Multi-channel AAC decoding by Philips BDP 2180!

rakeshchn

Most of the compressed downloadable HD video files in the internet nowadays use the MP4 container with multi channel audio encoded using the AAC codec. Although this results in a much smaller file size compared to files with AC3 or DTS multi channel audio the main drawback for me and many others (from my research in the internets) has been that most AVRs cannot decode AAC and the media players that can decode AAC only does that to stereo LPCM, thus downmixing 5.1 channels to 2 channels. I have a WDTV media player and had to deal with this for a long time.
To my surprise I accidentally discovered last weekend that my new Philips BDP 2180 blu ray player can in real time decode multichannel AAC to multichannel LPCM and feed to the AVR so that I can get finally get surround sound from my MP4 movie collection :yahoo:

Just posting this here for the benefit of others. Cheers!

To my surprise I accidentally discovered last weekend that my new Philips BDP 2180 blu ray player can in real time decode multichannel AAC to multichannel LPCM and feed to the AVR so that I can get finally get surround sound from my MP4 movie collection :yahoo:
!
Many BDp do support AAC decoding.One need to check specifications closely before buying.My 2 year old Toshiba too does it very well.

even im planning to get this player, i have a question will this player play region free blu ray discs

Back