Music system for Indian classical music

mmjoshi

Hello everybody

I am looking for a pure audio system. I will be mainly listening to Indian classical vocal music. The other kinds of music I will be listening to are instrumental and film music of the 60s & 70s. Most of my music collection is in audio cds and cassettes. However, I am building up my mp3 library. I have already about 50 GB of Indian classical music. Will grow significantly in the future.

My requirements are: pure sound especially vocals, ability to read mp3 files from a USB drive, a graphic equalizer and timer function to auto shut off. Reading from DVDs is restricted to mp3 file. Video capability is not required as this will be a pure audio system.

Can such a system be purchased off the shelf? Or does one need to get this custom built. Would love to hear from people in Pune where I live.

mj

What is your budget? what is your current gear?

Irrespective of what system you end up buying, you also need to consider getting CDs/flac (lossless) content to appreciate the music in your gear. Just my 2p.

A few comments without information from you on room size and budget.

Would strongly recommend Lyrita (amplifier and speakers) as a must listen before you make up your mind. If you do a search for Lyrita in this forum you will come up with a few threads.

They are wonderful for vocals. You would love your Indian classical music much better with this system, which incidentally is great value for money too.

For the reading off USB etc, there are many standard options.

A point to note - Many of the film music recordings of 60s and 70s are not good quality. Same goes for many classical music recordings as well. You will be surprised to hear them sounding harsh in atleast Lyrita.

The second option you could consider for speaker are EPOS (11 for bookshelves) and an equivalent floorstander.

I heard QUAD 22 this week which sounds very well for classical music, except that the tabla sounded a bit all over the place.

All the best in your search.

A point to note - Many of the film music recordings of 60s and 70s are not good quality. Same goes for many classical music recordings as well. You will be surprised to hear them sounding harsh in atleast Lyrita.

Not so good quality recording (old film and classical) would sound harsh in Lyrita? May please elaborate.

I carried some of my CDs with me when i went the second and third time to Viren's place. Some of the relatively poor recordings, especially Violin and Saxophone, sounded quite harsh in the system. At the same time, the better recordings that i carried sounded wonderful. I am making an extrapolation that the harshness was due to the poor sound quality.

Viren may be able to clarify the reasons better. He did mention that the chain is quite transparent in reproduction.

Hello Guys,
I don't believe there are no system which can very well play poorly recorded music. If somebody really want to enjoy music from the past the best route is to go with vinyl. I was listening to some classical music vinyls some Ragas played by Ravi shankar and they sounded wonderful in Lyrita system. The sitar had very good attack. I also played a cd of Ustad Vilayet Khan and ustad Zakir hussain it sounded very nice but with the limitation of CD quality.
thanks.

Not so good quality recording (old film and classical) would sound harsh in Lyrita? May please elaborate.

I had to junk many recordings from the 70s due to poor sound engineering at the source. Saregama label recordings of older music is very bad. But I found really good quality 60s recordings under the label Oriental.

I use fostex single driver speakers and I can tell you revealing system is no-no for 70s 80s Indian music. Better you use a system that is not so transparent.

If you still want the lovely Vintage tube sound to combine with old music I would suggest auditioning Viren's cheaper integrated amp model with Diamond 9.1. If that amp can power the 9.1 you should be all set.

Cheers

I agree with the suggestions put forward in this thread as far as the system is concerned. However, I am not so sure that MP3s as a source would utilize the power of the system suggested. Any particular reason you specifically prefer MP3s. Original CDs or CD Rips in FLAC format or any other format you prefer would be the way to go.

Is it? Then it is the cheapest solution to purchase a pair of Diamond 9.1 and pair it with Viren's amp (of course, if one have it). I will have to explore it, seriously. Thanks Gobble.

Amit

If you still want the lovely Vintage tube sound to combine with old music I would suggest auditioning Viren's cheaper integrated amp model with Diamond 9.1. If that amp can power the 9.1 you should be all set.

Cheers

A ton of thanks to all those who have responded enthusiastically. It makes me feel that I am in the right forum. I will try to answer the queries raised by some of you and provide more information.

1. Budget: Between Rs. 25,000 to Rs. 50,000 though I would like to be as close to the lower limit as possible.;)

2. I have a Sony home theater system which will go with my TV. I want to have the audio system for my bedroom. I intend to use to listen to Hindustani vocal and to some extent Hindi/Marathi film music. But no movies!

3 I do have a number of original CDs and could rip them in the FLAC format, if that's possible. However, about 90% of the tracks which I have are in the MP3 format. Hence it will be combination of all formats though skewed towards MP3.

4. I agree about the quality of the film music as well as the classical music collection I have from some time back is quite horrible. I am keeping it for the historic value. I do not think any system can compensate for the bad qulaity.

5. My bedroom is 17'x13'. The system will be placed along the shorter wall. The listening distance is about 12'.

6. srramanujam: Thanks for the suggestion about Lyrita. I will look it up in the forum for more information. In the meanwhile if you any further suggestions based on my budget and the room size do let me know. Let me confess, my knowledge about hi-fi audio systems is almost non existent!

Look forward to hearing from all of you again. If anyone wants to send me a private mail, my mail id is mmjoshi[removethis] at ymail dot com

mj

I had to junk many recordings from the 70s due to poor sound engineering at the source. Saregama label recordings of older music is very bad. But I found really good quality 60s recordings under the label Oriental.

I use fostex single driver speakers and I can tell you revealing system is no-no for 70s 80s Indian music. Better you use a system that is not so transparent.

Cheers

How about a Tube pre-amp with SS amp to drive diamond 9.1's ?

Gobble has the tube pre-amp you were waiting for arrived? Can you please tell us your opinion?

How about a Tube pre-amp with SS amp to drive diamond 9.1's ?

Gobble has the tube pre-amp you were waiting for arrived? Can you please tell us your opinion?

Yes Today was my first proper listen. I will post a review a few weeks later.

cheers

I would say a Tannoy F1 Custom would work well. With a nad or a marantz amp.
You could aslo look at the quad 12L or the 11L but they could be beyond your budget. .
Lyrita can aslo be a very good option.
Not sure of all the prices though
May some members can chip in with the pricing.
All the best.
Cheers

srramanujam: Any suggestions after I posted my budget and the room dimensions.

All: Any price inputs on the configuration suggested by neo.

However, I need to confess! I do not a clue on how to configure an audio system. Is there any FAQ which describes the different components of the system? In simple words I need to know how the CD or MP3/FLAC files will be played from my USB drive, how will the amplifier will be connected to this player and to the speakers, any special cabling requirement etc. Would appreciate some inputs or a pointer to this information.

BTW, I got a a notification from the forum administrator that mclaren has responded to this thread. However, I do not see this post in the thread. Strange!

mj

BTW, I got a a notification from the forum administrator that mclaren has responded to this thread. However, I do not see this post in the thread. Strange
Hi mm
Post from Mr. mclaren must be spam. Be careful. easiest way to know them is looking at their date of joiing and no. of posts they have put up. if date of joining is recent and if no. of post is 1 ignore them specially if they come up with "Fantastic" offer
regards
Hiten

BTW, I got a a notification from the forum administrator that mclaren has responded to this thread. However, I do not see this post in the thread. Strange!

mj

Because we have banned him for Spaming the forum ;) so that he doesnt waste urs, ours, and my time

Thanks madbullram & hitensitapara for the caution warning. I will be watchful in the future. Now can someone also respond to the other queries in my post;-)?

mj

As a person who design and builds tube audio equipment; and having similar musical preference and budget as yours- I univocally suggest a tube amp and in this case the Lyrita 2A3 SE amp due to ease of availability.

Indian classical renditions and tube audio systems are made for each other. No doubts about that. Pair the Lyrita 2A3 amp with the Lyrita FR speakers and I am sure you will not regret it. I believe Lyrita offers a trials period or something like that.

I have personally never heard the Lyrita 2A3 amp. But I have built and heard 2A3 SE and PP amps. Besides, forum member Shri Rajiv has a Lyrita 2A3 and full of praise for the same.

I noticed mention of poor recording quality of Indian material from the 70s. There is a vital difference. The filmy music recordings were all atrocious. Highly compressed, clipped and no dynamics. But most classical and instruments recordings (Enoch Daniel, Sumit Ganguly, etc) are excellent. They had stereo pressings as early as late 60s whereas most mainstream Hindi film music was still Mono till about late 70s. I still have a Hum Kisi Se kum Nahi LP. Side A is Stereo, Side B Mono.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back