My DIY transmission line mini towers with peerless india drivers

Kannan_madhu

Hello Bros ,
Here is my third DIY speaker project after very successful build of a 20 or 30 rupee speaker driver in a cardboard box in 1994 and putting a bolten woofer and some unknown tweeter in a ready made speaker box. Which i never played as i dint have an amplifier and the tape deck at home was not working. That sat there for some years and became food for termites. The bug bite me again in 2011 and after lots of searches i bought two drivers peerless m13 NH midwoofers , t25an tweeters. In between did couple of amplifiers which i could successfully explode . After lots of reading of websites, asking experts for their opinions and spending a long time in research i found that you cannot simply build a speaker by using some on line calculators .You have to simulate them , measure them, bulid them again measure them again make adjustments and this put off me from building it . And thous those drivers ended up in the store room to become some kind of exotic food for termites . Many years passed and recently while cleaning i found that its still there and the termites never snacked upon them. So i thought experts ko maro goli Chalo ek speaker banaye , maximum i am going to loose is money spend on building the cabinet .So i made a TL design following a online calculator . And one of my friends introduced me to Albin who makes PA systems and assembles amplifiers, he made the box as per the specifications . The main thing which kept me from building the speakers earlier was the design of crossovers which was tough and availability of components were scarce at that time . I found a site called 8audio who had electronic crossovers and amp modules. I bought two stereo boards based on LM 1875 and a crossover. Albin made the case and transformers for me and finally my speakers are ready, connected and singing . I cannot comment on the audio quality as its my own creation and i dont have much experience with good stereo amplifiers and speakers to make a comparison. Any body want to listen can come to my home at Thrissur, check out the DIY speakers and enjoy my DIY kattan chaya or kappi and properly designed biscuits from well known companies :p .

My suggestion to all DIY bros is that never wait for doing the perfect design or wait for proper tools like mike or measurements rigs. You are never going to make one if you wait to make it perfect . You may not end up with the perfect speaker but certainly you will learn and you can make improvements in future.

The Price of a DIY is the smile when the project is completed. And i see you have done it with limited sources so congrats to you for completing ur project. some photos of your TL would be good.

The Price of a DIY is the smile when the project is completed. And i see you have done it with limited sources so congrats to you for completing ur project. some photos of your TL would be good.
Thanks Sadik , indeed it's the smile and the happiness which is the real price . Sorry I forgot to post the pics 20180903_124247-01-1008x756.jpeg20180903_124338-1008x756.jpg20180903_124344-1008x756.jpg

Thanks all for the encouragement, credit goes to the carpenter who did a good finish .

Here is the pic of the active amps am using 20180903_124354-800x600.jpg
It's a chip amp based on lm1875 and active cross over which was crossed at 2k .All pre assembled boards from 8 audio. My friend Albin did the assembly for me and he had done a good job .
At 2k cross it was sounding bit harsh so I turned the cap pots on cross a lot . I don't have any idea what would be the current xover frequency .

Last edited:
Thanks all for the encouragement, credit goes to the carpenter who did a good finish .

Here is the pic of the active amps am using View attachment 30101
It's a chip amp based on lm1875 and active cross over which was crossed at 2k .All pre assembled boards from 8 audio. My friend Albin did the assembly for me and he had done a good job .
At 2k cross it was sounding bit harsh so I turned the cap pots on cross a lot . I don't have any idea what would be the current xover frequency .
I had made a similar setup couple of years back (if not more!). Let me check my notes on the xover frq. If I remember correctly it's around 4k.

I had made a similar setup couple of years back (if not more!). Let me check my notes on the xover frq. If I remember correctly it's around 4k.
After adjusting it's sounding good but I don't have any idea what the current crossover frequency and I don't have any measurements equipment , i will try req with some mike , may be running each driver separately any other solutions to find the cross
Is here any members from thrissur who can lend me a measurement mic ?

Top side port is innovative! When the (listening room) wall & floor reflection is eliminated , the sound will be Superb!

Fantastic work!

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back