My DIY Altec Lansing A7 - Voice of the Theater

That horn looks huge!

And the L75 looks to be in very fine condition.

Along with the CLD which you're already planning, my personal opinion is that arm change is mandatory.

Wow those look huuuuge! Bet the midrange is more in the room now! The Lenco also looks in superb shape. Hope you decide on a nice vintage arm and cart to match.

Regards

Hi,

Santosh,I am really happy to see the Altec 805's being put to use after being stored away for years. Next up is a pair of Altec 288's and the Hiraga crossover .

@Steven,congratulations on your Altec 605's. :clapping: Welcome to the Altec club.

Regards
Rajiv

I have been listening continously from 7AM this morning (working from home;)) to various genres and I am really loving these 805 horns. The scale of the sound is even bigger and more effortless than before. Contrary to my fear, I have not lost HF detail and extension. Not sure if this will change when I cross lower. Thanks to the multi-cellular horns, I can enjoy the music with imaging et all no matter where I sit in the room (as long as I am in front of the speakers). I must add that Rajiv had also tweaked the horn by damping it with sawdust, so the horn is quite inert and doesn't ring at certain frequencies like a few instances that I had read.

So what I had planned worked atleast to the extent I have implemented :yahoo:!!! Read on...

Like I had mentioned earlier on this thread, I have followed many of the tweaks mentioned for the Altec in the Soundpractices article. Below are some excerpts from the article just to relate to why I am doing what I am doing.

The rationale for going in for the bigger horns....

Whether you use passive or active crossovers, stay at 500 Hz and employ a relatively long horn with a low cutoff frequency for best performance and sound. The 1" drivers will fit the larger sectorals, multicells, and CDs via throat adapters from Altec. A long horn with a low cutoff will provide more effective throat loading in the crossover region than the stock 511 horn.

....why the 1 inch driver
If you like to hear information above 10-12 kHz, opt for the 1" drivers over the 1.4" units. No contest here - tics on 802s sound like pops on 288s; leading edge attacks are razor sharp on 802s, softened on 288s. The 21216 adapter is a current Altec part which will allow the use of 1" drivers on horns designed for 1.4" drivers.
Actually, I don't entirely agree with the author ^ especially the parts I have high-lighted. The 288s are fantastic drivers and I have heard them in two different setups with different horns (Rajiv's with the Tractrix horns and another with 511 horns in Singapore). Except from the fact that they roll off rapidly after 12k, they are unbeatable especially for mid-range performance. Anyways, I did not have a choice... I found a pristine & matched pair of 802-8gs which are very good too - it is arguably the best Altec small format driver made. I am yet to find a pair of 288s that I can afford.... still looking.

We prefer 416 type woofers in the A7 for the best overall performance in a Hi-Fi application. Use the 515 for low frequency augmentation.
Again, I got the 416s first so went with it. I now have a pair of 515s as well and hope to do a swap one day after re-furbing the 515s.

Last edited:
Hi,

Santosh,I am really happy to see the Altec 805's being put to use after being stored away for years. Next up is a pair of Altec 288's and the Hiraga crossover .

@Steven,congratulations on your Altec 605's. :clapping: Welcome to the Altec club.

Regards
Rajiv

Rajiv! I am surrendering to you to help me get into the Altec Club!

That horn looks huge!
Yes Joshua, the sound that they create is also quite big and very dynamic.
And the L75 looks to be in very fine condition.

Along with the CLD which you're already planning, my personal opinion is that arm change is mandatory.

I plan to have two arms in the long run - a 9/10 incher and a 12 incher. The 12 incher would be outboard pod while the 9/10 incher will be on the plinth(changeable armboard perhaps). I am seriously deciding between a new Scheu Classic 12" MK2 from Jochen and an Origin Live Silver like yours (have been following your thread(s) :)) currently available in Singapore which if I buy...I can get back on my official trip later this week. As for the cart, I am tending towards a DL103 Pro or a SPU (finances permitting). So many things to spend on :eek:, will do it in a phased approach...get there slowly :).

Hi,

Regards
Rajiv

Thanks Rajiv! Owe it to you, Santhosh and Anil. You started me off, then listening to Santhosh's and Anil's system helped. Though I'll probably be the small baby of the big horn club with Santhosh the biggest granddaddy after his new installation hehe :) Lot of reading up to do now...

Regards

Wow those look huuuuge! Bet the midrange is more in the room now! The Lenco also looks in superb shape. Hope you decide on a nice vintage arm and cart to match.

Regards
Spot on Steven, midrange has improved largely without sacrificing the HF.

Rajiv! I am surrendering to you to help me get into the Altec Club!
We'll all keep our eyes and ears open for you mate.

Hi,

Enjoy the journey. The journey is more fun than the destination. (if we ever get there).

Regards
Rajiv

Very true Rajiv. It is a never ending journey and the Altec project is an ongoing one. I am enjoying every bit of it :)

Thanks Rajiv! Owe it to you, Santhosh and Anil. You started me off, then listening to Santhosh's and Anil's system helped. Though I'll probably be the small baby of the big horn club with Santhosh the biggest granddaddy after his new installation hehe :) Lot of reading up to do now...

Regards

Steven,

Thanks. We might have Altecs, but you and Rajiv have the rare Altec 605s!

Cheers.

Hi,

We might have Altecs, but you and Rajiv have the rare Altec 605s!

Some picture of the Altec 605's. Most of the Beatles recordings were done with the Altec 605 speakers.

The crossovers are based on Jeff Markwart's design.The inductors are air gaped CRGO EI core. Right now using CTR capacitors and ordinary resistors. Have to order the PIO capacitors and Mills non indictive resistors.

Regards
Rajiv

Last edited:
Last weekend I was listening to the "voice of theatre" at Santhosh's place. This was my second exposure to Altec sound. The speciality of these speakers is a sound which I would call "simple". No fireworks, no special soundstage, no earth shaking bass, just music presented with a presence that imitates a direct microphone feed instead of recorded music. Of course it is not as detailed as live music or as energetic, one could say signal has lost some strength and fidelity due to inferior quality of microphones, cables and electronics, nevertheless it still feels nearly as palpable as listening to a direct microphone feed.

Not exactly for someone who is high on consumption of transparency, resolution and soundstage. If it would have done that then it could not sound "simple";). Its speciality is a very open and macro dynamically correct throw of music. In this area there is very little left to imagination. One realises what exactly "compression" means after listening to these variety of Altecs. I personally also realized that electronic amplification, no matter how many thousands of watts one has at hand may not be the path to accurately reproduce real world dynamics. It has to happen more naturally, in this case it was those big efficient drivers and acoustic amplification through horns.

I have heard some other horn speakers (various models of Avante Garde, some DIY stuffs, even Tannoys are partially horn based), what sets the Altecs apart is its ability to present full range sound within 1 - 2 watts. Most of the other horn speakers I have heard needs more power. The Avante Garde has a separate bass unit which is active. All these additional tweaks somehow do not enable the full range of sound to occur within 1 watt. That is enough to put them back in the category of "normal" speakers.

The first watt concept is quite well known to the audiophile community (I do not know how many truly understand it though from the sonic perspective). I am realizing its potential steadily, however I am not from the camp who believe in living with whatever is possible with 1 watt, I would want everything within 1 watt (if that is possible).

I am very happy to hear these speakers and now I know what else is possible from a simple loudspeaker. Santhosh is a great guy, I am sure he would love to have you over for a listen, please do not miss it.

Last edited:
Oh yea! Santosh is a great guy and he has done a wonderful job with his VOTT.

I loved 'em! Though, my kinda sound is extremely detailed and full spectrum with oodles of dynamics! The VOTT were whole different perspective. One I woud not mind having in addition to what i already have... but, then, i don't have the room! One day when I have a whole basement to myself....

Thanks Abhi & Manav for your kind words and listening impressions of my Altec A7s. It was nice to have you over and I appreciate your taking time out on your travel schedule for a listen.

Just to add a bit about the first watt that Abhi has touched upon...

While listening Abhi asked me about the reason for building a system like this? I shared with him the theme behind the build.....that I wanted this to be a fully vintage setup with period gear and that I even had period paraphernalia planned for that listening space. I also mentioned what I had read about the first watt being the most significant watt [see excerpts below] and how I wanted to play within that and how my system was slowly shaping up to do just that. The Altecs are ~104db sensitive and when paired with the Lyrita SET amp running 45 tubes, they comfortabley reach my desired SPL levels of ~85dB at my 14ft listening position with slightly more than half a watt. At 3/4th of a watt, they fill the house and are LOUD. Here are some excerpts that I have quoted on the subject:

Watt's the Deal?

Dick Olsher famously remarked that The first watt is the most important watt. This sentiment has also been expressed by others as Who cares what an amplifier sounds like at 500 watts if it sounds like crap at one watt?
^Source: FIRST WATT

Why is an amplifier's first watt so important? Watts are cheap. Don't wurry, be 'appy. In a very fundamental way, the answer to this innocuous question determines the sound of your speaker. Be that an 87dB or 101dB design, all you're getting past the first watt is a logarithmically smaller and smaller contribution. Nothing past the first amplifier watt will ever remotely approach its initial and whopping output contribution. In fact, the inverse is true. More and more power achieves less and less. A jump from 100 watts to 200 watts accomplishes no more than proceeding from the first to the second watt: a 3dB increase in gain. It's the first watt that gives you the mondo turbo-charged power boost of anywhere between 80 to 110dB depending on your speaker sensitivity. Beyond that, advances are slow, costly and inefficient. This incontrovertible fact is cleverly exploited by high-efficiency loudspeakers. They achieve all of their playback levels from that first watt (or even a fraction thereof as in my case).

Consequently, the dynamic range and sonic flavor -- of how an amp will interact with your speakers (any speakers) -- are all encoded in that puny first-born (but disproportionally powerful) watt. Better make this number-one watt CEO of your company then. Let him personally run all things.
^Source: 6moons audio reviews: FirstWatt F2

I am sure he would love to have you over for a listen, please do not miss it.
Sure, anyone who would like to listen to my system, please feel free to drop by anytime after 2 to 3 weeks as I am currently without an amp. I am awaiting my Lyrita DHT Pre and 2A3 SET amp which in my system takes the Altecs to a whole new level.

Oh yea! Santosh is a great guy and he has done a wonderful job with his VOTT.

I loved 'em! Though, my kinda sound is extremely detailed and full spectrum with oodles of dynamics! The VOTT were whole different perspective. One I woud not mind having in addition to what i already have... but, then, i don't have the room! One day when I have a whole basement to myself....

I understand exactly what you mean. I do not belong to a very different camp either. However, if I think deeper into this whole game, today we are young and energetic, we are ready to explore and manage multiple setups. If and when the day comes when we have to settle down with just one setup and assuming that the Altec style playback is still up our alley, which one would we choose to live with ?

If one is lucky to arrive at a system which is a wholesome combination of both styles, nothing like it but lets keep that scenario aside for the time being and think aloud:rolleyes:

I understand exactly what you mean. I do not belong to a very different camp either. However, if I think deeper into this whole game, today we are young and energetic, we are ready to explore and manage multiple setups. If and when the day comes when we have to settle down with just one setup and assuming that the Altec style playback is still up our alley, which one would we choose to live with ?

If one is lucky to arrive at a system which is a wholesome combination of both styles, nothing like it but lets keep that scenario aside for the time being and think aloud:rolleyes:

Fortunately or unfortunately I am one of those who like both types of sound. The ideal scenario would be to have both types, and tweak the hell out of both. But space is the biggest constraint.

Big Tannoys have eluded me twice but I haven't given up hope. But an Altec that can be happily driven with a flea-watt amp would be the ultimate for me. I have always been fascinated by something that can be driven by a good 2A3, or a 45 or a 300B. I love the effortless way in which these large format drivers present music.

Hi,

Quoting Lynn Olson

Beyond the Ariel - Page 804 - diyAudio

The very different rendition of dynamics and tone color - so vivid and real on the high-efficiency/tube system - and so pallid on the low-efficiency/solid-state system - can completely re-arrange musical priorities. A typical audiophile system with 200~500 watt amps and low-efficiency speakers can leave you enjoying only a handful of ultra-engineered recordings, while a high-efficiency systems with good-quality tube amps (no Audio Research, please) lets you enjoy a far wider gamut of recordings, including 78's and some pretty ropey-sounding LP's and early CD's.

For lack of a better word, audiophiles systems render surfaces, all gloss and reflection, but you don't hear into what you're listening to. High-efficiency combined with good tubes lets hear into things - you can sense textures, and the underlying musical pulse. It's hard to describe, because it's outside the usual audiophile lexicon, but once you hear it, it's unforgettable.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi,

Very intriguing !!

When we say good tube amps, how do you recognize one ? Can a 100 watt push-pull design, with low negative feedback tube amp make a good case ? Or is it mostly the low powered, SET style design that should be considered ?

You recognise a good amp by listening.:) It doesn't matter how it is designed,type of tube,price etc.If it sounds good to you it is good.:)

Like all things in audio amps are a personal preference.

Lynn has his opinions,

I like direct-heated triodes in Class A push-pull, or if cost is a factor, 6L6's in Class A push-pull with a modest amount of feedback. Horns for some reason are utterly ruthless with power amps, while at the same time really kind and gentle with the source recording - antique recordings sound thrilling and real, while the same recording on a low-efficiency speaker with a high-power transistor amp would be unlistenable.

I prefer low power DHT SET amps,and preamps with DHT tubes.:)

Regards
Rajiv

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back