Musical and warm sounding CD player

ADITYA.M

Hey guys i am looking for a CD player to go with my luxman amp and Harbeth speakers. Open for cdt and dac combo also.

What would be the Budget for the CDP or CDP/dac combo?

Do these m30 sound different then the usual house sound of harbeth?

If not then won't a slightly brighter source help you with a good balance in sound ?

I find my room to be a little bright sounding. So would prefer a neutral to warm cdp/dac

Any one here heard or using Audio Note Cdp or Dac/CDT

My suggestion still would be what @jls001 recommended you
The pioneer pd-70ae. It just sounds fantastic with CDs.
It's almost neutral sounding but without any loss of musicality.
It replaced something costing 5x it's price

Am using the Metrum Jade with Cambridge CXC. It is richly textured and I consider it goes ahead of my other CDP the Ayon 1sc. Since you would not need the variable output the Metrum Onyx should be fine, and within your 2 lakh budget.

Aditya, well done! I am sure you will have fabulous music at home soon. What music do you listen to?

I have been unhappy with most CD Players. I find the digital front end the most difficult to settle with. My not so expensive Rega record player always seemed better than a CD player. I loved my old Naim but that died after long service. If you listen to lots of rock or jazz, it is awesome.

Thereafter I have ding donged with many. Now have an ancient DAC which is based out of a chip called 1704. Has it’s set of nay sayers too. However it works brilliantly for me.

I listened to the basic Audio Note CD player also and while it was decent, I preferred my DAC - it lacked excitement and was too midrange centric. You really need to try it out before you buy. Perhaps the higher end ones in AN are better

Recently changed to SOTM and Raspberry pi as the computer (using a software called JRiver). I really preferred this to the CD as it seemed to be more truthful.

Then came the biggest change - a USB cable! It was the sonic equivalent of bringing me several rows in front in the concert hall. Came to this chat as I was taking a break from some intense musical listening - Liszt Legends with Leslie Howard, followed by Peter Wispelwey playing Shostakovich’s cello concerto.

So everything makes a difference. Perhaps you should go with the CD player that Orko has. Oye Orko...

Surrealistix who owns Luxman has a T&A DAC and computer audio and it sounds great.

If you want to punt, there is a dude in Chennai selling a Meridian. And a CD transport. Can’t vouch for him, but they are well regarded products.

Good luck. This is going to be a toughie! Please get help from other Delhi audiophiles or dealers who will bring a CD player over.

Marantz cd 63 mkii may not match system with which is already bright and moreover it is too entry level to mate with Luxman. May be try some TDA-1541 chip based CD players like Mission Cyrus PCMii if vintage route chosen.

If the OP uses a CD transport or the digital output of a CDP and an external DAC, will the warmth and musicality be a function of the transport or the DAC?

If the OP uses a CD transport or the digital output of a CDP and an external DAC, will the warmth and musicality be a function of the transport or the DAC?
It's a function of both. Less of an issue with cd transports but with computer audio, the wrong transport chain can rob a lot of warmth

Thanks for your inputs. But somehow I really don’t feel like spending so much money on a Pioneer Cdp , maybe a demo can change my view. Trying to find a used Esoteric or something similar.

This is again blind (deaf?) based on reviews but Musical Fidelity M3 and Rega Apollo came tops in a recent hifi choice group test. Both should be a less than a lakh I believe, have dealers in India and were lauded for their warm sound.

While I could buy anything used, CD players I do worry about as the laser mechanism fails.

Heed the dude (Prem) - listen if possible.

Vivek

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back