My DIY Sub

crisscross

My DIY Sub (Update- Review and final build pics)

Update: Nov 30: Sorry about the delay, been crazy busy I added a front cover for the driver as well as polyfill lining inside the sub to help with the vibrations, I also added screwed down the top of the sub.

Updated Pics here

Review:
I tried Iron Man, Up and The Dark Knight and I am very very pleased with the sub I never went go over 50% off the max volume and it is loud! windows, doors and keys left in the keyhole all vibrated like crazy and the bass was very clean. Do note, however this is my first sub and I have nothing to benchmark this with.

Anyway after all the sweat and toil i am quite satisfied with it planning to build couple of floor standing speakers and a center next.

Hey Guys.

Pics of my first DIY Sub build here
Specs
Dayton Titanic 12" MK III
Oaudio Bash Amp 300 watts
It's a ported build
My brother and I built the box. Need to add stuffing will decide on finishing later.

Thanks to George, Prasad, Sumit, Sajith (and of course Mike from HomeTheaterShack who was extremely helpful) for your advice and tips. (I know it sounds like an oscar acceptance speech so will stop. :) cheers guys.

Let me know what you guys think Subwoofer Build - a set on Flickr

Last edited:
Hey Guys.

Specs
It's a ported build
My brother and I built the box. Need to add stuffing will decide on finishing later.

Thanks to George, Prasad, Sumit, Sajith (and of course Mike from HomeTheaterShack who was extremely helpful) for your advice and tips. (I know it sounds like an oscar acceptance speech so will stop. :) cheers guys.

congrats. good show man.. reviews?

Hey Guys.

Specs
It's a ported build

awesome job bro

what's teh total cost of it

Crisscross, Swell job there! And its sweeter coz its your sweat and blood.
:D
Could you please post details of where you sourced the driver and amp from?
How much it costs?
Where did you the source the plan? what wood was used?:Dsorry lot of questions

Driver and Amp were both sourced from the US. My bro got it with him on his last trip.
Driver+ Amp cost $300.
Port was also sourced from Parts Express another $14
8x4 MDF- Rs.1200 (18mm)
Screws Rs. 200 :)
Getting the wood pieces cut Rs.400

That's about it really. I didn't get the plans from anywhere just used winisd and some help from guys at Home theater shack to model it.

The sub is huge! I had no idea it was going to be this big. I did a couple of dry runs and the box vibrates like crazy ditto with windows. (This was with the top held down by hand) I will do some proper runs once I get the stuffing done and the top screwed down.

Dimensions of the box

21.8" depth, 14.4" width, 21.4" height.

Driver and Amp were both sourced from the US. My bro got it with him on his last trip.
Driver+ Amp cost $300.
8x4 MDF- Rs.1200 (18mm)

That's about it really. I didn't get the plans from anywhere just used winisd and some help from guys at Home theater shack to model it.

The sub is huge! I had no idea it was going to be this big. I did a couple of dry runs and the box vibrates like crazy ditto with windows. (This was with the top held down by hand) I will do some proper runs once I get the stuffing done and the top screwed down.

Dimensions of the box

21.8" depth, 14.4" width, 21.4" height.

nice price and looking forward for your review on proper setup
my friend sajith also help me out in making my diy sub but not now but in near future so please give us proper review on your diy sub so i can make up my mind ;)

Hey Guys.

Specs
It's a ported build

absolutely SUPERB - master-craftsman standard!

Lucky guy u are !
looks very good ... veneering or glossy finish u can do...
waiting for reviews.

Driver+ Amp cost $300.
8x4 MDF- Rs.1200 (18mm)
QUOTE]

This is indeed a very good price. The vibrating issue might well come down with proper screwing and stuffing.

Looking awesome, Arun. Great job. Let us know the
listening impression once it's stuffed and all done.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I did another run yesterday after filling about 1 kg of polyfill. Sounds great bass is nice and punch and even at half the max volume very very powerful.

Vibrations are an issue and am thinking of adding some bracing before I screw/glue in the top. Will keep you guys posted.

Cheers

Arun

Great Job CrissCross!!

Some questions -
1. What technique did you use for wood joining? How did you hold them in place while the glue was drying over many hours?
2. What are those daisy shaped screws? How did you insert them?
3. How did you attach the stuffing to the insides so it does not move? Is that a home made stitch job or a readymade one?
4. What DIY design did you use? what is the crossover type? What are the parts for the rear connection (weblink)?

Regards

Great Job CrissCross!!

Some questions -
1. What technique did you use for wood joining? How did you hold them in place while the glue was drying over many hours?
2. What are those daisy shaped screws? How did you insert them?
3. How did you attach the stuffing to the insides so it does not move? Is that a home made stitch job or a readymade one?
4. What DIY design did you use? what is the crossover type? What are the parts for the rear connection (weblink)?

Regards

1. Glue and then screws
2. Are you talking about the t-nuts? hammered them in
3. Home made stitch job did it myself i didn't do anything to attach as it fits snugly
4. No design, modeled it using winisd and help from forum members on other sites. Amp used O Audio - 300W BASH Subwoofer Amplifier

Thanks. So you simply glued them and left them standing without support? How do make sure it is airtight and the alignment does not vary by a few mm when left alone to dry?

Cheers

1. Glue and then screws
2. Are you talking about the t-nuts? hammered them in
3. Home made stitch job did it myself i didn't do anything to attach as it fits snugly
4. No design, modeled it using winisd and help from forum members on other sites. Amp used O Audio - 300W BASH Subwoofer Amplifier

What kind of glue have you used? (any specific brand? availability?)

Thanks. So you simply glued them and left them standing without support? How do make sure it is airtight and the alignment does not vary by a few mm when left alone to dry?

Cheers

that's why i said glue and then screws :)
here is what i did applied the glue and right after that, i drilled the holes for the screws and added the screws, the screws hold the boards together and allowed the glue to set, some people even remove the screws once the board has set but I choose to keep them.

sajith: I used the regular Fevicol, they do have something called the Fevicol wood grip but I couldn't find them in the sizes I need and there was no data on which was better as they are both just mentioned as PVA glues.

Last edited:
Back