Motley Crew? Speakers of varied sizes shapes and BRANDs in a 5.1 or 7.1 system

rwnano

Anyone here who has played with speakers like that? Put in speakers of varied brands to an amplifier - like

2 - Polk 2* Jamo, and a Center of a different brand, and a subwoofer?

Other random arrangements - what were the results of the experiment?

I was asking since I have a 5.1 system who's speakers work well at low volumes but start getting vibrations and rattles at higher volumes.
So I need speakers....but I was wondering if its a good idea to buy bookshelf's of various makes and putting them together in a 5.1 system?

Unless you are fastidious, the key is the center speaker followed by R&L and conventional wisdom is to keep those the same from a tonality perspective as well as sensitivity as you want the balance in volume levels to be the same with those 3 .

the rear can be different and so can the sub.

Anyone here who has played with speakers like that? Put in speakers of varied brands to an amplifier - like

I was asking since I have a 5.1 system who's speakers work well at low volumes but start getting vibrations and rattles at higher volumes.
So I need speakers....but I was wondering if its a good idea to buy bookshelf's of various makes and putting them together in a 5.1 system?
I have tried something similar to what you have described above. Currently running the following speakers and amps in a 7.3.2 setup:

Fronts - Quad S-5
Center - Quad SC-2
Mid Surrounds - Wharfedale Evo 4.2
Back Surrounds - Boston Acoustics A26
Atmos Height - Onkyo SK-410
Subwoofers - 2 x REL T9i and Rythmik E15HP2
AVR - Marantz SR6013
Amplifier (front channels) - Cambridge Audio CXA81

Some observations -

1. It is important to get a decent timbral match for all speakers to get good immersion

2. For best results, use the same make and build for the Front Speakers and Centre Channel. Prior to the Quad SC-2, I had the Q Acoustics Concept Centre. While a fantastic centre channel in its own right, the tonal/timbral difference with the Quad S5s meant this aspect stuck out like a sore thumb and led to the Quad SC-2s. The improvement in immersion was massive to say the least.

3. Similarly, while the surround channels come into play to a much lesser extent and are mostly relegated to ambient noises, having a close enough tonal match gives a more seamless experience. Prior to the Wharfedale Evo 4.2, I had the KEF Q350s do mid surround duties and the timbral/tonal differences were, again, a bit too much to give a cohesive experience. However, my gamble with the Evo 4.2s paid dividends and their presentation is close enough to the Quad S5/Quad SC-2 in many ways to provide a more seamless transition.

4. A certain amount of flexibility is possible if the back surrounds aren't too close to your seating position. Hence, I could get away with the Boston Acoustics A26. For a 5 speaker system, the observation is moot.

5. Prior to the Cambridge Audio CXA81, i was using the Marantz PM6006 to drive the Quad S5s. Though down on most performance aspects to the CXA81, the PM6006 had slightly better synergy with the Marantz SR6013, again due to the tonal similarities. However, the SR6013s preamp section lends enough colouration to the CXA81 to be a tonally close enough match to not detract from the experience. Got lucky there.

6. While implementing different makes/models of two or more subwoofers, it is easier to integrate two sealed or two ported subwoofers as opposed to mixing both designs i.e. sealed and ported. I was using a Mission MS450 (ported) prior to the Rythmik E15HP2 (sealed) and getting it integrated with the REL T9is' (sealed) was a pain. Despite being aided by plenty of measurements and positioning of the Mission MS450, the integration with the RELs was less than stellar. Enter the Rythmik E15HP2 and the integration is near seamless without much fuss!

Last edited:
Unless you are fastidious, the key is the center speaker followed by R&L and conventional wisdom is to keep those the same from a tonality perspective as well as sensitivity as you want the balance in volume levels to be the same with those 3 .

the rear can be different and so can the sub.
My current center speaker is this Harman kardon theatre system HKTS 11 ...it vibrates at higher volumes...how to solve?

My current center speaker is this Harman kardon theatre system HKTS 11 ...it vibrates at higher volumes...how to solve?
If i assume you have tried all tweaks like placing it on rubber feet or put a thick book/weight on it and it it still does so, you need a better center speaker. no doubt. this just means its poor in quality as a speaker

Last edited:
Is all your speakers rattles at high volume?. Try swapping the speakers for Left,Front,Right and check. Generally speakers should not vibrate at any volume , may be it's harman's design flaw?
You may try some anti-slip materail and place it under speaker and check . This will reduce vibration.

It may not be be a good idea to mix different brand speakers , how ever if you still want to do , you have to carefully choose them matching the wattage , same size of drivers+ same type of tweeters used with other brands. by this way u will not compromise the sound quality.

If i assume you have tried all tweaks like placing it on rubber feet or put a thick book/weight on it and it it still does so, you need a better center speaker. no doubt. this just means its poor in quality as a speaker
Have not done either of these tricks ..it's a satellite speaker. They sound good at low volumes but seems like the quality is not up to the mark at high volumes.

Specification is key when you mix and match.
For example, lets say you have Klipsch as your front and a Dynaudio as your center, your Avr will likely be over worked to keep dialog flowing through the center channel and Dynaudios's are usually harder to drive. You may not enjoy this setup and will need to spend time getting it to sound right.

As long as the spec sheet of the speaker you buy does not steer too far away from each other, You're all good.
The next thing is to listen to the speaker. No review or you tube video can help here.
For example, depending on the source material, the audio can shift from the center to the left or right main front speaker. When voice shifts over, the same person may sound different. This can be understood once you listen to a loudspeaker. If it makes no change, we can assume they are close to being tonally matched.

I have a mix of B&W front, center, KEF surround and a different brand of Sub woofer. The KEF's sound is different from the pair of B&W I have (May not apply to all B&W's). It does not bother all that much as the KEF's are doing surround duty.

The short summary is, you need to try (or listen) different speakers. There is no other way of knowing if a mix and match will work without listening to them. Start with specification first and go from there.

Speaker rattling sounds like a defect of some sort or some part failing. Is hard to say. Needs a close inspection when the speaker is playing. It could also be some close by furniture rattling or vibrating.

Is all your speakers rattles at high volume?. Try swapping the speakers for Left,Front,Right and check. Generally speakers should not vibrate at any volume , may be it's harman's design flaw?
You may try some anti-slip materail and place it under speaker and check . This will reduce vibration.

It may not be be a good idea to mix different brand speakers , how ever if you still want to do , you have to carefully choose them matching the wattage , same size of drivers+ same type of tweeters used with other brands. by this way u will not compromise the sound quality.
Harman kardon made good amplifier s but cheap speakers with fantastic sound

If you have tried all fixes for the rattles, then yes, best to upgrade.
You can start with a set of matching LCRs that you like within your budget. And don't worry about the rest. You can absolutely cheap out on the surrounds and heights.
Don't worry at all. Focus on the LCRs of your liking.
All the best.

Cool so I guess your call would be to upgrade the LCR.Whats the budget you want to plan ?

for around 40 K the Fyne LCR300 with matching speakers would be very good. there may be so many options below that well

If you are upto DIY then you could create make your own open baffle setup as well...with the same speakers x 3

Cool so I guess your call would be to upgrade the LCR.Whats the budget you want to plan ?

for around 40 K the Fyne LCR300 with matching speakers would be very good. there may be so many options below that well

If you are upto DIY then you could create make your own open baffle setup as well...with the same speakers x 3
I was getting Jamo S 60 SUR pair LR . I would get the center speaker from the US eBay.Additionally I was interested in the SB acoustics Bromo. SB acoustics has some outfriggingstanding reviews on the web are generally considered really good for price / performance. That's a longer project though which I don't think that I have the bandwidth to get into yet..

I was getting Jamo S 60 SUR pair LR . I would get the center speaker from the US eBay.Additionally I was interested in the SB acoustics Bromo. SB acoustics has some outfriggingstanding reviews on the web are generally considered really good for price / performance. That's a longer project though which I don't think that I have the bandwidth to get into yet..
please make sure you get the same LR and C...and web reviews can be deceptive as owners bias to give good review is unbelieveably high.

the options are either trust your ears or of someone whom you know and trust.

please make sure you get the same LR and C...and web reviews can be deceptive as owners bias to give good review is unbelieveably high.

the options are either trust your ears or of someone whom you know and trust.
You have written some outstanding wise statements above.. thanks

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back