Mumbai Rains

If this works out i too would be interested provided there are at least 4 of us with a fortnight intimation, it will be a great adventure.

I came across the idea of taking a express long distance train like Rajdhani Express with minimum halts and which travels daily to and fro in a particular route like Mumbai To Punjab or Mumbai To Kerala, let us say that there are total 6 halts, so get down at each station to explore the city and wait for the same train next day to board and then get down at the next station, and so forth. In eventual the journey which takes say 24 hours we can end up finishing in a whopping 8 days or so.

V.

Update on Konkan Ro Ro train.

Managed to speak to Kolad Railway Station guys. The trend is as follows.

The train arrives anytime in the day. It waits for trucks (needs about 40) and leaves as soon as trucks are available. So the departure time is not fixed. It could be daytime. It could be night time. Obviously the night trip robs the fun.

The choices are as follows.

a) Blindly reach the station early morning and take a chance. If the train is not ready, take a regular train to verna and try the luck there.

b) Call at around 4 am and check the likelihood of the train leaving and depart for Kolad after a reasonable probability is ascertained.

c) Blindly reach, if the day train is not going to work out, come back to bombay after roaming around in Kolad.

I am tempted to try this saturday. Any takers. Of course there is always the risk of not being able to board the train.

Regards

Hmm I would like to plot the start and end points on a railway map,along with intermediate ones. Can you list them?

Regards

The konkan railway site has a map. Got pained trying to download this.

For you, since you are based in Bangalore, thsi kind of taking a chance may not be worth it.

Another trip you should try is the Mangalore - Bangalore train.

There is a night train leaving Bangalore that reaches Subramanya by early morning. The return train from Mangalore reaches Subramanya by 10 am or so. From Subramanya to Hassan is through the Western Ghats and is supposed to be as exhilarating (with a also a steep climb and descent) as Konkan. Something you could complete in day during weekend.

Of course the most romantic option is to take the Ro Ro till Goa, take another Konkan till Mangalore and then take the Mangalore - Bangalore train and reach home. You would be smelling of hills by then.

The konkan railway site has a map. Got pained trying to download this.

For you, since you are based in Bangalore, thsi kind of taking a chance may not be worth it.

Another trip you should try is the Mangalore - Bangalore train.

There is a night train leaving Bangalore that reaches Subramanya by early morning. The return train from Mangalore reaches Subramanya by 10 am or so. From Subramanya to Hassan is through the Western Ghats and is supposed to be as exhilarating (with a also a steep climb and descent) as Konkan. Something you could complete in day during weekend.

Of course the most romantic option is to take the Ro Ro till Goa, take another Konkan till Mangalore and then take the Mangalore - Bangalore train and reach home. You would be smelling of hills by then.

SO I have to reach Goa then make my way back in a more adventurous fashion!! Sure why not? Actually next time I go to Goa, i will make it to Kolad and the Roro for sure :D

Do make the trip and post photos.

Cheers

Trying the following tomorrow

There is a train from Diva (near Kalyan station) to Kolad at 6 in the morning. I am going to call the Kolad station late in the night to figure out if the Ro-Ro has arrived (scheduled to arrive today evening).

It will depart after the train gets full. Once i reach Kolad (9 am) will check if a daytime departure is a realistic possibility. If it is not, i will take the next train and continue till Goa. If the return Ro - Ro is likely to depart on daytime in Sunday i will wait for it. Else i will take a return train or flight and come back to Mumbai. It is raining and the trip should anyway be good, even if it is on a normal train.

Anyone game for this, please PM me.

Regards

In my case i have 3 air conditions in my house, i use mainly the ac in my mini theatre as i do not have a fan in this room. While the other 2 a/c's in the house i rarely use them because i prefer getting used to a fan then an a/c because it is not good to be dependent on it.

As far as car goes, i rarely use it as my work place is at home.

I think there should be a rule to limit the use of things like air condition, car and related.

V.

Everytime I switch on my home theater, there is a slight feeling of guilt that I am adding more emissions, but then like typical human being, I go back to thinking "My HT alone will not add much to the emissions". And ofcourse, the nice cars most of us are so used to driving. And the list keeps going on.

Last edited:
Goodluck SRR and enjoy and have a safe trip.

Regards

Update on Konkan Ro Ro train.

Managed to speak to Kolad Railway Station guys. The trend is as follows.

The train arrives anytime in the day. It waits for trucks (needs about 40) and leaves as soon as trucks are available. So the departure time is not fixed. It could be daytime. It could be night time. Obviously the night trip robs the fun.

The choices are as follows.

a) Blindly reach the station early morning and take a chance. If the train is not ready, take a regular train to verna and try the luck there.

b) Call at around 4 am and check the likelihood of the train leaving and depart for Kolad after a reasonable probability is ascertained.

c) Blindly reach, if the day train is not going to work out, come back to bombay after roaming around in Kolad.

I am tempted to try this saturday. Any takers. Of course there is always the risk of not being able to board the train.

Regards

In my case there is as good as no issue in taking walks during the rains because in our complex we have a well cemented walking track which is supposed to be among the top 7 in Mumbai.

I have kept 2 pairs of shoes, once i return from the rainy walk i put old news papers inside the shoes so that it can soak the water and keep them to dry under the sun with fan on, sometimes it takes more then a day to dry up or i have to put the news paper again which is fine with me as i have the second pair of shoe.

V.

For me its the opposite as rain makes it difficult for morning walks with puddles and slippery path. Sports shoes get wet and stinks.

This time I will try my Crocs. In my 1 hour walk I cover about 7 kms.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back