Music system for media player and DVD

TapasDas1980

Hi friends,

I am going to buy a media player (WD/Asus) and I have a Onida DVD player. Till now I am using Creative T6060 5.1 speaker system. And I love sound output quality of T6060 although it may not produce true quality sound, which I now understand after visiting onkyo shop and PROFX shop. :sad:

Hence this post.

Friends, I am not looking to buy a full fledge home theater system upfront. I rather like to build it in a phased manner. I watch movies a lot however quality of sound concerns me more. So you can put me into 60% music and 40% movie category. I listen more of soft Rock, Jazz, Hindi classic songs and music. Sometimes instrumental also.

I am looking for a speaker system with in the range of 15K-25K, where I can pay and get the entire thing in parts. Like, amp/avr first. And later on front speakers, sub and last rear may be if required.

I stay in a rented house and size would be approx 10*15 and definitely my owner will not allow me to hang wires all around the room. :rolleyes:

I am sorry if I am expecting too many things together, but my budge is very tight and I am just trying to get as much as possible out of that.

Thanks in advance.

WELL FOR THAT kind of usage u can get a z-5500 5.1 dolby dts and thx certified for 15.5k

however its not a hometheatre system but does well. and best suited for your requirements.

else u can go the htib way and get yourself an onkyo 3300 for 25k

else again go step by step.

get an avr as of now .. get a denon 1610 for initial.
then add speakers and then sub..

also another options as u stated that u listen to lot of music.. u can just get an amp and 2 speakers as on now and
later on add a sub

norge + wharf.. best combo

Last edited:
I have visited one my friends place and checked Norge + Wharf speaker set up. It was awesome Music experience. but Movie was a NO NO.

I can't afford to loose HIFI audio qualities of my downloaded BD ripped version movies. That too when I am planning to get a media player next month.

Hence cancelling the amps + speaker idea for now... :sad: may be later...

Not my focus is only on HTIB or AVR + Spekers

Now frankly speaking my pocket does not allow me to get a brand new AVR of any segment I believe. So either I have to go for HTIB system or years old AVR device if any member wish to shell out those at throw away prices... :)

Will post another post in Wanted segment for that.

then best suited for you will be onkyo 3300 htib for 24-25 k ( not sure bout current price)+ media player/dvd player.

else

logitech z-5500 ( 15.5k) + media player/dvd player

I would second theironhorse and suggest you to get the z5500. It has everything that you would
need for in your budget. Since it is a digital, active setup, you dont need anything else besides what
comes in the z5500 box to have your system up and running. It has one co-axial and optical input
and 3 stereo inputs. So it has provision for multiple inputs. It is THX certified. It is very good for
movies but might lack a bit for music. It has good highs and lows but mids might be lacking a bit.
Bass might a bit too boomy but ofcourse you can adjust the volume to control the boominess a bit.

If HD audio is a requirement, then z5500 might not fit the bill as it does not have the HD decoding
capabilities. You might have to think about Onkyo 3300 in that case. Ofcourse it is on the higher
side when compared to the z5500.

The other option is to go the used route. Will little bit of patience, you might get the best bang
for your buck.

Last edited:
Hi Friends,

After much hesitation and few encouragement from my friends, I went out to local shops in Bangalore. I visited PROFx, Onkyo along with few local HiFi equipment dealers. I have listed to Denon 1611 with KEf speakers, Onkyo 3300 and Harmon Kardon with KEF tower speaker. I was astonished by the output. So I have decided to go for a entry level AVR which can provide me good quality Music also. So I did a search on net and found bellow mentioned items which could suit my budget.

1. Yamaha RX-467 -- 27.5K in Bangalore
2. Denon 1509 -- 14.5 K but 1 year old.
3. Poineer VSX0512--10.5 K--2-3 years old.
4. Yamaha RX-365--15K--6 month old.

Keeping in mind that, I would only use my Medial player to watch BD ripped version movies which are already HD quality, do I really need upscaling feature in AVR?
And As those movies would be HD audio format, hence I believe I should go for a AVR which can handle that like Yamaha RX 467...

Now I am also expecting that what ever AVR I select, would also provide me good quality sound for songs(mp3 and audio CD).

Hence I am requesting all friends in this forums to help me to select the right AVR for me. Please keep in mind that I would not be able to extend more than 30K for this.

For Speakers, I have two brands in mind.

1. Yamaha NSP-60 ----9k
2. Wharfedal Diamond 8.1--9.5k

Just now I called local Savoy dealer in Bangalore and they are ready to provide me RX-V465 at 20.5K all inclusive.

Guys please tell me, is it the best price?

Today, I will try to go Music Ranch for a demo if RX-V467/RX-V465..

Requesting all you to suggest me some good bookshelf speaker with in 10-15K..

Thanks in advance.

If I go today, will share my experience tonight. :)

Sorry friends,

I was not able to make to Music Ranch today due to rain GOD. Will try to make it.

@ Vivek.... Thanks a lot. Any idea which one of them will be the best for Rx-V465.....

Also, friends, could one of you confirm whether RX-V465 is capable of HD Audio decoding? As far as I can find It does, but just wanted to confirm before making the final call.

Thanks.

Sorry friends,

I was not able to make to Music Ranch today due to rain GOD. Will try to make it.

@ Vivek.... Thanks a lot. Any idea which one of them will be the best for Rx-V465.....

Also, friends, could one of you confirm whether RX-V465 is capable of HD Audio decoding? As far as I can find It does, but just wanted to confirm before making the final call.

Thanks.

Personally, 9.2s has been my favourite among 9.1/9.2/10.1/10.2. The 9.1 has better mids but tends to get boomy when played on high levels. 9.2 has better bass performance IMHO and provides a decent overall SQ. The 10.1 and 10.2 provides some improvement above the 9 series but has lesser VFM than the 9 series. But these are just views of mine and as they say it....When it comes to selecting speakers, never trust anyone's else's ear....do your own homework and audition these speakers before making the buying decision.

Cheers!

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back