much tighter and punchy than the old 602?s. Massive base for such a small speaker! Clarity is mind blowing, especially with Jazz recordings.

:indifferent14:
So waiting.....to read more

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back