My 1st HT system - Is Yamaha YST2910 the right choice?

ankurdpathak

Hi. I am about to buy my first home theatre system. I first thought of buying a soundbar (Philips Fidelio 9100 Yamaha YAS103, YSP1400 were my choices). I wanted soundbars as I did not want the clutter of wires running around my home. However, when I auditioned the systems, I found the home theatre experience was best experienced in a 5.1 HT system only.

I have zeroed in on Yamaha YST2910. It retails at Yamaha partner in Begumpet, Hyderabad. This is expensive by about 10% compared to its online price. But since I am a newbie in the AV world, I need the technical support/expertise which comes with a physical store.

I also checked the YST299 at Reliance Digital, Banjara Hills. It was on offer for Rs 36,000/-. I know there's hardly any perceptible difference in specs between the two. I still wish to go with the Yamaha partner for the YST2910. That's because of the reasons I stated in the previous para. I am not convinced RD will be able to give good support. Besides, I understand YST299 is 2-3 years old model.

Is Yamaha YST2910 a decent HT for a beginner? Am I making the right choicr? I'd appreciate any inputs from you. Thanks.

Cheers,
Ankur

YHT-299 is last year's model. THT-2910 is this year's model and the amp and features are same. If you can get YHT-299 that is most value for money now.
I think YHT-2910 is above 40k and you are paying premium as it is new model and not for any other improvement.

Yes YHT-299/2910 is a good HTIB with active sub. There is also a dedicated thread in this forum which you may want to go through to know about the users feedback.

Hi Sunil,

Thanks for your message. I understand that 2910 is costlier than 299. The difference is about Rs 6k. But that difference is due to the fact that both the models are sold through different offline channels. 299 is sold through Reliance Digital while 2910 is sold through exclusive Yamaha partner called USK Electronics. USK is also a dealer of other popular HiFi brands like Polk, Denon, Pioneer and a lot others...

Online price of 2910 is about 3k lesser than my price. As I said in my initial post, I am paying a premium solely for the technical installation/service of the Yamaha offline partner.

I'm glad to know that 299/2910 is a good HT system to have. Thanks!

Cheers,
Ankur

Go ahead its a vfm htib despite the price .. It sure has some extras as dc out and stuff over 299.. However gradually you will want to move to front floor standing speakers etc i.e.Upgrade,just as would have happened with yht299...
Worth trying negotiation to bring it a bit down though if you can .. Unless you have already exhausted that ..

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back