Movies that are visually stunning!

Any chance to get this titles in bluray disc???
Apu trilogy is remastered to a quality that even Satyajit Ray may not have seen!
Well worth purchasing...

The story behind the restoration is also really awe-inspiring!

Apu trilogy is remastered to a quality that even Satyajit Ray may not have seen!
Well worth purchasing...

The story behind the restoration is also really awe-inspiring!
Thank you for your reply dada

• In the Mood for Love (Wong Kar-Wai)
  • Mirror (Tarkovsky)
  • Days of Heaven (Unfortunately, I watch TM films at the speed he made them. I am yet to get past this in his filmography)
  • In Animation, Spirited Away
  • Among recent ones, The Green Knight (2021) and may I add, Columbus (2017)

@greenhorn,

I too was very surprised that I am the first one to bring it up in this thread :)

I had to doublecheck the thread before adding a few more:
  • Roma from the most recent ones (I will happily pick this over "Gravity").
  • Animation: Ghost in the Shell (1995) - Mamoru Oshii. At times, it gave the feel of a live-action with animated characters. More philosophical than action-oriented (which the series (part 1, part 2) fulfills)
  • Animation: Angel's Egg (1985) - Mamoru Oshii. This one is artsy, Tarkovskian in pacing, loaded with religious symbolism (most of which flew over my head), and has a unique eerie atmosphere. Certainly not for everybody.
  • Animation: Garden of Words (2013) - Makoto Shinkai. All of his films look great. I have mentioned another one here. I am surprised that no one has brought him up yet considering that we even had a successful change.org petition to release his latest in India.
  • Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927) - F. W. Murnau. My favorite silent film, particularly the shorter Czech version which gets rid of a lot of fluff. Many of the early Murnau's are a treasure, apart from the already mentioned "Nosferatu". I'll just leave it to Ebert
In a remarkable early sequence, we see her smoking in her room, prowling restlessly in lingerie, and then walking through the village to the lighted window of the man's cottage, where she whistles (there is a low and ominous musical note on the soundtrack). Inside the cottage, the man hears her, we see torment and temptation in his face, and finally he slips out of the cottage; when his wife returns to the table with their dinner, he is gone, and the movie juxtaposes her embracing their child and the woman from the city embracing him.

But look at the shot that shows the man and the city woman slipping off into a foggy marsh area. Although the ground is muddy and uneven, the camera seems to glide smoothly along with them, pushing through shrubbery, following their progress, finally watching them embrace beneath a full moon. I've seen "Sunrise" several times and always noted this shot without quite realizing how impossible it was.

Now I have had it explained. The commentary track on the 20th Century-Fox DVD is by the gifted cinematographer John Bailey, who is a student of early camera techniques and a particular admirer of Struss. He explains that the marsh is a studio set, that the sky and the moon are actually quite close, and that the camera platform is suspended from overhead cables so that it glides behind them as they push through the mud and the shrubbery.

Bonus: I'll also throw in Karel Zemen's "Invention for Destruction" (also called "The Fabulous World of Jules Verne") which has a unique look

Last edited:
@greenhorn,
…Makoto Shinkai. All of his films look great. I have mentioned another one here. I am surprised that no one has brought him up yet…
Valid point!
He’s been going from strength to strength, from 5 cm per Second to Garden of Words to Your Name.
Can‘t wait to see his latest.

Superb background music & visuals , gray shades # bluray disc with DTS HD master audio

Attachments

• 20211208_001739.jpg
    20211208_001739.jpg
    758.8 KB · Views: 21
Andrei Tarkovsky's Stalker.
Every time I watch it I can't believe it's made in 1979. Mesmerizing, hypnotic, visceral. Transports you too a different dimension almost.
Apt quote from a reviewer - '... the reason why cinema is called ART'.
Gotta checkout his other creations too.
e. g. Solaris

Andrei Tarkovsky's Stalker.
Every time I watch it I can't believe it's made in 1979. Mesmerizing, hypnotic, visceral. Transports you too a different dimension almost.
Apt quote from a reviewer - '... the reason why cinema is called ART'.
Gotta checkout his other creations too.
e. g. Solaris

Great choice. Thanks.

Let me find it.

In no order:
The Fall. "Every Frame, a painting".
As few have already mentioned, 300.
Final Fantasy, the advent children. Again, every frame a painting.
Amelie.
Sucker Punch
I'll try to add more, as I recall .

Oft recommended, Added to watchlist.

Not many mention it! Had loved it when I had watched it!
I tried to mention the *visually stunning* movies. In that definition, I'll discard all BW or good direction movies which are "visually captivating" in regular colour pallette.

I tried to mention the *visually stunning* movies. In that definition, I'll discard all BW or good direction movies which are "visually captivating" in regular colour pallette.
My meaning was that not many talk of "Sucker Punch" as a movie. While I liked it very much when I watched it. I want use term as underrated as it might not be every one's cup of tea.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back