MUSICAL FIDELITY M6i

Hi Dr
Yes I have an opinion on accuphase Cdps. Have heard the older Accu cdps and had liked them but frankly at the time I myself had such basic gear that anything seemed better sounding and better built.
I have heard the DP 400/DP 500 in my home alongwith my gear and they are superb cdps. Yes they are rich sounding. The music seemed to flow and the notes seemed to fully bloom. BUT IN MY ROOM accu cdp + accu amp + avalon speakers seemed toooo full a sound and I thought like exactly like you!!! Thought I should try a more accurate source, one that does minimal.
Plus the fact that none of these cdps come cheap. Tried an Esoteric XO 5 and to my ears that was more neutral but did not have that 'sweetness of tone' that the DP 500 had so passed on that one too.

I am still sticking to a Yamaha CDS 2000 that replaced an arcam CD 192 and though I know its the weak link it seems to do fine for me at the moment. Am looking for a cdp for sure but I am a bit stumped. I dont know if an Ayon cdp will work for me plus the fact that its not available in bbay and there is no way I can buy a cdp blind.

Any suggestions Dr? Budget about USD 5K

Rgds

Thanks for the info Dinyaar, I want to listen to a Accu CDP some time.

As for CDPs, there is a Cary 306Pro going for sale. It is in absolute mint condition and is owned by our forum member Awedophile.
Even, I may upgrade from my Reimyo in a few months, will let you know;).
If you want to buy new, for your requirement, I would suggest something like the higher end Linn or Naim, which has great Pace, Rhythm and timing + good tone. You could also look at Electrocompaniet EMC1 UP, nice product.
Another superb product would be a Symphonic line "The CD player".
I am myself looking at the S-L.

Hi Dinyaar,
If you kindly forgive me, can I offer some opinion on your contemplated CDP-upgrade. A few weeks ago, while exchanging PMs with Ali (magma) I found out about your new speakers. Ali liked your old speakers (B&W 805, not sure he heard your Thiels), but he was really ecstatic about the new speakers.

Well, now that I have heard your old set-up for at least an hour and a half, I can say something about it (although it would be completely from my perspectives, and from my kind of music that I mostly heard your system with).

Before saying anything, let me apologize profusely, because you guys have heard a lot more equipments than I ever heard, and even if I did hear a few, my attention always goes towards the music and I tend to ignore everything else. This I have said many times, however, it does not hurt to repeat it. But whatever I will say it will be an honest statement and you may or may not like it.

Here we go then.

Your system was very fluid and full sounding. One could listen to it not just for hours, but for days on without getting fatigued. It had reasonable amount most good stuff, like details, tonality etc etc. Compared with some systems I have heard, however, I felt some things could be improved, for example the resolution and focus (and perhaps also dynamics, but I did not have proper music with me to test that part properly). Please remember whatever I found a little lacking is all relative, yours is a very very very good and musical system with excellent tonality.

Given the reputation of your 450 amp, I doubt anything about the amp. Now you have upgraded your speakers, and Ali likes them (I think I'd like them too, because on most occasions I have liked Ali's views, albeit on speakers on a much lower level). Hence the obvious spot is the CDP.

Now, here is what I really want to say: I do not think an expensive ultra-smooth extremely full-sounding CDP is always the best solution from the point of view of synergy. If I understood your amp correctly, I think you need an accurate true sounding CDP, not necessarily a very expensive one. That coupled with your very fluid, full-sounding and dynamic speaker-amp combo will give you the best possible sound. A bit of isolation for your CDP and a good IC, that will complete the solution. I know you tried pure silver ICs before and have abandoned them, but you perhaps did not try them when you had the right electronics. In addition, did you wait till they were fully burnt in ?(pure silver ICs sound absolutely awful to start with, very bright harsh and edgy, although they will carry an enormous amount of detail from the very beginning. I have recently kept a few such cables between the STB and TV for extended periods before putting them into the system). This will give you incredible amount of details, a tremendous focus of the sound, and improved dynamic range (basically an improved signal-to-noise ratio). Do not worry about musicality, your amp and speakers will provide that. (But I agree: pure silver cables are not for every system). These ICs may even tame little lack of bass control in smaller rooms.

I hope I do not sound patronizing. I am just elder to you, but in all other aspects you guys are far ahead. If I said something wrong or obnoxious, just ignore it. Whatever I have written above is from my own experience, and my interpretations of a given situation may be wrong.

Regards.

Hey Asit

I always appreciate any advise. Coming from a musician makes it even better.
Asit u heard the set up in my temporary home in a large room. That was the time my apartment was being renovated.

Now that 805 is a good speaker. Its not great at all but good. If set up and powered properly it can sound good. The problem if at all was the metal tweeter being over zealous. With the accuphase amp and all cardas cabling I was very happy till I heard the avalons.

These take smoothness to a different level. I could listen for days (if time permitted) and feel no fatigue. Its a speaker that may not appeal to one instantly (to me thats a positive) but in a short while u start really liking it.
I think U will like it and the invitation to u always stands.

Asitji (since u said u are elder!!!!) u need not be so guarded when it comes to me for sure. U are correct on the cdp I think. My thinking is on similar lines. Too much of 'cream' is also bad. It may make the sound super smooth.
My dealer offered me all the cdps to take home and I did. Heard all over a weekend and then put back the yamaha. It is beaten but by players of a much higher pedigree & price.
Later i slept over it and thought that I am still enjoying the set up as is and that small improvement is not justifying the money. Plus the fact that I will have to sell that yamaha for half of what I paid. I just thanked Grattan and told him we keep the cdp upgrade for later.
Later went to stockholm/london for few days and heard a few systems there from gamut, sim, densen, electrocompaniet. Did not have much spare time but I did feel that its getting impossible for me to really conclude on a cd player for myself.
Every cable reveals itself better now and I am using a few XLO and occasionally the kimbers. The cardas are sold as they did not work in a warm, laid back set up.
I am looking for THE JUBILEE hybrid from VDH. Its the all silver limited edition cable and based on the D102 MK 3. I did try the kimber KCAG (all silver) but I preferred my own cables. At the moment I am using the Accuphase silver coated Ics and am happy.
Ali had heard the Thiels too and had liked them. He comes over often and is great fun. The thiels boomed a bit much and were a bit forward so I passed them and frankly they were there at the time I was negotiating for the avalon and as soon as that fell in place I swapped.
Actually I am at the moment getting a set up for a dear friend. I know his tastes and room is massive so looking for some FS. He is enamoured by sonus faber so I will try hearing a few and then decide the electronics to power them.
Keep in touch Asit and see u next time u visit Bombay.
Rgds
DK

Thanks dinyaar for the invitation. I'd certainly like to visit you and would love to hear your new speakers. Hopefully I will visit Bombay some time this year again.

Regards.

Dinyaar Bhai
Why not keep the Yamaha CDP as source and pair with a very good DAC. That way it will make your setup future proof. You would then be able to listen to high resolution digital files if needed

@Dinyaar/Dr.Bass
Have you auditioned Meridian CDP's GO 6 and GO 8?
The 808 Signature Reference in the 6-7 lakhs price bracket lives in a realm where I have no intention of ever venturing.
IN my opinion when a manufacturer names an amp/cdp/speaker 'reference' its time to run for cover.The word 'reference' seems to be a subliminal advertising ploy suggesting that anyone who buys the product will be rubbing shoulders with the worlds best sound engineers!In most cases 'reference' and 'signature' seem to be more of a status thing than a reflection of sound quality.

hmm
dinyaar and a dac ..hmm ...

i hardly have any experience compared to most guys here,
Though dinyaar keeps calling that YAM the weakest link ( which it may be ) ive heard his setup with a few of his recent upgrades
do you think there is another CDP more cleaner and neutral than your current..( with cost justification)

i would actaully like to hear a CDP with some flavour yaar. wish dinyaar found something in that area.
though i doubt dinyaar ji is gonna take that route! ( knowing him)

actaully you know what - coming to think of it a turntable would bloody be perfect with his current setup.(having heard his amp and speakers!)
For me this would actaully be audio nirvana i think

though i doubt dinyar may take that route as well! - ( the pain of collecting records ...ooff)
(P.S the turntable is only what i would like to hear , its not meant to be practical advice)

Last edited:
hmm
dinyaar and a dac ..hmm ...

i hardly have any experience compared to most guys here,
Though dinyaar keeps calling that YAM the weakest link ( which it may be ) ive heard his setup with a few of his recent upgrades
do you think there is another CDP more cleaner and neutral than your current..( with cost justification)

i would actaully like to hear a CDP with some flavour yaar. wish dinyaar found something in that area.
though i doubt dinyaar ji is gonna take that route! ( knowing him)

actaully you know what - coming to think of it a turntable would bloody be perfect with his current setup.(having heard his amp and speakers!)
For me this would actaully be audio nirvana i think

though i doubt dinyar may take that route as well! - ( the pain of collecting records ...ooff)
(P.S the turntable is only what i would like to hear , its not meant to be practical advice)

Very true magma, in Dinyaar's own words "he already too deep into SACD"!

Though, even I feel, he'd feel extremely satisfied if he ever got into Vinyl!

Hi Guys
Ajay, I have not heard the meridian u mention but hear the older 808 often as a friend owns one. It certainly is very good but then so are many others at lower prices. I think in the 1L range the arcam machine is the one to beat and then in the 2.5 to 3.5 L range the accu/esoteric/sim machines are all very good. Am sure the Ayon machines are musical too so thats another option in the said category.
I am still using a cdp in the first category and am really trying very hard to stay there!!!The 5/6 L machines i am not even looking at.
I also dont want a used cdp plus preferably one that has a local service backup.

Ali/manav, Ya I cant go back to Lps now. Have sold the rig plus all the Lps ages ago. CDs are hassle free listening. Manav u have built a great collection of records as that was the way u wanted to head and I on the other hand went and bought tons of cds/sacds in the last few decades so my path is already charted. I have an oldie living across me with one of the best TT rigs and even better W Classical collection so I go over and listen ever so often.

I bought the yamaha machine as it reached Indian shores from the then distributor at a superb price. I have liked it in every way. Superbly built internally & externally and a joy to use. It is a fact that it does not sell as yamaha is not perceived to be 'in that league' when one is contemplating a cdp. Plays SACD plus is fully balanced and was an upgrade to the cyrus CD6/Arcam 192 that I had.

Rikhav, Yes I could get a good DAC and use the yamaha as a transport. What I also thought I could do is buy the accuphase DAC that just fits into a slot at the rear of my amplifier. Now that is an option but the problem is there is no DAC imported by the distributor and he will only order if I confirm it in advance. This again becomes a blind buy and was hence hesitating.

Rgds

Last edited:
Having disposed off more than 200 CD's and a similar number of tapes in the last one month,this would be a heaven sent opportunity for me to spend that money on vinyl.But with so many ingredients-source/amp/speakers/cables/ic's/powercords/cd's already cooking in the hifi pot I don't want to complicate my life further by now beginning a hunt for a turntable.....
nuff is nuff.After I get the Bryston 3B SST by next weekend (I wish time could be fast forwarded!) I intend to punch the paaauuussse button for quite some time .....

ajay
you are getting a bryston
hope you have spoken to dinyaar about it.He kinda knows brystons reasonably well

ajay
you are getting a bryston
hope you have spoken to dinyaar about it.He kinda knows brystons reasonably well

Have not personally spoken to him.But on this thread generally everybody--Dinyaar,Manav,DR.Bass as well as Grattan and Arup have given Bryston BP6/3B SST two thumbs up.I believe those are enough recommendations.....

Have not personally spoken to him.But on this thread generally everybody--Dinyaar,Manav,DR.Bass as well as Grattan and Arup have given Bryston BP6/3B SST two thumbs up.I believe those are enough recommendations.....

Bro, lemme say this again...

The Bryston Bp6/3BSST is the smoothest combo and is a very very great deal at the price. It is also the safest combination and will go well with a wide range of music.

I found that the Bryston's can be a wee bit forward if paired with certain cables. Overall, very easily tweakable and can handle the toughest speakers with incredible ease.

The highs are airy and nice.
The mid's are smooth but not creamy like an Accuphase (in my book, its a plus).
The low end slam is unbeatable unless you want to spend a lot more and get a Krell....

That's my two bits as a former owner!

Last edited:
Need advise on housing Cdp/Pre/Power.This is the audio rack I asked my carpenter to build with left over wood lying at home.Basically cut the wood into 3 inch wide panels and used a drill and 1.5 brass screws to put it together.Getting it finished and polished today from my painter.
Would like advise about what to do with the 'hollow' parts and the top.
Leave it the way it is?
Use thick 8mm glass?
Use Granite?Have a block lying at home and a shop nearby for getting it cut.
Anything else? Looks are important but will go for something that would provide good isolation.
Could not locate decent spikes for the bottom.At the moment fixed in .5 inch plastic supports.
Flooring is marble.No carpet.

Last edited:
The Bryston 3B SST should finally be on its way on Monday after hitting several unexpected roadblocks.Will probably get it by Wednesday.Have high hopes from this one.Sick and tired of researching/comparing/spending.Want to settle down with a good set up for a few years at least.Hopefully the journey would have reached a major milestone next week.
Meanwhile,links to some reviews which helped me make up my mind about the Bryston.
http://www.10audio.com/bryston_3bsst.htm
Audio Ideas Guide Hi-Fi and Home Theater Equipment Reviews: Bryston 3B SST Stereo Power Amplifier
Bryston 3B SST Reviews
http://bryston.com/warranty.html
YouTube - Bryston 3B SST

Last edited:
The 10 Audio review is spot on! I'd say much the same things about the Bryston 3BSST. It is one lovely little amp and I hope it reaches you soon!

Ajay, that is one of the truest reviews on the BP6!

You will be on 7th heaven once your pre mates with the power! Their mating sounds will give YOU an orgasm! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hi Ajay
Most of us have at some point got swayed by reviews only to find the product does not live up to our expectations.
It could be a mismatch with the rest of the gear or it could be unrealistic expectations.
The BP 6 is a simple, straight forward SS preamp. Bryston are not known for the Pre or for the CDP but rather its Pro audio heritage and good power amps.
Todays Bryston is heading in many directions.

I found the BP 6 good value and a rather honest reproduction. Dont expect it to add an colour, warmth........ If u want some colour with a bryston Power amp then there are other candidates that one looks at before a Bryston Preamp or one can try the BP 26 that is 'supposed' to be voiced such. I ahve heard all the power amps and the BP 6 / BP 16 and I prefer the BP 6.

I can assure u it will last more than the 20 year warranty as these rarely fail.
Rgds

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back