MX brand HDMI (v1.4) cable 15meters - my experience with PS3/projector

raja2001

[This thread should have been posted in Audio/Video cable section (mistook digital cable for cable ;-)) - moderators, please help move it there, didnt know how to move it after the post]

Needed a 10-15m HDMI cable. Went to SP road, bangalore & after looking around, got a 10m MX brand 1.4 HDMI cable for about 1500Rs. The seller had a cheaper cable for about 1000Rs and an expensive version of MX for 3500 odd Rs, but told me that many installers in bangalore choose this white MX cable & it should do the job and suggested that i dont have to buy the expensive one, unless i was paranoid.

Got it home and tested it with my PS3 setup (1080p blu-ray discs as source). Noticed 2 problems

1. After every 1 minute or so the screen would go completly blank for 2 seconds and come back up. Going back to my 3m cable, didnt notice it. After many experiements even with the shorten version of the cable, i noticed the blank screen after every 10minutes and with longer one ever 1 minute or so.

2. My epson projector couldnt immediately sync up, it used to say no signal/signal not recognized. This might be because of the HDCP protocol, had to reset my PS3/AVR to re-negotiate and then it would recognize it. Didnt have this problem with 3m cable.

Attributed this to my long HDMI cable. Some online research suggested that problem '1' above could be PS3 specific and changing setting to avoid the 'Deep Color setting' in 'Display setting' fixed the issue. It is very possible that it reduces the bandwidth requirement for the cable and hence fixes the problem.

Heard from couple of other folks that they tend to see dots with this version of white MX cable i had after 2-3 months of usage.

So i decided to get the cable changed and also the 10m cable fell short for my needs, so had to get a 15m. Dediced to upgrade HDMI cable this time (instead of 2500Rs MX 15m, got the 5000Rs 15m MX 3134D - supposedly supports higher bandwidth).

Changed the PS3 back to have setting of deep colors with the new cable to test it out.

Didnt notice the issue of screen going blank (problem #1 above)

For about a second or so projector does have the problem #2 issue, but it eventually syncs up without having me turn off devices for re-sync.

Many online discussions suggest HDMI cable quality doesnot matter, but based on my personal experience with long cable, it is best to choose quality ones is what i have realized. Probably with the shorter version guess it wouldnt matter that much.

Last edited:
Thanks for review,is it apple series of MX?The cables are not thick enough.Look is good.I am thinking to get one 1.4.

Yea, i have had problems recently with cheapo ones....wouldn't output 1080p,would go only upto 1080i though the box was screaming 1080p in lots of languages.

But once u can get a cheapo cable that works, u don't notice much difference with the picture quality atleast it has been so in my cases.

It just said MX cable (didnt see the name apple in it).

The HDMI 1.4 version is white color, the 1.3x version is black color and cheaper.

The MX 3134D that i got is sort of gold/orangish in color and comes in a neat suitcase kindof box.

This cable doest have any ferrite cores, the shorter version which i got in from monoprice.com all came with ferrite core which supposedly help with noise protection.

I had one 25 foot HDMI cable from monoprice.com which was twice as thick as the MX one i have now, unfortunately the pin broke off and it is not repairable, had to buy a new MX one.

ok, no apple in mine. Have attached a picture of the version of the cable. It came in a plastic translucent sort of briefcase.

Attachments

• Mx Cable.jpg
    Mx Cable.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 183
to be fair, generally itself the HDMI connector itself is horrible!

Doesn't lock at all and that also leads to display issues..
(talking abt the click that you get for ex: with Ethernet cables..)

Apple is new series & dont know whats so special.Earlier cables used to come in round plastic case.this one in a pack like MP3 player have.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back