Mp3/FLAC Player + In Ear Phones

I lost my 30Gb iPod and my Philips In Ear phones, I've looked around for them everywhere but guess I was negligent enough.

Now the brighter side of all this is I want to get a new digital player and In-Ear phones. I'm extremely serious with my music and how I listen to it. I've not thought about a budget yet, but as of now I'm ready to spend 20k (+10K if I find that special something) for the whole thing. I'll just give my requirements below so that I can seek correct help from you guys here.

Mp3/FLAC Player
*Video not essential.
*Definitely a screen for navigation.
*Not too heavy please, my shirt top pockets have had a tuff time with my iPod.
*Need album art display, other details of the track playing.
*FLAC compatibility
*I really dont know much about memory and if there are any options with expanding it, if there is I would definitely like to check that option.

Hows Cowon X7?

In-Ear Phones
*A friend of mine uses these - Link and I trust his judgement completely so I am looking for something with a performance that will match upto Ultimate Ears or something better.
*I listen to tonnes of metal music and for me clarity and appropriate bass levels are of prime importance, I have a Bose QuietComfort 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones and listen through them only while I'm at home, I'm looking at buying In-Ear phones while for travel and at office.

I dont mind picking up those Ultimate Ears set, how're Shure's In-Ear phones? They've just released 5 new sets (News here) can someone give me more insight about Shure products?

I really need help here, thanks in advance :)

Now the brighter side of all this is I want to get a new digital player and In-Ear phones. I'm extremely serious with my music and how I listen to it. I've not thought about a budget yet, but as of now I'm ready to spend 20k (+10K if I find that special something) for the whole thing. I'll just give my requirements below so that I can seek correct help from you guys here.

Hi 555,

From your post i understand your seriousness of having music. Have you checked out the Cowon J3 ? I have been using it for past 5 months and has excellent compatibility with a long battery life.

It plays FLAC, MP3, WAV and also video files and has inbuilt FM Radio too.

I got the 16GB version which also has a slot for adding microSD card as well which i believe another 32GB can be added to it, though i wasnt able to find a card for it. I purchased it online from these guys Cowon India and they were very prompt in the sale.

I am not sure to recommend any in-ear-phones cos i am using full sized headphones with a portable AMP. I think Monster Pro Copper would be a good choice, but i havent heard it personally to testify.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Last edited:
Another vote for the Cowon J3. As for Iems to go along with it, UE tf10, Radius DDM, Jvc fx700 etc come to mind. Have you checked out ljokerl iem thread on headfi? Or our own esanthoshs reviews on techenclave?

Yes! Pick-up the TF10 if you listen to metal and require clarity and bass. There are many others you can consider, but I have no clue about your appropriate level of bass, but TF10 has enough bass quantity. But, some people have fit issues with it (I don't).

But, there are many other IEMs within $100 too which are good as well. If you are able to describe what kind of signature you are looking for, perhaps I can list a few options.

Shure - I haven't heard one and not sure if it will satisfy your requirement.

Sansa Fuze (which is discontinued by Sansa in favor of Fuze+) is one option that comes to mind for your player. It has a microSD slot as well to expand memory. Fuze+ did not receive favorable reviews on release, but seems like the latest firmware updates fixed some of the issues.

Why not Cowon J3 + microSD card? X7 does not have rave reviews from what I've seen. I'm waiting for some more reviews of Cowon C2 to see how worthy it is.

Not too heavy please, my shirt top pockets have had a tuff time with my iPod.

looking at this i was to suggest a clip+ . probably rockboxed. but no album art display/

cowon is good i use s9. j3 with card slot should be your choice if not worried about the size in your shirt pocket.

about earphones even i was awaiting for tf10 delivery but my friend's US stay got extended and he 'll return only after 3 months :(

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back