Mumbai: 50" Plasma???

Raghav

Now that I am moving into the new house, its time to buy the stuff that I have been thinking and researching about. First up is my parent's room. Going through HFV and internet I have shortlisted the following 50" plasma models

1. Samsung 50B450 - Seems the best bet as reasonable and no burn-in
2. LG PQ30 / 70 - Also reasonable but burn-in is there and PQ is lesser
3. Panasonic X10 - Outpriced itself in this segment. Is it worth the extra?

Room Size: 18' X 14'
Viewing Distance: 13'
Existing Equipment: Philips DVD 3388, Tata Sky +
Usage: Daily TV and a DVD a week.
Possible Addition: Philips Sound Bar HTS6120 (doubtful as Parent's want it simple)

Which Plasma model is best suited? Latest prices and place to buy in Mumbai will be appreciated? Is HD ready good enough
? If not then what is recommended?

Thanks,
Raghav

hi,
u can buy a hd ready plasma if u are on a budget but if i were in your place then i would certainly make my purchase future proof and definitely go in for a full hd plasma taking the screen size in consideration.For a 50" screen size full hd is a better option trust me.
ok now the choices,in case u want to buy hd ready then go in for the Panasonic 50C10 instead of the X10 ,not much of a difference technically.the C10 should not cost u more than 65K.

Now for the full hd options: depends how much u want to spend.If i were to buy then i would settle for the best which according to me is the PIONEER KURO.if u don't want to spend so much then go in for the SAMSUNG 52B550 priced at 1,47,000.

i want to tell u about an offer which my friend told me.Resonance audio in delhi have got 2 pieces of Pioneer Kuro which they were using as demo pieces now selling it for 1,35,000 each.

Seeing the way prices move nowadays one would not like to spend so much. If I use the HD ready TV for 1-2yrs, I can probably buy the Full HD TV with the 80k saved at that time. I will have a HD ready TV to spare for the guest room in 2 yrs.

On a serious note would a 40" Full HD Plasma / 46" Full HD LCD be a better option than the 50" HD Ready Plasma. Take the room size and viewing pattern into account.

hi,
u can buy a hd ready plasma if u are on a budget but if i were in your place then i would certainly make my purchase future proof and definitely go in for a full hd plasma taking the screen size in consideration.For a 50" screen size full hd is a better option trust me.
ok now the choices,in case u want to buy hd ready then go in for the Panasonic 50C10 instead of the X10 ,not much of a difference technically.the C10 should not cost u more than 65K.

Now for the full hd options: depends how much u want to spend.If i were to buy then i would settle for the best which according to me is the PIONEER KURO.if u don't want to spend so much then go in for the SAMSUNG 52B550 priced at 1,47,000.

i want to tell u about an offer which my friend told me.Resonance audio in delhi have got 2 pieces of Pioneer Kuro which they were using as demo pieces now selling it for 1,35,000 each.

From 13 feet, it would be VERY difficult to tell any difference between HD and HD Ready TV (assuming signal is Full HD).

Cost of 50B450 is 58k if you do not want free digital camera. Additional discount (3 -4k) if you trade in existing 29 inch CRT.

I will buy this model next week, if you are planning to buy in similar timeframe than it might be possible to bring prices even lower (if we buy from the same shop) .

Are you also in Mumbai? from where do you plan to buy?

From 13 feet, it would be VERY difficult to tell any difference between HD and HD Ready TV (assuming signal is Full HD).

Cost of 50B450 is 58k if you do not want free digital camera. Additional discount (3 -4k) if you trade in existing 29 inch CRT.

I will buy this model next week, if you are planning to buy in similar timeframe than it might be possible to bring prices even lower (if we buy from the same shop) .

50PQ70 and I Re-iterate its awesome, 720p Transformers looked stunning, the connectivity options are fantastic, I have no clue about what TIR peeps are talking about? I havent found any yet and trust me I know what TIR is since I also own a 42PG21 :D I would have bargained for a few more inches though :p

Raghav, re. Mumbai, there isnt must difference in the discounts offered at various Showrooms, as they say "unees-bees" hai, but I'd rather prefer a better option for finance, for instance, HDFC customers would prefer Vijay Sales as they offer 0% finance, with a nominal processing fee of Rs. 500.

Re. 50PQ70 everything seems good, only a few more inches. *Sigh*

hi,

Hey Decibels, Do you have any commercial interest with pioneer kuro or resonance audio?

As I have already mentioned, Pioneer KURO is out of production and there absolutely ZERO support in india for the kuros as they are not released here for its lifetime. Not a single technician in india is qualified for fixing the kuros and the spare parts are almost non-existant.

While Kuros are great, they do not provide the justification for 3x cost they are sold for normal TV viewer in question who watches TATA sky mostly from 13 feet like the one in the thread.

Given the above, It does not make sense to buy used Kuros for 1.32L at the moment. Plasmas will reach almost Kuro quality in 2-3 years from now for much lesser cost (as is always with electronics). It is wise to make a much lower investment today.

Get the PQ70 only if you want the better sound, USB playback and bluetooth. Otherwise you are paying for the wrong features. You are better off with samsung B450.

I have owned and lived with both.. If anyone who has owned (or even looked at) both recommends PQ70, I would agree.

(This is assuming PQ70 has same PQ as the PQ60. I might be wrong.)

Having said that, PQ70 is an excellent set when viewed in isolation away from the B450 or the X10. It just do not live up to the competetion.

Better sound is always appreciated.
Bluetooth is of no use to my parents.
USB is good addition but Philips DVD-P 3388 also has it. Does the TV need one if you have the 3388 as dvd.

I am leaning towards Samsung 50B450 amongst the three. Also visited Vijay Sales and found that they have no 50" Plasma on display. Quoted 64k for the Samsung which is high as per HFV figures. Any advice where to buy it from in Mumbai.

Get the PQ70 only if you want the better sound, USB playback and bluetooth. Otherwise you are paying for the wrong features. You are better off with samsung B450.

I have owned and lived with both.. If anyone who has owned (or even looked at) both recommends PQ70, I would agree.

(This is assuming PQ70 has same PQ as the PQ60. I might be wrong.)

Having said that, PQ70 is an excellent set when viewed in isolation away from the B450 or the X10. It just do not live up to the competetion.

Get the PQ70 only if you want the better sound, USB playback and bluetooth.

I compared 50PQ70 and B450 side by side. Showroom lights were dimmed for test.

I am not a video/audio enthusiast, and I could not find any difference in both sets in terms of PQ. We tested what we normally view (Movies stored on PC). Spider Trilogy BD was played on a Samsung BD HT. To test the TV.

Can't comment on audio since sudio output was on HT speakers.

Maybe the difference comes out if you look for details that we were not looking for.

How much did Vijay Sales quote you? They quoted me 64k for Samsung 50B450 plus did not have any model (Samsung, LG or Panasonic) on display.

Which local shop are you speaking about?

Yaa. I plan to pick up from Vijay sales. Lowest quote is from a local shop but that shop needs cash (extra charge on cheque payment).

I will really find it difficult to haggle so much. Its possible but consumes a lot of energy.

Does anyone know a retailer who straightaway quotes good prices for the Samsung / LG 50'' Plasma?

Vijay Sales quoted 59k (Lots of haggling) for 50B450. Local shop is Gala and Sons, Malad W.

I had boiled it down to 2 Plasmas: LG 50PQ70 or Samsung 50B450. But then I got diverted towards 46-47" LCDs. The LG 47LH70 and Samsung 46B530 are also available for around 60k. Plus the LCDs are 1080p while Plasmas are 720p. So I am again confused.

Is 47" FullHD LCD better or 50" HDReady Plasma?

On another note, Gala & Sons (Mumbai) do have some very attractive rates for LCDs and Plasmas. Also I prefer dealing with smaller stores vis-a-vis Croma, Vijay Sales, Ezone etc. Has anyone dealt with Gala & Sons before and if yes what how was the experience? Is there any other recommended retailer in Mumbai?

Between FHD and HD Ready, the only purpose for FHD would be to play 1080p movies and prolly gaming, well have none, actually just one 1080p movie, whose playback is above average.

However, have loads of 720p content which plays brilliantly. The SD content is just about fine in the HD Ready, it would take some years for 720p channels let alone 1080p. :D

As I mentioned earlier, the PQ of all these TV's are just fine (DVD's) its the connectivity options they provide that I am looking for. I would love WiFi and ofcourse a few more inches :p

And its 4-0 to India. :D

I was worried about pixelation on the HD Ready Plasma especially since the size is 50". Normal viewing distance is 12-13 feet but sometime it can be 5-7 feet when sitting at the edge of the bed or roaming around the room during TV usage.

Between FHD and HD Ready, the only purpose for FHD would be to play 1080p movies and prolly gaming, well have none, actually just one 1080p movie, whose playback is above average.

However, have loads of 720p content which plays brilliantly. The SD content is just about fine in the HD Ready, it would take some years for 720p channels let alone 1080p. :D

As I mentioned earlier, the PQ of all these TV's are just fine (DVD's) its the connectivity options they provide that I am looking for. I would love WiFi and ofcourse a few more inches :p

And its 4-0 to India. :D

Finally I bought Samsung B450 plasma (50 inch). Cost was 57000 and got 3k for 12 year old 29 inch CRT.

Picked up from Vijay sales. Its price was lowest. Have quotes from pretty much every small and large electronic store.

Is 47" FullHD LCD better or 50" HDReady Plasma?

HD ready is more then enough for next few years.

Unless you take some pains (Get movies from US or download from net) you will not get 1080p (Full HD) content. Movies (Hollywood and Indian) that are sold in India have pathetic prints.

So, no advantage in paying extra for Full HD.

On another note, Gala & Sons (Mumbai) do have some very attractive rates for LCDs and Plasmas. Also I prefer dealing with smaller stores vis-a-vis Croma, Vijay Sales, Ezone etc. Has anyone dealt with Gala & Sons before and if yes what how was the experience? Is there any other recommended retailer in Mumbai?

Since no store would provide you after sales, it does not matter where you get the TV from. Regarding Gala and Sons, their prices are decent. But they do not have stock and get it once you pay 5 - 10k advance.

In large stores you need to bargain but you get advantage in terms of Credit card payments without surcharge and next day delivery.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back