My expenses for a 7.2 setup - justified or not?

I am sure according to HFV standards, this is a good price.
I don't believe there are any such HFV standards that qualifies as a good price. Will be unfortunate if there is.

You buy what you can afford and you need to draw the line. Going on a spend thrift is based on YOU and nobody else here. To be clear, this isn't some competition of who spent the most and on what. Just because you found something cheap does not mean you MUST buy it. Evaluate what you have and if you have any use for it. What does your equipment not do that this new piece of equipment will. How much money are you going to loose selling a certain piece of gear. Off course, this isn't some hard and fast rule. Some like collecting equipment, which is fine.

eg: Because my receiver can be wired for 9.2 channels does not mean I need to wire 9.2 channels, for the sake of posting it here.

Being honest, I think two HT setup's under one roof sounds a bit excess, to me. Then again, your demands are different from mine and others here.

Our ten year old shares the TV and HT with us. When kiddo wants their own HT set up, they will learn to save and buy it, with some financial assistance from the parent. Daddy already paid for the xbox S and pays for the subscription each month. I think thats plenty to start with.

I don't believe there are any such HFV standards that qualifies as a good price. Will be unfortunate if there is.

You buy what you can afford and you need to draw the line. Going on a spend thrift is based on YOU and nobody else here. To be clear, this isn't some competition of who spent the most and on what. Just because you found something cheap does not mean you MUST buy it. Evaluate what you have and if you have any use for it. What does your equipment not do that this new piece of equipment will. How much money are you going to loose selling a certain piece of gear. Off course, this isn't some hard and fast rule. Some like collecting equipment, which is fine.

eg: Because my receiver can be wired for 9.2 channels does not mean I need to wire 9.2 channels, for the sake of posting it here.

Being honest, I think two HT setup's under one roof sounds a bit excess, to me. Then again, your demands are different from mine and others here.

Our ten year old shares the TV and HT with us. When kiddo wants their own HT set up, they will learn to save and buy it, with some financial assistance from the parent. Daddy already paid for the xbox S and pays for the subscription each month. I think thats plenty to start with.
You have just said some points that haunted my conscience. My house has a guest portion where relatives can stay from time to time. I had set the first HT there which is also a gaming hub for the boys. That one has the Pioneer 817 with optical out. Tbh, the second HT in my room is a luxury and I should have taken some time. I was thinking of just a 5.1 setup but since receivers are costly these days, i would have ended up spending as much for a 5.1 itself. I got a denon 2700h with 5 months warranty left plus a pair of onkyo satellites for the price of a say Denon 660h and on a clearance sale got dual sub woofers for the price of one. So went ahead and pulled the trigger. One thing is I was to go on a vacation this summer with my family which now is cancelled due to this expenditure. My kids are twins and they already share joy stick and on top of it, they were using my room TV for playing games and I really wanted them to have their own zone. Exclusive to them. We win some, we lose some I guess in life.

1)Avr 2700+heights sattelite onkyo=65k(5 months of warranty left with AVR)
2) clearance sale subs=39k (sonodyne dual sub)
3) 2 pairs of micca 0o0 plus one single center piece Rs.29000
4) ups Rs.5000 approx
5) wiring and cable Rs2400

All coming to a little less than Rs.141000. With ATMOS setup. I am sure according to HFV standards, this is a good price. My other 7.2 cost me 1.11 with a second hand 13 year old Pioneer AVR which can't upmix ATMOS but good enough to watch movies with good sound effects. Grand total of 2.5 lakhs. This forum gave me the idea of second hand AVR, Clearance sale sub-woofers (l4S fmer especially), inexpensive Micca 0o0 speakers and gave me confidence to do some cabling myself. The other good part about this forum is they taught me how to DIY a few things so that I save tons of money plus hassles on dependence of technicians.

I think I would have saved about a lakh and 25k easily. And with my collection of ps4 games discs and BR movie collection of 130 titles, I can safely assume these are tantamount to complementary. The guest lobby 7.2 powered by pioneer is exclusive for my kids to unleash their craving on games. (I stopped watching movies in this setup after the denon 2700 sound stage was set)

But the sad thing is my family thinks these are vestigial luxury money waster! Srilanka and Pakistan reels with economic problems and I am spending lavishly according to them. Kindly comment to help me understand in tech-saavy zeitgeist, if I am right or wrong?
till you have money your brain play with your emotions to upgrade more and more and you won't be satisfied with

Maybe after a few months of frugal economics I could do that.
Not necessary to wait for few months and you will regret later you have missed the earlier months, just start with one or two panel every week end as DIY with the minimum resource available.. You will start feeling the difference and it will lead to complete the other panels in quicker point of time. I have done paneling in my "Living Room/Hall" without affecting any aesthetic look neither moving space with my A5 sitting in the corner. My feeling is living room look pretty big in eyes once paneling work done neatly. Plus it is only a 10feet with living hall not a luxurious big living hall.

Living room.jpeg

Last edited:
Not necessary to wait for few months and you will regret later you have missed the earlier months, just start with one or two panel every week end as DIY with the minimum resource available.. You will start feeling the difference and it will lead to complete the other panels in quicker point of time. I have done paneling in my "Living Room/Hall" without affecting any aesthetic look neither moving space with my A5 sitting in the corner. My feeling is living room look pretty big in eyes once paneling work done neatly. Plus it is only a 10feet with living hall not a luxurious big living hall.

View attachment 68646
@srinisundar The panelling looks very neat and pleasing to the eye. Which dehumidifier are you using.

The above post of mine was half posted by mistake ;) this is what I wanted to express:

This is a hobby and I have been watching people buy gear based on the power of their wallet. I have Marantz pm5005 and I'm not interested in upgrading but if I get surplus/good money... I'm sure and I can't resist myself buying another high grade amp ( doesn't necessarily it would be genuinely a good stuff but my brain start tickling...bro! it's new and hefty priced, this must be good ) might be new or a used one.

I think when you come to this hobby, it feels so good. You love your gear. But after a few days/months/years ( time depends upon your wallet power ) you start thinking of getting something bigger ( doesn't necessarily better but expensive ) and spend more on this.

"is hobby me aana to aasan hai par yahan se nikalna bohot mushkil" ( just like Don says to his subordinates ) and it's true. I don't want to remember how much I've spent on DACs :( and I'm never satisfied. I hate myself for that.
Doesn't matter how much resolving one's ears are ( may be not, we all have normal ears in general, not possible to perceive beyond 12khz fir 20khz to door ki baat hai ) their brain start tricking and your search for better after better ( that's what you think ) but there's no limit of betterness and company's sales team know it much better than what we think is better to our ears.

I have been using Polk rti a3 for my stereo, I love them so much and it could be a stop point for me .. like now I'm good. But greed dimag pe havi hai...I want Legend series...though I'm not able to buy it :D So, this hobby is a nearly a money game than the ear game...why PPL selling their a year or less old stuff and want to upgrade, because they found something xiting which they think is better than what they have currently. Now it's not a bad thing, it's their money afterall. But I feel jealous lol ;)

Nothing is expensive in this world, it is just our low and high purchasing power that makes thing expensive and inexpensive ( not including food, vegetables, petrol here...these are essential category and can be considered as expensive )

Conclusively, if you are buying go ahead and keep the budget in your mind. Obviously, you will go something higher in a few months or year in search of Nirvana...like you want something which gives you a pure ecstasy of sound like singers, musicians and all the instruments singing and playing around you, like you make them your slave :D ...

Even some Indian brands selling their stuff in the premium hefty price, I can understand Harbeth, polks, warfedale, Klipsch, kef etc have an import duty cost includes and so priced high.
Now the Indian brand got to know the audiophile psychology, they know you can spend whatever it takes...to 100 bechne se achha hai 10 bech ke paisa vasool kar lo..shark tank dekhne ke baad ab itni akal to aa gayi hai bhai.

I really like pricing of Norge Audio. One day I sell my Marantz and will buy Norge pre and power setup.. keeping my polks though.

PS: Price to usage ratio is very minimal, you sell not because you bored...you sell because you got to know ... it's lying as it is with no use. See the sale threads...most of the reasons :D Thankyou for reading.

Sorry if someone's sentiment hurts, I want to scream loud aur kuch kaam nahi tha and so posted here.

The above post of mine was half posted by mistake ;) this is what I wanted to express:

This is a hobby and I have been watching people buy gear based on the power of their wallet. I have Marantz pm5005 and I'm not interested in upgrading but if I get surplus/good money... I'm sure and I can't resist myself buying another high grade amp ( doesn't necessarily it would be genuinely a good stuff but my brain start tickling...bro! it's new and hefty priced, this must be good ) might be new or a used one.

I think when you come to this hobby, it feels so good. You love your gear. But after a few days/months/years ( time depends upon your wallet power ) you start thinking of getting something bigger ( doesn't necessarily better but expensive ) and spend more on this.

"is hobby me aana to aasan hai par yahan se nikalna bohot mushkil" ( just like Don says to his subordinates ) and it's true. I don't want to remember how much I've spent on DACs :( and I'm never satisfied. I hate myself for that.
Doesn't matter how much resolving one's ears are ( may be not, we all have normal ears in general, not possible to perceive beyond 12khz fir 20khz to door ki baat hai ) their brain start tricking and your search for better after better ( that's what you think ) but there's no limit of betterness and company's sales team know it much better than what we think is better to our ears.

I have been using Polk rti a3 for my stereo, I love them so much and it could be a stop point for me .. like now I'm good. But greed dimag pe havi hai...I want Legend series...though I'm not able to buy it :D So, this hobby is a nearly a money game than the ear game...why PPL selling their a year or less old stuff and want to upgrade, because they found something xiting which they think is better than what they have currently. Now it's not a bad thing, it's their money afterall. But I feel jealous lol ;)

Nothing is expensive in this world, it is just our low and high purchasing power that makes thing expensive and inexpensive ( not including food, vegetables, petrol here...these are essential category and can be considered as expensive )

Conclusively, if you are buying go ahead and keep the budget in your mind. Obviously, you will go something higher in a few months or year in search of Nirvana...like you want something which gives you a pure ecstasy of sound like singers, musicians and all the instruments singing and playing around you, like you make them your slave :D ...

Even some Indian brands selling their stuff in the premium hefty price, I can understand Harbeth, polks, warfedale, Klipsch, kef etc have an import duty cost includes and so priced high.
Now the Indian brand got to know the audiophile psychology, they know you can spend whatever it takes...to 100 bechne se achha hai 10 bech ke paisa vasool kar lo..shark tank dekhne ke baad ab itni akal to aa gayi hai bhai.

I really like pricing of Norge Audio. One day I sell my Marantz and will buy Norge pre and power setup.. keeping my polks though.

PS: Price to usage ratio is very minimal, you sell not because you bored...you sell because you got to know ... it's lying as it is with no use. See the sale threads...most of the reasons :D Thankyou for reading.

Sorry if someone's sentiment hurts, I want to scream loud aur kuch kaam nahi tha and so posted here.
Well narrated Dinesh. In 2020 March I had just a 65 Inch Sony LCD TV as a luxury priced possession. Now I have jumped into a never ending bottomless bucket and a rabbit hole.

Just a piece to add...

if panelling was done, just a 5K speaker will sound as 25k speaker... Typically some ratio plus or minus can be put for other speakers. Phenomenal performance can be heard in the room once the echo were eliminated first in the room.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back