My DIY Telescope....

Wow!

and these are not from a DSLR,

What can I say!! Amazing!!!

I need to add a good Telescope now in the list of the toys for my kids , not that I need it but my 2 yrs old may need some lessons on astronomy:D, hopefully the wife will buy the argument;)

Unfotunately I may not have the time and motivation to go the DIY route.

Best Regards,

Danccc

Thanks for the comment danccc, a 4" refractor cannot be a KIDS SCOPE or a TOY scope!!!!! this costs Rs 30,000 in India.

This is a professional grade refractor telescope used by amateurs & professionals all over the globe. I am in to telescope making since 1984. You may find only few of these in India. Amateurs make DIY reflectors (mirror) not refractors (Achromat Lens).

Astronomy can be tought at the age of 6

If you are looking for a scope, check this link Telescope-India | Manufacturer of Telescope-INDIA | Tejraj & Co. | Mumbai

One more link to my scope Telescope Reviews: 4" DIY refractor

Regards,
Anil

International Year of Astronomy - 2009 - IYA2009

Wow!

and these are not from a DSLR,

What can I say!! Amazing!!!

I need to add a good Telescope now in the list of the toys for my kids , not that I need it but my 2 yrs old may need some lessons on astronomy:D, hopefully the wife will buy the argument;)

Unfotunately I may not have the time and motivation to go the DIY route.

Best Regards,

Danccc

Thanks for the comment danccc, a 4" refractor cannot be a KIDS SCOPE or a TOY scope!!!!! this costs Rs 30,000 in India.

International Year of Astronomy - 2009 - IYA2009

Apologies,

There was pun intended in my remark regarding the toy which involved convincing my wife to get an "educational aid" or toy for our lil' kid, the actual intented use is of course for the dad to fulfil the childhood dreams and fantasies, (Im sure many of us share the desire to look at the Saturn's ring, the craters of the moon in detail on our own scope from our own rooftop). Managed to get craters of the moon from my DSLR with a tele.

Im reasoably aware of the complexity and options involved and have been ogling at the Tejraj catalogue and would always window shop for Meades during my stint in the US.

Would certainly look to your advise for my planned acquisition in the next few months time.

Cheers and enjoy,

Danccc

Last edited:
Anil,

A big congratulations on the telescope and Floorstanders project. I can fully understand the sense of achievement once the job gets done especially successfully.

I can say you are very gifted and hopefully work with youngsters for them to get into DIY stuff themselves.

I dab into a DIY projects myself and it is all for a reason to calm down from the pressures of work and feel that feeling of success.

Excellent job. What would be your next project?

If you need AV related suggestions and have extra room in your house let me know. I know of a real cool project that I am planning to embark in Sept/Oct of 2009 myself after saving some money.

Could I hassle you to reveal what it is? :cool:

Absolutely, I am looking at potentially one of 2 things....

DIY sub - I am getting some parts from my friend in the states. This should be a fun project as I want ti to go down to 16Hz

Building a dedicated HT room from a bare room that is sound treated, along with pull down screen, lighting etc. I will post some pictures in a bit as to how some of them look (not mine though)

Thanks marsilians, Steadycam for my DV camcorder is my next DIY project :) Trekking season has already started, hoping to complete the project by this month end.

A steadicam is a stabilizing mount for a motion picture camera, which mechanically isolates the operator's movement from the camera, allowing a very smooth shot even when the operator is moving quickly over an uneven surface. The camera operator may walk (or even jog), move through tight hallways and doorways, and even climb up and down stairs, allowing a very smooth shot.

As Telescope making activity is a part of International Year of Astronomy 2009, interested folks can make use of the oppertunity here in Bengaluru.

Anyway all the best for your DIY sub project.

Regards,
Anil

Anil,

A big congratulations on the telescope and Floorstanders project. I can fully understand the sense of achievement once the job gets done especially successfully.

I can say you are very gifted and hopefully work with youngsters for them to get into DIY stuff themselves.

I dab into a DIY projects myself and it is all for a reason to calm down from the pressures of work and feel that feeling of success.

Excellent job. What would be your next project?

If you need AV related suggestions and have extra room in your house let me know. I know of a real cool project that I am planning to embark in Sept/Oct of 2009 myself after saving some money.

Last edited:
Hi Anil,

Congratulations!!! Great looking telescope. I'm amazed at your dedication level. I wish I had that. I always wanted to get one for myself when I was working abroad. After looking at the pictures of the moon you've attached I'm tempted to get one for my kid. Great work!!!

SilentSound.

Few daylight shots.........

005_Lo.jpg

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back