Moving on to Sony Native 4K Projector from True 4K BenQ

ankitbhargava

Big day!
I received my Sony VW 290ES Projector after waiting a couple of days and testing my patience :)
Couldn't wait any longer and installed it in an hour of receiving it.

I upgraded to Sony 290ES (Native 4K) from the Benq W1700 (True 4K using Pixel shifting technology).
To keep this post brief, all I can say is you have to see it to believe the huge leap in picture quality, contrast, brightness (though both are same lumen rated), crispiness in fast scene. Its actually mind blowing. My kids could make out the upgrade in viewing experience immediately.

So far I have kept out of box setting and its unbelievable how even HD content from Netflix on this Sony looks FAR better than watching 4K on BenQ.

Had been reading about marginal difference between True 4K and Native 4K past few weeks but for me its a difference by great margins.

Little about the upgrade journey,
I decided to upgrade the Projector a couple of weeks back and JVC, Sony came highly recommended. Upon more research I realised that I might be happier with entry level Models for now. Doing recent visit to Delhi, I had 2 hours for demo/audition and I called up AVshack (Pratham) and he promptly invited to see the Demo of Sony 290ES. He quickly set it up and during candid 10 minutes chat I could figure out that I actually need entry level Model only.

Played some go to scenes to test brightness, contrast, black levels .. I was clean bold in 30 minutes. All demo dome using streaming content from Netflix.
He extended a very good deal and also offered help in selling my BenQ W1700 (which I am still considering wether to retain or sell). We shook hands on deal and I made advance payment next day. He shipped promptly and in 3 days I got it in my hands. Meantime he patiently answered all my WhatsApp messages to clear the doubts.

Installation was very convenient, thanks to motorised lens control.

I shall post more detailed review and pictures in next posts, thank to this forum and the kind members who have been always helpful with their expertise.

Its actually mind blowing.

Welcome to the video rabbit hole. It's extremely slippery, but pretty warm inside:). Looking forward to either seeing pictures of a dark velvet pit in a few months or wistful longing for a room where such can happen. Congratulations and enjoy your movies!

Last edited:
Welcome to the video rabbit hole. It's extremely slippery, but pretty warm inside:). Looking forward to either seeing pictures of a dark velvet pit in a few months or wistful longing for a room where such can happen. Congratulations and enjoy your movies!
I have been extremely precautions and told my eyes to keep satisfaction level up and not show me rabbit hole route. Haha

Congrats! Surprised that quality difference between True4k and Native4K is so great! I too now have shelved my plans for upgrading to simulated 4K projector and will directly jump to Native4K instead.
Waiting for pics :)

Congrats on your new acquisition! May I ask how much did it cost after discounts?
Thanks, shall DM :)
Congrats! Surprised that quality difference between True4k and Native4K is so great! I too now have shelved my plans for upgrading to simulated 4K projector and will directly jump to Native4K instead.
Waiting for pics :)
Worth the investment, below are 2 quick pictures of setup. The Phone won't allow to capture the true picture quality though :)
@ankitbhargava what is your room size, screen size and projector distance from the screen ?
Its 20 feet X 18.5 feet X 9.5 feet
Projector to Screen is 17.4 feet
true 4k sony and jvc are a great upgrade from pixel shifting projectors. benq once calibrated will be very dimmer compared to sony and jvc. the contrast is only equivalent to low cost ips monitors, whereas lcos projectors can take full advantage of light controlled setups. the upscaling in sony is so good that it is difficult to tell whether the source is 4k or hd.
absolutely!

Congratulations! Just yesterday I was checking your setup from your signature and thought projector could have been better. And today you upgraded :)
Haha, I wish you had checked earlier :D

Its very difficult to capture the "natural tones" while taking picture of a screen from Phone. Sharing Pictures of setup.

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-06 at 7.24.57 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-06 at 7.19.36 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-06 at 7.38.04 PM.jpeg

Last edited:
Big day!
I received my Sony VW 290ES Projector after waiting a couple of days and testing my patience :)

I upgraded to Sony 290ES (Native 4K) from the Benq W1700 (True 4K using Pixel shifting technology).
To keep this post brief, all I can say is you have to see it to believe the huge leap in picture quality, contrast, brightness (though both are same lumen rated), crispiness in fast scene. Its actually mind blowing. My kids could make out the upgrade in viewing experience immediately.

So far I have kept out of box setting and its unbelievable how even HD content from Netflix on this Sony looks FAR better than watching 4K on BenQ.

Had been reading about marginal difference between True 4K and Native 4K past few weeks but for me its a difference by great margins.

I decided to upgrade the Projector a couple of weeks back and JVC, Sony came highly recommended. Upon more research I realised that I might be happier with entry level Models for now. Doing recent visit to Delhi, I had 2 hours for demo/audition and I called up AVshack (Pratham) and he promptly invited to see the Demo of Sony 290ES. He quickly set it up and during candid 10 minutes chat I could figure out that I actually need entry level Model only.

Played some go to scenes to test brightness, contrast, black levels .. I was clean bold in 30 minutes. All demo dome using streaming content from Netflix.
He extended a very good deal and also offered help in selling my BenQ W1700 (which I am still considering wether to retain or sell). We shook hands on deal and I made advance payment next day. He shipped promptly and in 3 days I got it in my hands. Meantime he patiently answered all my WhatsApp messages to clear the doubts.

I shall post more detailed review and pictures in next posts, thank to this forum and the kind members who have been always helpful with their expertise.
congratulations ankit. from your post, i can imagine and understand the difference from true 4k to native 4k. are you going to change your projector screen?

congratulations ankit. from your post, i can imagine and understand the difference from true 4k to native 4k. are you going to change your projector screen?
Hello :)
I changed the Projector screen an year back only hoping to have better performance from my BenQ (which did not happened eventually)
This is a custom made 130 inch Fixed Frame.

Thanks, shall DM :)

Worth the investment, below are 2 quick pictures of setup. The Phone won't allow to capture the true picture quality though :)

Its 20 feet X 18.5 feet X 9.5 feet
Projector to Screen is 17.4 feet

absolutely!

Haha, I wish you had checked earlier :D

Its very difficult to capture the "natural tones" while taking picture of a screen from Phone. Sharing Pictures of setup.

View attachment 70525

View attachment 70526

View attachment 70528

That's a nice room you got there.

I would say this is much better than a dedicated room. If you can get some sound proofing done, it is an envious setup I say.

You can get motorized curtains for the ceiling. Remember that checkerboard video to show the difference in contrast? A similar setup. From the layout of the room, I am sure you will manage to set it up without making it look like an eyesore.

Big day!

Congratulations Ankit ..
How much cost ,any discount details?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back