My Delta Sigma USB 1.1 DAC Build

Thats good, AD DAC looks better than CA OR BB.
Zero DAC with AD DAC sounds close to tubes(av forum reference)

Actualy it is widely recognised that the BB PCM1704 is still considered to be one of the best DAC chips ever made..even used in what is considered to be the best DAC, the Mark and Levinson No 30.6.

Then again a DAC isn't just the converter chip, there is a lot more attached to it on both the input and output side that make a great DAC.

Some people have lived major part of their life researching , including OP-AMPs, their inputs are highly valuable all the time .

I don't claim any experience at all other than some opamp rolling for specific functions like I/V, servo and filters/buffers.

What is the application of your design?

Kaushik I salute your DIY spirit!

--
helium
Amp: Lyrita SET 2A3
Speakers: Vintage B&W DM4
Source: LG DVD + Beresford DAC
Cables: Lyrita's I.C & cables

mnhegde,

There is some problem with regulated power for opamp buffer, i made on a verroboard ,somewhere there is a bug,
unable to source the tiny amount of current that the opamp needed so buffer stage is giving a humm.

i am getting the +/-15v but current is way too low.
> troubleshooting will take more time than building new unit,i will do the later one.

>next ,have to make PSU pcb at home

Making PCB is another chapter... have to buy H2O2,HCL,Copper Clad,a small drill ,no other way
cant give nonfinalized design to PCB maker.I have Q-mini regulator boards,needs hard-to-find :rolleyes: japanese transistors .

>done the layout :

Ok here is a short review so far what I have..

Hardware:
I adopted the modding path,as component sourcing at one piece per unit is difficult.

I am using a bantam dac , modded with capacitors, added better ferrites and some multilayers capacitors.

Setup

DAC >yamaha AVR inbuilt stereo amp>diy bookshelf with recession buster kit

The op-amp stage etc on hang as explained above.

i tried 2 -3 crystals from different sources , no drastic
changes .. revert back to the stock crystal. VCXO and
fully square clock mods are on list in future.

The review could have been appropriate if playback was done in a respectable stereo system.

Software:

XMPLAY with WASAPI in exclusive mode enabled.
I am using Vista HP in sony vaio laptop.

Sound so far:
(i am a semi-audiophile, you can consider a beginner)
To compare first i listened to laptop inbuilt realtek soundcard then
I switch to the dac mode ,first observation :subtle layers of detail sneak out .
I can hear good instrument separation, widened sound stage. Definitely listenable
for beginners,the DAC is a little sharp sounding in some type of music. I observed
that the bell type of instruments sound very real ,some percussion instruments reveal
and sound natural.

The dynamics are not that great , will improve after the op-amp circuit added .Situation
is improved with Izotope dsp room correction,but this make the unit a little forward sounding .

I am using FLAC as well as some 320kbps mp3s, Some tracks i listened worth mentioning:

Alison Krauss "In the palm of your hand" (320k mp3) her marvelous voice appearing smooth and
clear , some percussion instruments like small wooden ticks i can clearly hear. A wide 'sound stage'
gives a more entertaining listening experience.

Allan Taylor " Scotty"(FLAC), acceptabe piano representation in the background.
Played "First Cut is Deepest "(FLAC) Sheryl crow , the wood resonance of acoustic guitar , sound of nylon
strings etc are noticable.

After adding Fiio as buffer:
To add a buffer Fiio headphone amp output can be used The Fiio o/p is not line level , but for tests i am using it. It helps to improve the dynamics, voices get better texture etc ....

Thatz all for now.
I will mod and review time to time.

Last edited:
Thanks for rev Kaushik,

I thing its early to say as it may need some break in time.
Initially it may sound harsh.When stirng instruments feel seperated ,they tend to sound Bright.

Whats your opinion?

Thanks for rev Kaushik,

I thing its early to say as it may need some break in time.
Initially it may sound harsh.When stirng instruments feel seperated ,they tend to sound Bright.

Whats your opinion?

It completed 50 Hrs+ may be the poor AVR amp contributing to it , a mosfet amp is on the list of projects.

the output coupling capacitors responsible for the sound a lott,i will check if i can get some PIO capacitors for
less...(Mundrof germany etc ..for $$$:rolleyes:)

Last edited:
Hi Kaushik

You want to test your DAC with my setup? Bring your laptop and DAC to my place this sunday if you want. We can do A/B test with marantz CD6002.

Regards

Gobble ,
it is a usb only DAC:D, it cant take coax in this is the limitation with the PCM2702 .

There are TDA chips which can be used for both usb ,coax etc as we add helper chips to take new types .

Peters DAC is one such design ..will make one based on his design in future.

Congratulations on the DAC kaushik... Wood work looks terrific! I have my DAC box that is yet to be painted....any tips on getting that glossy, mirror shine on the wood panels ??

@cha_indian
polishing and coating,will do later ,your is full wood so dont do fully mirror shine , keep mirror gloss on sides with your favorite color, on front do a coating that reveals the wood texture.

For mirror finish you have to treat the wood with some liquid to close the pores ,otherwise it will absorb more paint and finish will be rough. The workers doing varnish know the stuff needed for.It is a paste kind of thing they make by mixing..i think mixture of Tung Oil and Polyurethane is used in european countries for some finishes.

First do a google on 'wood working'.. consult the carpenter
get a finish .. unsatisfied? then do sanding etc... and
go to my thread on mirror polish in HTPC section.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back