My DIY adventure...

:eek::confused:..scary theory of materials

@Jetlag,
I'm not sure, but here is my understanding that it does help in cancelling the standing waves, but these are not "sound reflecting foam", Normally we tend to use "sound absorption foam" in building the speaker cabinets where in the special properties of these product is to quickly dissipate the sound waves the moment it hits the foam - by design they have minute air cells,and the pattern help to cover more of surface area and helps to break the sound waves at different timing - helping to the extent in reducing the reflections / echo .These foams or other materials are chosen based on absorption coefficients inherent to the material and not on the ground of sound reflection.

Besides these,having materials for dampening the wall to suppress resonance also helps.

If we are referring to Anechoic Wedges design - they normally are good for low frequencies and do some sort of sound reflecting I guess.But by the nature of the low frequencies waves these are normally big patterns and are generally used in a large volume enclosures - something like a "Room".

I may be wrong! hence my confused statement earlier.

Quite true sbg. The basic idea was to dampen and cancel, ideally though a material that is both flexible and heavy is best suited to dampen. That makes the cab as dead as one can get.
There is a material called Hawaphon, which these days is used for this purpose. Sadly it is not available here and is pretty heavy too.

Peace
Jetlag

Listening impressions

Hi again
Managed to assemble everything and start listening...unfinished yet.
Well, it sounds very clear, the bass is tight and there is a fair bit of decay as well (though I could live with some more).
Now, questions...
1. How long does it take to burn-in these drivers?
2. What happens to the bass afterwards?
3. What would a thicker baffle do to over-all performance?

Can someone throw some light on these aspects, please?

Peace
Jetlag

My Speakers

Finally my speakers are done. I made the baffle thicker before the final finishing. Sounds great...well, I like what I hear. Instruments that were not audible earlier are now presented and has really surprised me.

A couple of finished pics. Will try to post more later.

speaker1w.jpg

By jetlag9 at 2012-04-25

speaker2.jpg

By jetlag9 at 2012-04-25

Peace
Jetlag

Looks very nice. Are those XLR connectors that you have used? I agree about the sound of the Hypex modules..

I thought a few times about going for the ST 400, but 5 channels was a bit too pricey. The Power supply board could have handled it , all I would need to do was to have a bigger,heavier tranny as well.

Thanks guys...
The speakers are settling down nicely. I really have to pull myself out to office daily.
@Santosh
I live in mumbai..most welcome whenever you come here. just pm me before coming.

will post a couple of more pics later tonight

btw, where can I find good speaker grill cloth in Mumbai?

Peace
Jetlag

Re: My Speakers

The finish goes well with the enclosure, Great job :clapping:

... I made the baffle thicker before the final finishing. Sounds great...well, I like what I hear. Instruments that were not audible earlier are now presented and has really surprised me.

Is this observation on the same enclosure after you have increased only front baffle thickness?

Wonderful finish!! :clapping:Approximately how heavy are each? What did you use for the feet?

gopi

I think the speakers are superbly finished. Great work Jetlag.

I want risk the ridicule, but can this design be 'inverted'. The top opening of the TL is but a natural sink for all kinds of things to fall in and 'ruin' the sound, besides being a dust bowl that can't be cleaned, if you know what I mean. (Imagine your better half peering down those shafts and discovering the fauna living there and giving you more grief. I am sure you have your bases covered on this, but cant help being curious)!

Sorry, I am a complete noob on this, but sometimes practicality takes my judgement over!

@tantony
Yes, the thicker baffle did it. The inner portion of the baffle is also padded with sound dampeners. I had kept the option of bitumen pads as a last resort. I didn't find it necessary though.

>vj@hifi
Yes, you can have a back firing cab. It would be a typical TQWT design with the port near the bottom. But then the positioning of the speakers becomes very critical. The bass is not deep enough. The top firing model has stronger mid range and the you can play around with the bass based on how much stuffing you use.
Personally, I cover the top vents whenever I am not listening.

Peace
Jetlag

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back