My Experience with Epson EH-TW9400 / Pro Cinema 6050UB

user73

I didn't plan to review Epson 9400 but someone who suggested this Projector and asked me to do review of it so this is least i can do @Silencer .Since this is my first PJ so I won't be able to compare with any but just my own movie experience i have with HTPC.But it's comparison has already been done with many other PJs and it is said it to be best in this price range.It is mostly compared with Sony's or JVC's which are way too expensive.
It's been a while since PJ is installed but as i am using it with HTPC so configuration still goes on as there are so many options one can change and improve esp if it is used with Potplayer and Madvr.
OK it is big....but i don't really mind as room is big enough and if it projects sharp crisp images then i don't mind at all ;).
IMG_0109 (1).jpeg
IMG_0131.JPEG

So after i finalised that im going to buy 9400 ,i was not actually much excited rather worried what if things don't go well as it is going to be installed in a bedroom not dedicated theatre room.First problem was that center speaker can't be moved neither above or below the screen so i had to buy perforated screen.
this is screen photo.100 inch 1.0 gain.
IMG_0161.jpg
With High speed mode fan noise could be troubling for some if installed close to seating position but for me its 3-4 feet behind my seating position and also while watching movies when volume is loud i didn't notice any fan noise.

After installation is done and i was scrolling in the menus what i noticed is that 4k enhancement and frame interpolation is greyed out.It did worried me at that time that i won't be able to enjoy 4k enhancement feature but later i found out that it is meant, if signal received by epson are not 4k.Since i already have 4k monitor so PC's resolution is 4k and Denon x3600 also delivers 4k output so i don't need that 4k enhancement.

I don't know if other PJ's have this feature or not but 9400 do have 10 memory slots to save for picture presets and 10 slots for lens position and instant 2 buttons on remote for lens memory are also very useful. A touch of a button takes you from HDTV 16:9 shape to your wide screen movie aspect ratio ie. 2.35:1.

It do took me lot of time to configure the right colors.I did some calibrations from settings shared by some users of 9400 and colors are better now.
Now coming to picture quality i have shared few pics below but i must say no camera can capture what we actually sees ourself.I am satisfied with colors specially black levels.I thought they will be more effective in HDR but i like black levels in SDR too.Below is pic of SDR file from movie
The High Note and i could clearly distinguish blacks of dress and background.But these pics won't do just as it's iphone 7 camera and it will adjust exposure by itself.Contrast on her face looks too bright but in real colors looks so real.IMG_0167.JPEG

IMG_0166.JPEG

stills from Sicario HDR.
IMG_0151.JPEG

IMG_0152.JPEG

Oldies Don Juan DeMarco 1994
IMG_0142.JPEG

L'Été meurtrier 1983
IMG_0140.JPEG
And few more random shots.

IMG_0158.JPEGIMG_0145.JPEGIMG_0147.JPEGIMG_0153.JPEGIMG_0154.JPEGIMG_0159.JPEGIMG_0163.JPEGIMG_0164.JPEGIMG_0168.JPEG
IMG_0149.JPEGIMG_0148.JPEG

I agree with what @Silencer said " If you can 'really' stretch, get the 9400. It is a gem.:)

Last edited:
I didn't plan to review Epson 9400 but someone who suggested this Projector and asked me to do review of it so this is least i can do @Silencer .Since this is my first PJ so I won't be able to compare with any but just my own movie experience i have with HTPC.But it's comparison has already been done with many other PJs and it is said it to be best in this price range.It is mostly compared with Sony's or JVC's which are way too expensive.
It's been a while since PJ is installed but as i am using it with HTPC so configuration still goes on as there are so many options one can change and improve esp if it is used with Potplayer and Madvr.
OK it is big....but i don't really mind as room is big enough and if it projects sharp crisp images then i don't mind at all ;).
View attachment 52448
View attachment 52449

So after i finalised that im going to buy 9400 ,i was not actually much excited rather worried what if things don't go well as it is going to be installed in a bedroom not dedicated theatre room.First problem was that center speaker can't be moved neither above or below the screen so i had to buy perforated screen.
View attachment 52445
With High speed mode fan noise could be troubling for some if installed close to seating position but for me its 3-4 feet behind my seating position and also while watching movies when volume is loud i didn't notice any fan noise.

After installation is done and i was scrolling in the menus what i noticed is that 4k enhancement and frame interpolation is greyed out.It did worried me at that time that i won't be able to enjoy 4k enhancement feature but later i found out that it is meant, if signal received by epson are not 4k.Since i already have 4k monitor so PC's resolution is 4k and Denon x3600 also delivers 4k output so i don't need that 4k enhancement.

I don't know if other PJ's have this feature or not but 9400 do have 10 memory slots to save for picture presets and 10 slots for lens position and instant 2 buttons on remote for lens memory are also very useful. A touch of a button takes you from HDTV 16:9 shape to your wide screen movie aspect ratio ie. 2.35:1.

It do took me lot of time to configure the right colors.I did some calibrations from settings shared by some users of 9400 and colors are better now.
Now coming to picture quality i have shared few pics below but i must say no camera can capture what we actually sees ourself.I am satisfied with colors specially black levels.I thought they will be more effective in HDR but i like black levels in SDR too.Below is pic of SDR file from movie
The High Note and i could clearly distinguish blacks of dress and background.But these pics won't do just as it's iphone 7 camera and it will adjust exposure by itself.Contrast on her face looks too bright but in real colors looks so real.View attachment 52446

View attachment 52447

stills from Sicario HDR.
View attachment 52451

View attachment 52452

View attachment 52450

L'Été meurtrier 1983
View attachment 52454

View attachment 52455View attachment 52456View attachment 52457View attachment 52458View attachment 52459View attachment 52460View attachment 52461View attachment 52462View attachment 52463
View attachment 52465View attachment 52466

I agree with what @Silencer said " If you can 'really' stretch, get the 9400. It is a gem.:)
Pictures look razor sharp. Which screen you are using, I mean which brand and whether it is fixed or motorized?
Just wanted to know wether these pictures are during day time with some ambient light or in total darkness during night time.

Inspired by this post, I too tried to find pores on Katrina's skin :) Video Pause shot from Prime Video

1606593715656 (1).jpg

Either she got flawless skin or maybe the fact that my projector+screen combo street price is less than 25K :) This post for those who cannot afford 2 lacs plus for a projector! I watched Zindagi na Milegi dobara on Primevideo and my guess would be that this was 80%+ of PVR quality, based on what I remember from my maiden PVR visit many years back. Shot taken on a ten foot screen

Few shots from Planet Earth II - video pause shots on VLC Player
1606594803292 (1).jpg

1606594561090 (1).jpg1606595220605 (1).jpg

Namma Karnataka....Wild Karnataka trailer..youtube
1606595412161 (1).jpg
1606595483047 (2).jpg

More VLC grabs searching for skin pores!
1606596417286 (1).jpg
1606596256305 (1).jpg
1606596032877 (1).jpg

These photos dont do justice to the projector as the video looks way better.

Last edited:
Just confirmed from the seller...he says screen is 1.1 gain ,as it is perforated so technically it gives results of 1.0 gain.It is woven motorised custom made perforated imported screen fabric.It is not ALR.Room is not dark as you can guess from pic of PJ but there is no ambient light while shots were taken.

Last edited:
Inspired by this post, I too tried to find pores on Katrina's skin :) Video Pause shot from Prime Video

View attachment 52468

Either she got flawless skin or maybe the fact that my projector+screen combo street price is less than 25K :) This post for those who cannot afford 2 lacs plus for a projector! I watched Zindagi na Milegi dobara on Primevideo and my guess would be that this was 80%+ of PVR quality, based on what I remember from my maiden PVR visit many years back. Shot taken on a ten foot screen

View attachment 52469

View attachment 52470View attachment 52472

View attachment 52473
View attachment 52474

View attachment 52475
View attachment 52476
View attachment 52477

I like your colors and stills are good too.Im pretty sure in real they must have looked amazing.
If you want to make them sharper use Madvr.

View attachment 52468

View attachment 52469

View attachment 52473
View attachment 52474

View attachment 52475
View attachment 52476
View attachment 52477

@user73 Thanks for Sharing the Pictures. It's one of the most robust, highly customizable and Accurate Projectors under 2L budget.

Here's a my Very Small Video Sample from Hotstar on DHIVIS ALR Screen....

View attachment 52448
View attachment 52449

View attachment 52445

The High Note and i could clearly distinguish blacks of dress and background.But these pics won't do just as it's iphone 7 camera and it will adjust exposure by itself.Contrast on her face looks too bright but in real colors looks so real.View attachment 52446

View attachment 52447

stills from Sicario HDR.
View attachment 52451

View attachment 52452

View attachment 52450

L'Été meurtrier 1983
View attachment 52454

View attachment 52455View attachment 52456View attachment 52457View attachment 52458View attachment 52459View attachment 52460View attachment 52461View attachment 52462View attachment 52463
View attachment 52465View attachment 52466

Finally you got it.

I am glad that you went with 9400. It is a keeper.

Nice little review. Do update the thread as you progress.We do not have many projector reviews. Especially the 'serious' ones. I suggest taking screenshots using a tripod and dslr. Explore madVR to the fullest. This projector will surprise you it hasn't already.

Colors are good out of the box as expected of Epsons. A calibration won't hurt. Re-watch the classics in full glory especially the ones we missed in theatres.

Enjoy the projector. It will make you smile every time you see an awesome shot. Good luck :)

View attachment 52468

View attachment 52469

View attachment 52473
View attachment 52474

View attachment 52475
View attachment 52476
View attachment 52477

I still prefer MPC for playback. I find them better than VLC. It is a personal choice, but MPC's default renderer is better than VLC's. To my eyes.

Nice shots. The video quality depends on the mastering quality. Some movies are mastered very well. Even their 1080p blurays are sharp 'like' 4K.

'Lucy' is a classic example. Again, if we go on this route, it is a never ending upgrade path. From Projector to Processors, lol.

Last edited:
I totally agree with you @drkrack and @Silencer.
If colors and black levels are not right they do bothers me but with this PJ i am satisfied and don't feel need to upgrade for yrs to come.
I must say i have disabled madvr's image enhancements now also i didn't feel need to increase image enhancements in 9400 either.I am just using it's presets and they are sufficient.Images are already crisp and colours seems perfect.

@Silencer I already have started watching movies that i have watched before.watching on 9400 is whole new experience.

How to download Madvr and make use of it. Please explain
Download from this site
I been using madvr with Potplayer for ages as it is highly customizable.
You can follow this guide to configure madvr

"No other projector comes close at this price"

"nothing else comes close at this price"

"very, very, good, but more to the point, a lot better than most of the similarly priced competition!"

Download from this site
I been using madvr with Potplayer for ages as it is highly customizable.
You can follow this guide to configure madvr
Thanks a lot. I will try this.

Just confirmed from the seller...he says screen is 1.1 gain ,as it is perforated so technically it gives results of 1.0 gain.It is woven motorised custom made perforated imported screen fabric.It is not ALR.Room is not dark as you can guess from pic of PJ but there is no ambient light while shots were taken.
Does the screen is motorised, if so can you send me an link for purchase.. I do have some constraints on speaker positioning and need the acoustically transparent screen.

How does the sound without screen/ with screen? whether it is clear from centre speaker after installation.

@user73 Thanks for Sharing the Pictures. It's one of the most robust, highly customizable and Accurate Projectors under 2L budget.

Here's a my Very Small Video Sample from Hotstar on DHIVIS ALR Screen....

hey!! have you purchased the screen in hyderabad? How is the viewing angle? Does it perform well in daylight? would you recomend taking this over a elite/liberty screen ?

Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing!

By any chance you tried Epson Laser offer LS500 ?? Any idea how it is compared to picture clarity?

Does the screen is motorised, if so can you send me an link for purchase.. I do have some constraints on speaker positioning and need the acoustically transparent screen.

How does the sound without screen/ with screen? whether it is clear from centre speaker after installation.
Yes screen is motorised.I haven't notice almost no difference at all with screen and without screen.
I haven't bought online,so no link..I bought from the seller from whom i bought PJ.I can't opt for fixed screen as center speaker is placed on shelf and below i have LED which is also wall mounted so i have to opt for custom made perforated motorised screen.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back