MONO BLOCK POWER AMPS or STEREO POWER AMPS ???

Mono Block Power amp or Stereo Power Amp, which one is best for listeing stereo music ?
Monoblock - if you can afford!
But again a lot depend of design,pedigree and your taste
I mean there are good integrated and there are good monoblocks -but there are bad monoblocks too

Anyone heard McIntosh Monoblocks here?

Mono blocks are better , because every thing in the Mono block is independent and there is no interaction between the channel. I have used a marantz MA 500 Mono blocks before , though they lacked the power the quality was very good.

Mono Block Power amp or Stereo Power Amp, which one is best for listeing stereo music ?

its difficult to compare. there will be a lot of stereo amps that will perform better than a mono block. ESP when youre comparing different brands. imo dont worry about whether its a mono block or a stereo, separates or integrateds, tube or ss - its about how it sounds. if you like the sound and it performs well thats the one you should want

to this comparison we also need to add
a pair of stereo amps bridged and used as "monoblock" for each speaker.

I use this technique for almost all my own power amps as well where possible (space permitting).

oh you make your own amps, cna you tell in detail about amps please?

Last edited:
If you want to listen at home, then i a decent stereo amp with 80W will be more than enough. Just make sure that your speakers have efficiency of atleast 87dB. If possible look a brand called Dussun T6.

Very basic stuff as of now. I build for myself only (so far), so they're highly customized to my setup. Mostly open-frame monoblocks based on LM series chipamps. After building about 30 of these beasts I have arrived at three or four combinations which will drive any of my speakers, current or future.

What I have now is a little 25 watt LM4766 combined with a DAC built in a small wooden box, these drive a pair of PSB Alpha-Mini speakers and are currently in Mumbai with my ex-partner. The DAC is the Alien, it was meant to operate off a laptop, but had a separate supply for the DAC, and it was built with Nichicon Muse caps and some customisation in the power supply (mostly due to some parts not being available).

A paralleled LM3886 chipamp capable of over 20 amperes of output current to drive my very hungry Dynaudio BM6 nearfield monitors, in a custom racking case, full monoblock construction but single case, poweramp only. Built with Panasonic caps, Holcos and Roderstein resistors.

A maxed-out 40-watt chipamp built on a piece of softwood, with Blackgates and Holco/Roderstein resistors and 80,000 uF of capacitance and a 400-watt transformer to drive my Usher Mini-Dancers. This is my favorite amp, very sweet and rounded but with lots of detail, yet not offensive.

A couple of very old STKs (junk, actually, not very good sounding) waiting to be built into a active line array ala the DIYa cheap-as-chips arrays. I had the amps and the woofers lying around and they needed a home, and they're not good enough to go into a build for someone else. So they will go into a complete build.

A couple of Peter Daniel LM 4780s in a Bridged-Paralleled arrangement, a misdemeanour from my younger audio days when I hungered for more power than I needed. Now I have no idea what to do with them, maybe I'll tear out the chips and use them elsewhere. These were driving my mains for almost three years.

Another LM4766 build to go into a build for a friend's mother. He was supposed to fix up the system when he came back for summer break from college, but he committed suicide in January. I'm helping her fix up the whole thing so she can listen to music again (very musical family - she's a pianist as well, and his sister plays guitar and piano, and he was a prodigious piano player, played for our band in Calcutta).

Another bridged 150-watt LM3886 chipamp, waiting for my L18 speakers (off the Zaph page) and waiting to be built into a case with a Buffalo DAC and used for the Mini-Dancers as well. I don't know if this will ever get built though, it's been in planning for three years now.

I think that's about it. I have a low-power 6-channel project with some LM4781 chips I have lying around, as well as a mammoth sub with some OPA549s, but those will take time.

I build with chips as they are very easy to work with, sound unreasonably better than their price would indicate, and for a working professional I didn't have the time to mess with discrete or tubes. I've been itching for some big SS action with tube preamps though, and that looks like the next thing once the above projects are done, as I'm on a sabbatical from work for a while. My Mini-Dancers tell me I need a better amp. They don't mind what I have, but maybe they're longing for a more capable partner that will let them shine.

Thanks Mr.cranky for your detailed work you are doing and its so nice to hear that you guys all hard working really for good indian electronic music system.

Im very much keen and liked to see your amps, if you any photos please share with us sir.

Thanks in advance and cheers

If you want to listen at home, then i a decent stereo amp with 80W will be more than enough. Just make sure that your speakers have efficiency of atleast 87dB. If possible look a brand called Dussun T6.

is dussun available in india

Depends on music taste, budget, system setup, source,... I am in the process of revamping my music system as I had some offers for the existing ones within teh family. I have been auditioning a bit lately teh various brands. I am very impressed with the newer hybrid integrateds even compared to some mono blocks.

there are many stores in ebay, although i am not sure they are shipping now to India. Cattylink.com is the oldest website dealing with chinese stuff. BTW how much is your budget ?

there are many stores in ebay, although i am not sure they are shipping now to India. Cattylink.com is the oldest website dealing with chinese stuff. BTW how much is your budget ?

i've just ordered another chinese amp - bada purer 3.3. i've got some friends in china who are buying it for me and putting it in a container of theirs.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back