Movies with high caliber visuals and photography

although it is not movies but on the ground of breath taking scenes I would put forward Planet Earth series on Blu-Ray.

although it is not movies but on the ground of breath taking scenes I would put forward Planet Earth series on Blu-Ray.

The follow up ones - Human Planet and Life are equally stunning too. Well, if BBC can't make them who will?

How possible u guys forget "Avatar"

Avatar, no doubt, is a benchmark for modern Computer Graphics governed movie. A visual treat indeed. Terminator 2 in its day gained such a glory.

But what we would like to discuss in this thread - the movies that did not benefit (or did not want to) from those, (like Lawrence of Arabia) but still had wonderful imagery that impacted through sheer skill of the photographer.

I liked the transfer of Forrest Gump, its quite good.

For visuals of scenery try transsiberian, a movie which involves the great siberian rail. Has some very stunning shots.

Also, liked Pan's Labyrinth, but it did have some CG.

The other one that comes to mind is Apocalypto, amazing shots of the Amazon.

How about David Lean's

Lawrence Of Arabia
Dr Zivago
Passage To India
Ryan's Daughter
Far From The Madding Crowd

All great movies

If I am not wrong I 1st saw the trailer of talisman when I went to see Eklavya 4-5 years back and then only had decided would watch the movie 1st day 1st show.

Its sad to know that the movie has been officially shelved.

If I am not wrong I 1st saw the trailer of talisman when I went to see Eklavya 4-5 years back and then only had decided would watch the movie 1st day 1st show.

Its sad to know that the movie has been officially shelved.

Yes Sanchit along with Talisman if u rembr they had also shown us a promo of Munnabhai Chale Amrika...but then both have been shelved...

Talisman pre-producn was taking a lot of time and it was supposed to be a hugely mounted film with a mega budget but when recession hit Bollywood in 2008...they gradually went on to shelve it

the proposition - australian western, checkout some of the dessert scenes, amazing.

hero - this movie has some very beautiful scenes and it also has some very good sound effects.

the beach - paradise!!! i wish they release this on bluray.

requiem for a dream - Matthew Libatique .one of the best cinematographers. checkout all his work.

gladiator
cold mountain
the fall (i hate the film)
sin city.

It might sound odd, but in my experience some of the slow moving movies tend to focus on details such as landscape, background even what people wear etc. compared to the action packed ones. Thus you find lengthy epics invariably scoring high on the cinematography.

I'm surprised no one mentioned of the classic western Classics:

Once upon the time in the west

For a few dollars more

Joe Kid

Fist full of Dollars.

If your not a Clint Eastwood fan...well nothing more to say..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Emotiva UMC-1,Emotiva XPA-5
Sony BDP S470
Pioneer DV 310
TC 750 LC-Phono pre amp
Sony PS LX-295 Turntable
Emotiva ERM 6.3 ( L,C,R),Emotiva ERD-1 Surrounds, Emotiva Sub 12
Emotiva X series Co-axials,RCA and speaker cables
Monster THX Surround cables

Last edited:
Masaki Kobayashi's Harakiri aka Seppuku (1962)

I watched this movie yesterday and right from the first shot this movie had me wowed with the photography.

The movie is presented in 2.35:1 and this is among the few movies I've seen recently that make full use of the sense of width that this aspect ratio can give. It is shot in glorious black & white, appropriate to the mood and period of the movie. Some of the shots are such that they make the subject really pop out, almost like in a 3D movie that is done properly. The movie uses the centered style of framing (unlike the usual rule of thirds) and boy, does it give you goosebumps in some shots!

Other than the photography itself, the movie itself is simply great -- among the best I've seen. This is the first Masaki Kobayashi movie I've seen and I'm looking forward to enjoying rest of this master's work.

+ for 'The Fall'. The visuals and the sound track synch is breathtaking. BTW, the film maker Tarsem is an Indian, tho he works from the UK.

Another favorite is 'Transsiberian' for panoramic shots of the Beijing-Moscow train winding through snowy mountain terrain.

For imaginative/fantasy visuals: Pan's Labyrinth, The Fountain, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back