MUSICAL FIDELITY M6i

Yeah! The Dynaudio Audience seem to be very difficult to match.On my Audience 122 I finally got decent sound with Cyrus 8 VS 2 and Chord cables.But the Cyrus ran out of steam beyond the 11'0'clock position.Sometimes I want to play really LOUD.Cyrus did not give me that option.A Bryston B100 SST/MF A5/Krell S300i/PLINIUS 9200 would drive the Audience well but that means paying twice or more for your amp over what the Dyn's cost.The Dyn Audience 72 on sale by Spidey is decently priced.But it would need amps like I have mentioned above to sound good.
Have purchased the Bryston BP 6 Pre Amplifier.A DREAM.Last two days I have been listening to music for something like 16 hours a day.Six hours hours of sleep and two hours out of the house excluded.Currently listening to Hey Nineteen,Steely Dan,Stunning!
Dilemma...
Should I buy Bryston 3 B SST Squared (150 WPC at 8 Ohms) .First choice but expensive.
OR
Musical Fidelity M6 PRX (260 WPC at 8 Ohms).More affordable.

go for the 3bsst.... it is really worth it. and the bp6 is matched to it perfectly...

@Dinyaar
Thanks for an unbiased,well informed and rational response to my query.Wish all replies on the forum could reach this level.
Incidentally your choice of words and measured way of putting across your opinion reminds me of two guys who have helped me gain a lot of hifi 'sense' in the last few months---Grattan Vaz and Arup Goswamy:)

Thanks Ajay

Little I interacted with Arup suggested he was an encyclopedia on all things related to audio and Grattan is an old friend. If these two guys are helping out, u are in good hands.
The only point to note is that each person has a different perception of what he considers good sound. Mine is very different from Grattan s for sure as I am not solely aiming for 'accuracy' in my HIFI.
Rgds

Thanks Ajay

Little I interacted with Arup suggested he was an encyclopedia on all things related to audio and Grattan is an old friend. If these two guys are helping out, u are in good hands.
The only point to note is that each person has a different perception of what he considers good sound. Mine is very different from Grattan s for sure as I am not solely aiming for 'accuracy' in my HIFI.
Rgds

Was an encyclopedia?I am sure he still is :)

Would like to know more about your version of good sound vis-a-vis Grattan's.

Hi
Yes am sure HE STILL IS!!! Past tense as I interacted with him some two years ago.

My take on good sound :-

Good Tone first & foremost

Full Midrange

Highs that are smooth. Could be a silk dome, aluminium, titanium, diamond or a ceramic in my case. I can sacrifice some 'air' for a treble thats natural and does not hurt the ear for longer sessions. Anything where the HF is in the forefront (many modern speakers are this way as one mis interprets this as a portrayal of "great detail") will not work for me.

Lastly a bass that is in control and not all over the place. This will depend on the driving amplifier too naturally but basically some speakers are tweaked to give massive bass and some dont go that low. In my room anything that is threatening to go low is best avoided as it causes an overhang and that smears the rest of the frequencies.

A crossover design that is SEAMLESS to the ear at least.

I'll list out a few speaker brands that I would consider:
Harbeth, Pro ac , Avalon, maybe Sonus. Some of the models from each of these brands really appeal and so do a few Dyna.

I have had some B&W speakers(601,603,704,804,805) and before that some Dynaudio(last was the 1.3 SE)and as a teen I listened to my inherited quad ESLs. Very different sounds as u can see!!! Recently tried the Thiels too but could not live with the nature of the HF and the thin sounding midrange. The Radiator took it tooo low in my room and that was the last straw.

Musical tastes too will change and with mellower music my expectations from HIFI too have changed.

Arup loves his B&Ws and loves the Dynamic shifts and the massive scale of portrayal but I guess he must have a larger room.Whenever I have heard the 800/802 it amazes for a while but then sounds 'heavy' and slow. This could be due to various things in the chain but these kind of steroidal speakers demand tons of space and space is something I cant provide much of.
Grattan is all for accuracy and control. A thiel 3.7 with a massive Bryston would make him happy for a long time. I would rather take the accuphase with an avalon!!!! If I had more room I would take the AVALON INDRA and use it for the next 20 years with an accuphase. Since I cant create more space I have the ascendant with the E450 which does a lot for me. Its not that I dont like a Bryston amp rather I would match them with speakers that are more full sounding than a thiel 2.4/3.7.

Rgds

Last edited:
Smooth highs,natural (no fatigue) treble,tight focused bass,seamless crossover.Accuracy and detail.Great dynamics.Can't we have a bit or more of all these in one set up?

Hello Ajay Bhai
Your thread is a big learning experience for members like me also :)

@ Dinyaar Bhai
Wonderful explanantion on the kind of sound you want from your system

Smooth highs,natural (no fatigue) treble,tight focused bass,seamless crossover.Accuracy and detail.Great dynamics.Can't we have a bit or more of all these in one set up?

Hi,

Yes we can,but for that you have to get of the beaten path,and take the road less travelled.

Regards
Rajiv

@Rajiv
'Yes we can,but for that you have to get of the beaten path,and take the road less travelled.'

And pray where is the fork that leads to the road less traveled?And what is the scenery like that-a-away?Am not very fond of the beaten path anyway.Are you by any chance referring to a tube sound?

@Rajiv
'Yes we can,but for that you have to get of the beaten path,and take the road less travelled.'

And pray where is the fork that leads to the road less traveled?And what is the scenery like that-a-away?Am not very fond of the beaten path anyway.Are you by any chance referring to a tube sound?

and this fork which leads to the open spaces and fresh air (for me)

would be a two-way (scanspeak) with a transmission line subwoofer (single).

Hi Ajay
Yes u surely get a 'bit' and a 'bit more' of all the above in most gear. Problem is that most of us " want it all". Now that is not possible in most rooms that I have come across (mine is just about average). If u are prepared to spend and sensibly buy gear to match your taste /environment AND TREAT your room you can get the sound you are after.

I have most of the above but for the bass and to an extent Dynamics. Dynamics from an avalon are more realistic as against a Wilson audio which excels at dynamics. How much of it depends on each individual. I have heard some modern speakers that are dynamic to the extent of making my music more like 'drama' if u get my point.
An Accuphase is not known to give 'tight controlled bass ". They would rather call it a 'full extended bass'. Its a play on words really on the part of the Co IMO. It excels at everything but for bass control and that is the reality I live with. Your Bryston on the other hand excels at that along with the older Krells, levinsons, sims etc etc.

Ajay do u feel ur set up lacking in any way? Are u finding the Bryston combo a bit forward/ lively ? I have no experience with your speaker so difficult to presume.

Rgds

Have not received the 3B SST yet due to unforeseen circumstances....
Will get it soon.
In the mean time it is iMac/BP6 Bryston/Onkyo 25 WPC /Onkyo book shelf's in my small 10x12 'trading' room'.The Bryston has really 'livened' up the sound and last few days I have been on a Rock trip...Stevie Ray Vaughan/Steely Dan/John Mayall/Rolling Stones and the one and only PHIL OCHS.

I cannot think Vienna speakers can sound forward or harsh unless prodded too much.

On the other hand, Dinyaar, did you consider the Accuphase E550 when you were looking at their amplifiers ? Even though it is only 30 watts, some people say they are more capable at handling loudspeakers. Any experience ?

I cannot think Vienna speakers can sound forward or harsh unless prodded too much.

On the other hand, Dinyaar, did you consider the Accuphase E550 when you were looking at their amplifiers ? Even though it is only 30 watts, some people say they are more capable at handling loudspeakers. Any experience ?

HI
Yes I did consider the E 550.
After spending years with power amps and current hungry speakers I wanted to 'simplify' my set up. Wanted a top flight one box solution.
Reason I opted for the 180W class A/B E 450 over the 30W class A E 550 was that I would be severely restricted in my choice for speakers if I go for the latter. Yes it sounds 'creamier' but I thought 30 W is 30 W and I wanted to be safe and 180W with good tone and moderate control meant I could have an ocean of speaker options.
I was not entirely correct in the fact that I heard the 550 drive the Thiels!!!!! And do a damn good job of it. This was after I had bought my amplifier rather it was when a friend was considering the Thiel CS 3.7. Now I know a Thiel is a tough load and I cannot fathom how 30W albiet Class A (60W X 4 ohms) coped that well. The highish sensitivity of the 3.7 helped to play at moderate SPL. Later we swapped the Accuphase for a meaty Bryston 14 BSST and the speaker played differently. More dynamic, more attack and great snap on the drums BUT I THOUGHT THE TONE was a bit compromised. I guess it all would depend on the listeners preference, taste in music and the SPL desired in HIS listening room.
I dont regret my purchase but I know its limitations into tough loads. The avalon ascendant is NOT that much of a load and is handled by the integrated reasonably well IMO.
Rgds

Well Dr Bass it handles any 4 ohm loudspeaker I have thrown at it.(Dyna Confi,Avalon ascendant, Thiel 2.4/3.7 etc) Great drive capability but at higher spls a loss of control. Secondly due to room limitations the 'full' sound that it outputs (as against the lean sound of so many modern HIFI) becomes too much.
I cannot say that the 550 would not do the same as I have not done a side by side A/B. The 450 defiantely drives harder.
I am not a techical guy but to me 30 Watts is 30 watts. Quality / purity of tone maybe but a well implemented class A/B is good enough for me.
Are u keen on acquiring or do u already have something similar?
Rgds

@Ajay,the fork arrives when you decide to get off the beaten path and step on to the road less travelled.

For me it was when I heard a pair of Tannoy Golds driven by Radford amps several decades ago the front end was a Dual or Thorens TT, I forget which. This system sounded so much more real,than any set up I heard till then.

The road is not smooth and is filled with potholes,and some steep drops,but the view is amazing once you get the hang of how to negotiate the tricky slopes.

It is not just tube sound,there is a lot more ,wide band loudspeaker drivers,high efficiency drivers,horns,SET amps ,vintage speakers with light paper cones and big Alnico magnets,field coil drivers etc.

It is not for the faint of heart,but as they say he who dares wins.

Below is a link to another persons journey which is similar to mine.

AudiogoN Forums: Worst Stereo in Texas

Regards
Rajiv

Sometime back I was looking to upgrade from my Plinius integrated. I was keen about the Accuphase line. I had heard their entry level E203 which had some magic to it but yes, resolution and bass control was left wanting. So when I wanted to upgrade from my Plinius I thought of looking at the higher end Accuphase and E450 vs 550 was something I wanted to know. At that time I had Dynaudio 1.3SE so I did not want to take risk with the 30 watter but I also got some interesting feedback then that E550 can sound amazing even if it is just about 30 watts. Finally I ended up buying a Symphonic Line RG1 Mk4. But my infatuation with Accuphase was yet there:p.

@Rajeev
Oh Yeah! Really enjoyed reading the tale from Texas.And that room looks like Paradise.
After seven months of buying/selling/negotiations/head scratching/poring over reviews and forums I am exhausted mentally,emotionally,financially.I think I am going to take a break with the Arcam/VA/Bryston/Transparent set up.
But the fork suggested by you is definitely interesting.Maybe I will venture off the beaten track a little later.....

@Rajeev
Oh Yeah! Really enjoyed reading the tale from Texas.And that room looks like Paradise.
After seven months of buying/selling/negotiations/head scratching/poring over reviews and forums I am exhausted mentally,emotionally,financially.I think I am going to take a break with the Arcam/VA/Bryston/Transparent set up.
But the fork suggested by you is definitely interesting.Maybe I will venture off the beaten track a little later.....

yes - that will heal your wounds - with the "Arcam/VA/Bryston/Transparent set up" proving to be a soothing balm!

in the meanwhile - i have had a (60 ml) gentleman jack - and enjoying your "Elvis Presley" ( like never before!!!:))

thanks ajay124 -

90 ml you say?

@Suri
Gentleman Jack is very good as long as you don't dilute/pollute it with too much water.Libation time for me also.90 ml of Balvenie with 45 ml of 'ro'.And who else.....Johann Sebastian Bach.
A gentleman on the happiness thread suggested that happiness is obeying the commandment of God.Well Bach for me is God and I guess listening to his music is like listening to his commandment.I am happy....

Back