My DIY adventure...

jetlag

Hi guys
After lurking around for quite sometime, I have taken the plunge into this madness http://www.hifivision.com/images/icons/icon7.gif
In fact I started 3 projects, 2 of them are 95% complete and the third is just about beginning.
Pass B1, Hypex UcD 180st and a 2-way TL speaker having Scanspeak drivers.

At large I will have to thank a lot of people here for the inspiration....GeorgeO, T.Antony, Suri(sad that he is out of the forum), Ali (Magma), LinuxGuru to mention a few.

In particular, I will have to thank Sachin(Sachu888) and Omishra for making the Pass B1 possible. The boards they got are amongst the best in industry.

Will start posting pics soon, please be patient and lastly please bear with me while on this thread.

Peace
Jetlag

Hi Jetleg,
thanks for your kind words,we were waiting for your B1 build.Please post some pics.

Regards,
Sachin

Here are a few pics of my speaker cabinet...

speaker4.jpg

By jetlag9 at 2012-04-06

speaker3b.jpg

By jetlag9 at 2012-04-06

speaker2z.jpg

By jetlag9 at 2012-04-06

speaker1a.jpg

By jetlag9 at 2012-04-06

Hope this works....

Last edited:
Hi
I have updated the images.

The drivers are 18W/8434G00 and R2604/8320. This would be a clone of "Optimo" by Tony Gee. The drivers are different than the original design and so I have modified the cabinet dimensions and also the xover to match my drivers.

Peace
Jetlag

Pass B1 and interconnects....

The PassB1 is complete minus the knob. Waiting for Magma to provide for the same. On testing, I find it amazingly silent...not even with the ear pressed to the speaker can I hear any hiss.
I have used lead-free 5% silver solder throughout, the interconnects are shielded twisted pair, terminated with MX gold RCA and Neutrik XLR.

The chassis was salvaged from scrap and the face plate was custom made..7mm Al sandblasted and painted.

Here are a few pics...

passb1.jpg

By jetlag9 at 2012-04-09

1passb1.jpg

By jetlag9 at 2012-04-09

2passb1.jpg

By jetlag9 at 2012-04-09

interconnh.jpg

By jetlag9 at 2012-04-09

interconn2.jpg

By jetlag9 at 2012-04-09

More pics of my UcD later...

Peace
Jetlag

Last edited:
HI Jetleg,
your enclosure looks good,nice placement of parts.Pass B1 is very silent no hiss,hum etc.

Regards,
Sachin

Hey Jag,

Good job man. Post the speaker photos once completed. What finish are you planning?

Regards,
Venu

Nice work Jetlag, good to see a top firing TL taking shape,

I had used similar "porous" plywood for my bipoles and found them vehemently adding colorations in the bass and lower mid region, while some of those were pleasing(subjective) with the el-cheapo drivers I used, same might not be the case with your scan-speaks.

So do consider damping all the panels with bitumen or bitumenized felt to get better leverage from your drivers.

Hi
Thanks guys for the encouragement.
@T.Antony
Thanks a lot. was looking forward to see your comment..Right now I have damped using foam(the wavy stuff, will post pics soon). Tapping the cab now produces a highly better sound than earlier. I am still trying. Bitumen seems a good idea, will take it as it comes.

Venu
Thanks man. Right now it is going to be veneer.

Peace
Jetlag

Hypex UcD180

Hi again
This is my amp based on the infamous Hypex UcD. Well, it lives-up to its reputation. Very transparent, probably amongst the best class D's one can get.
I have used the SMPS as the power supply. The top portion holds the PS and the amp modules are in the bottom.

Here are a few pics.
The chassis, once again is salvaged from scrap..all aluminium (extruded).
The pen shown is for ref...pretty tight fit in the end.

hypexucd.jpg

By jetlag9 at 2012-04-10

hypex1.jpg

By jetlag9 at 2012-04-10

hypex2.jpg

By jetlag9 at 2012-04-10

hypex3.jpg

By jetlag9 at 2012-04-10

Peace
Jetlag

The speaker build begins...

Finally got some time to spend on the speakers. This is round 1 and I hope get into a boxing match..
I did the damping (no bitumen yet) and the cab sounds pretty dead...have also stuffed them with poly-fibre
The xover is tweaked to match these drivers and will do further tweaking trusting my ear!
The xover has solen caps, solen perfect lay Inductor, Goertz copper foil inductor and Mundorf res all from madisound.

Here are a few pics..
ssmid.jpg

By jetlag9 at 2012-04-14

ssmid2.jpg

By jetlag9 at 2012-04-14

sstweet.jpg

By jetlag9 at 2012-04-14

damping2.jpg

By jetlag9 at 2012-04-14

dampingz.jpg

By jetlag9 at 2012-04-14

stuffed.jpg

By jetlag9 at 2012-04-14

xovertry1.jpg

By jetlag9 at 2012-04-14

Peace
Jetlag

Jetlag,

Excellent build quality overall. I liked the wiring you have done on the B1. I would be interested in the sound of the TLs.

Keep us posted.

Cheers.

I picked up the foam while I was vacationing in Europe, with my wife screaming her lungs out like "you and your speakers..." and stuff like that. That was in May 11. I have successfully saved it from her for this long...the point is you don't get this stuff of the shelf in India and quite easily available abroad. So if you have some friend/relative ready to lug-it for you....

@sbg
The contour of the foam helps in cancelling standing waves.

Peace
Jetlag

I picked up the foam while I was vacationing in Europe, with my wife screaming her lungs out like "you and your speakers..." and stuff like that. That was in May 11. I have successfully saved it from her for this long...the point is you don't get this stuff of the shelf in India and quite easily available abroad. So if you have some friend/relative ready to lug-it for you....

@sbg
The contour of the foam helps in cancelling standing waves.

Peace
Jetlag

@Jetlag,
I'm not sure, but here is my understanding that it does help in cancelling the standing waves, but these are not "sound reflecting foam", Normally we tend to use "sound absorption foam" in building the speaker cabinets where in the special properties of these product is to quickly dissipate the sound waves the moment it hits the foam - by design they have minute air cells,and the pattern help to cover more of surface area and helps to break the sound waves at different timing - helping to the extent in reducing the reflections / echo .These foams or other materials are chosen based on absorption coefficients inherent to the material and not on the ground of sound reflection.

Besides these,having materials for dampening the wall to suppress resonance also helps.

If we are referring to Anechoic Wedges design - they normally are good for low frequencies and do some sort of sound reflecting I guess.But by the nature of the low frequencies waves these are normally big patterns and are generally used in a large volume enclosures - something like a "Room".

I may be wrong! hence my confused statement earlier.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back