My First DIY Power Amplifier Build- Jean Hiraga lemonstre

hifiramr

Hi all I like to post my First DIY power amplifier build for my Nelson Pass B1 pre.After building my B1 I decided to go for a power amplifier which is simple and clean so I selected Jean Hiraga.The real inspiration was from Bibin's Hiraga post on our forum.

For this project also I like to thank below Users

1. DAN (Outside Hifivision) from diyaudioprojects.com - He helped me from the beginning to end cleared every doubt and provided me tips and tricks with his experience.
2. Bibin- Cabinet and its Kits its Bibin really awesome looking cabinet easy to mound PCB and all other components.
3. Omishra - Important tips I always PM him may be his inbox full of my mails :eek:
4. Katiwar
5. diesel engine
6. rbalu

The main KIT is from jims audio ebay power supply toroidal from Torotrans and all main caps from Alcon.

Soft Start and speaker protection from theaudiocrafts

Sound Signature

Pure clean sound with very good bass 15W its really a monster

I am attaching my build pictures below

Last edited:
Congratulations Ratheesh!!..

the pictures uploaded are appearing too small.. you may want to consider uploading some more :)

Also write something about the complete chain including speakers..

Congratulations Ratheesh!!..

the pictures uploaded are appearing too small.. you may want to consider uploading some more :)

Also write something about the complete chain including speakers..

Please click on the images another page with full size image will be opened.Will post complete setup picture once I arrange all in better way.Now its in temp setup.
The speakers are sonus faber concertino 86db

Wow!

Where is transformer?
I can't find it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you please give cost breakups? Is it Class A or AB? Which IC/Transistor?

Thanks,

Its true class A amplifier based on Jean hiraga 8w Le Monstre with new available power transistor so we can get output upto 15w.Cost will be between 25 to 30k.But if you do first diy then there will be additional cost of buying multimeter driller etc,also there will be burning caps or transistors if we are lucky ;) happened to me also. The power supply part is very costly than the PCB part because of class A operation.

Finally awesome experience and it sound so beautiful really worth it.:)

Nice build Ratheesh. Wattage depends upon transformer and Power supply in Le monstre IMO.Which transistors did you use?What is he transformer ratings.

Regards,
Sachin

Nice build Ratheesh. Wattage depends upon transformer and Power supply in Le monstre IMO.Which transistors did you use?What is he transformer ratings.

Regards,
Sachin
I have used same kit from jims audio 15W class A.
12v dual out with 10A current

Congratulations Ratheesh. Thank you for your kind words.
So finally it's playing.
@sachin: this version has more wattage because it runs on 18V dual supply. Stock Le Monstre runs on 12-13.5V, but circuit is same.
@Ratheesh: rather than twisted pair wire, use shielded wire for input signal from RCA to amp boards.

I am also designing PCB and new PS for this. Let us see. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
So finally it's playing.
@sachin: this version has more wattage because it runs on 18V dual supply. Stock Le Monstre runs on 12-13.5V, but circuit is same.

Yes finally its playing thanks for the great support from your side.:yahoo:

So finally it's playing.
@Ratheesh: rather than twisted pair wire, use shielded wire for input signal from RCA to amp boards.

@omisra

Any idea what is the maximum voltage that can be applied to this Amp board? The jims audio sheet supplied has +22v.

I tested my build and its sounding good with a normal 12-0-12,3amp transfo..

Am reluctant to test my Build with another transfo which is 18v-0-18v,5amp and after rectification when i measure its showing about ~26-27V DC ?

@omisra

Any idea what is the maximum voltage that can be applied to this Amp board? The jims audio sheet supplied has +22v.

I tested my build and its sounding good with a normal 12-0-12,3amp transfo..

Am reluctant to test my Build with another transfo which is 18v-0-18v,5amp and after rectification when i measure its showing about ~26-27V DC ?

That limit comes from 2 parts - all caps in PCB, and other is max dissipation of drivers. It's 15W safe limit, comes with 0.6A on approx 18V. To get this you need 15-0 dual secondary and suitable capacitor bank with CRC arrangement.

Though you can apply more voltage, needs big heat sinks to keep devices cool.

Last edited:
Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back