My Experience with Epson EH-TW9400 / Pro Cinema 6050UB

My New EPSON TW9400:

After 2 years with my XGIMI H2 LED projector, upgraded to TW9400, its purely a blind buy after 5 months of just extensive reviews in forums, blogs and YouTube (Unfortunately, i could not get a demo in Chennai for TW9400).

There are 2 types Dealers for projectors, AV Gear Dealers and Office equipment dealers. The price quoted for this Projector by AV Dealers are insanely higher than office equipment dealers.

When i approached a office equipment dealer in Chennai 5 or 6 months back the price was around 1.75 - 1.78 L and now ,its in the range of 1.83 - 1.87 L and AV dealers are quoting around 2.0 to 2.20 L etc.

Finally settled the deal with a office equipment dealer for 1.85 L + ceiling mount for Rs1800 (I don't want to be hush hush in giving the price..:) just trying to help my fellow enthusiasts)

Promptly the dealer arranged the delivery and installation on 31st Dec 2020. (My new year began with a Movie night).

Installation:

My room size is 10 W X 18.65 L X 9.5 H (with false ceiling), 100 inch ES Fixed Screen and LSP is at 12 feet.

I was confused whether to fix the PJ in the wall behind my LSP ( 18 Feet) or in the ceiling (around 13 to 14 Feet). Thanks a lot @liverpool_for_life @Silencer @user73 for the inputs and i used the Epson projection throw distance calculator to conclude the projection distance at 14 feet.

Dealers suggested fixing in wall with wall mount is not a great idea with this massive weighing PJ (11 KG). So, with heavy heard made a hole in my false ceiling to fix the PJ (Wrath from my wife is different story).

It took 2 to 3 hours the technicians to fix the PJ and first i played some scenes from "Alita" voila... its a massive day night difference compare to my old XGIMI H2 PJ.

And EPSON TW9400 is having lot of options and settings to play around. Yesterday, i have googled for EPSON TW 9400 best calibration settings and found the below link helped a lot in changing the settings for HDR and SDR.

After this settings there is much more improvement in playing the HDR content. All my movie contents are either downloaded or Streaming through Nvidia Shield.

Feel free to contact for any information.

Cheers.

This post is not allowing me to post the pictures.... :(

Last edited:
My New EPSON TW9400:

After 2 years with my XGIMI H2 LED projector, upgraded to TW9400, its purely a blind buy after 5 months of just extensive reviews in forums, blogs and YouTube (Unfortunately, i could not get a demo in Chennai for TW9400).

There are 2 types Dealers for projectors, AV Gear Dealers and Office equipment dealers. The price quoted for this Projector by AV Dealers are insanely higher than office equipment dealers.

When i approached a office equipment dealer in Chennai 5 or 6 months back the price was around 1.75 - 1.78 L and now ,its in the range of 1.83 - 1.87 L and AV dealers are quoting around 2.0 to 2.20 L etc.

Finally settled the deal with a office equipment dealer for 1.85 L + ceiling mount for Rs1800 (I don't want to be hush hush in giving the price..:) just trying to help my fellow enthusiasts)

Promptly the dealer arranged the delivery and installation on 31st Dec 2020. (My new year began with a Movie night).

Installation:

My room size is 10 W X 18.65 L X 9.5 H (with false ceiling), 100 inch ES Fixed Screen and LSP is at 12 feet.

I was confused whether to fix the PJ in the wall behind my LSP ( 18 Feet) or in the ceiling (around 13 to 14 Feet). Thanks a lot @liverpool_for_life @Silencer @user73 for the inputs and i used the Epson projection throw distance calculator to conclude the projection distance at 14 feet.

Dealers suggested fixing in wall with wall mount is not a great idea with this massive weighing PJ (11 KG). So, with heavy heard made a hole in my false ceiling to fix the PJ (Wrath from my wife is different story).

It took 2 to 3 hours the technicians to fix the PJ and first i played some scenes from "Alita" voila... its a massive day night difference compare to my old XGIMI H2 PJ.

And EPSON TW9400 is having lot of options and settings to play around. Yesterday, i have googled for EPSON TW 9400 best calibration settings and found the below link helped a lot in changing the settings for HDR and SDR.

After this settings there is much more improvement in playing the HDR content. All my movie contents are either downloaded or Streaming through Nvidia Shield.

Cheers.

Congratulations on the purchase.
And very good that you are not hush hush on the price. Afterall, many people in this forum are very quick in asking for help when required ( this is what the forum is for, offcourse ) but completely go blind and silent when the purchase is done and when they are asked for the price they got the equipment for. Very Selfish i will say.

Thanks for sharing the review and the price. It helps many to make a decision. Please upload the screen shots to any image hosting sites like imgur and share the link.

Enjoy your projector :)

My New EPSON TW9400:

Installation:

Cheers.

Hey man, i'm also in the same boat, cant decide between benq 5700 and this one. My throw distance is arnd 13ft from screen and seating area arnd 7-8ft from screen. All my content are 4k hdr atmos files to be played using a nvidia shield pro and via denon x2700h. Please share what's your thought on the sharpness since it's not a true 4k projector. It does upto 4m px so im kinda concerned.

Hey man, i'm also in the same boat, cant decide between benq 5700 and this one. My throw distance is arnd 13ft from screen and seating area arnd 7-8ft from screen. All my content are 4k hdr atmos files to be played using a nvidia shield pro and via denon x2700h. Please share what's your thought on the sharpness since it's not a true 4k projector. It does upto 4m px so im kinda concerned.
Even i was confused between Benq 5700 and 9400, finally went with this one purely based on various positive comments, comparison videos and feedback.

Even my source is Shield Pro and through Kodi, Real Debrid streaming source. Past 3 days watched downloaded 4k movies, Netflix HDR and Streaming 4k movies from both downloaded. Its not bad compare to my LG OLED TV (However OLED HDR is the best all the time).

If you want to have the real native 4k then Sony or JVC is the only option, i didn't see the real native in action to provide thoughts. My budget is limited to go for native 4k.

I have uploaded few shots below.

4K HDR downloaded Aquaman

4k HDR downloaded Avengers Endgame

4K HDR downloaded Hobbs and Shaw

TENENT 4k HDR Streaming from RealDebrid

Netflix 4k Planet Earth

My Installation

Last edited:
Even i was confused between Benq 5700 and 9400, finally went with this one purely based on various positive comments, comparison videos and feedback.

Even my source is Shield Pro and through Kodi, Real Debrid streaming source. Past 3 days watched downloaded 4k movies, Netflix HDR and Streaming 4k movies from both downloaded. Its not bad compare to my LG OLED TV (However OLED HDR is the best all the time).

If you want to have the real native 4k then Sony or JVC is the only option, i didn't see the real native in action to provide thoughts. My budget is limited to go for native 4k.

I have uploaded few shots below.

4K HDR downloaded Aquaman

4k HDR downloaded Avengers Endgame

4K HDR downloaded Hobbs and Shaw

TENENT 4k HDR Streaming from RealDebrid

Netflix 4k Planet Earth

My Installation
really appreciate the input. Does hdr work well? There's no signal mix up in the chain right? My chain ll be like this ext HDD>shield pro>avr>projector+tv . Also have you tried netflix dolby vision? since no projector supports DV how does the tone mapping happen?

the aquaman scene looks clipped to me btw, highlights are blown out. that's the tone mapping problem i'm trying to read on since there's no dynamic tone mapping in this projector.

really appreciate the input. Does hdr work well? There's no signal mix up in the chain right? My chain ll be like this ext HDD>shield pro>avr>projector+tv . Also have you tried netflix dolby vision? since no projector supports DV how does the tone mapping happen?
For Dolby Vision content, it will revert back to HDR10 for Projectors.

So, after using for 12 hours, i feel that HDR is very impressive, Color handling, brightness and contrast are quite good.

Only negative thing is the motion jitter or stutter in fast paced action scenes. So, far i have used XGIMI H2 LED projector never noticed any motion jitter.

But, in Epson TW9400 when i am watching fast moving action scenes, i can notice the motion jitter which is irritating. Could some one please help in the settings of my gears to manage this motion jitter. I was going through the forums and found that we need to change Frame Interpolation settings in PJ. But its greyed out for me and there are information across many forums that this feature will work only for 1080P content.

My chain is similar to @soumyajit92 Nvidia > Denon AVR - X4500H > Epson TW9400 and the resolution in Nvidia shield automatically set to 4k (59.94 Hz), in Denon under video setting HDMI upscaling enabled and selected 4k (50Hz/60Hz) as the option.

Any suggestions on reducing the motion jitter ?

So, after using for 12 hours, i feel that HDR is very impressive, Color handling, brightness and contrast are quite good.

Only negative thing is the motion jitter or stutter in fast paced action scenes. So, far i have used XGIMI H2 LED projector never noticed any motion jitter.

But, in Epson TW9400 when i am watching fast moving action scenes, i can notice the motion jitter which is irritating. Could some one please help in the settings of my gears to manage this motion jitter. I was going through the forums and found that we need to change Frame Interpolation settings in PJ. But its greyed out for me and there are information across many forums that this feature will work only for 1080P content.

My chain is similar to @soumyajit92 Nvidia > Denon AVR - X4500H > Epson TW9400 and the resolution in Nvidia shield automatically set to 4k (59.94 Hz), in Denon under video setting HDMI upscaling enabled and selected 4k (50Hz/60Hz) as the option.

U cant use fi in 4k, only for 1080p. Sad i know.

Hey can u post a photo of the mount you are using? Did u have to use any keystone correction due to it being ceiling mount? I have heard keystone affects the resolution a lot.

The last picture i posted is having the mount and yes i used key stone correction, i remember kept at -4. Didn't see any issue in resolution.
Why did you have to use keystone correction? The resolution takes a hit though unnoticeable as the projector has excellent picture quality. But there is a loss.

9400 has the best lens shift capabilities in the range. Try turning off all the keystone corrections and use the lens shift to fit to screen.

From the pics, the room isn't oddly shaped. Please avoid keystone correction.

@user73 , did you consider mounting it upright on a shelf since it is right against the back wall?
I have got mine in a box on the wall.

Why did you have to use keystone correction? The resolution takes a hit though unnoticeable as the projector has excellent picture quality. But there is a loss.

9400 has the best lens shift capabilities in the range. Try turning off all the keystone corrections and use the lens shift to fit to screen.

From the pics, the room isn't oddly shaped. Please avoid keystone correction.
Let me try it

I figured it's safer since there are instances of projector falling off mounts.
thank you for your concern....but it was installed by professionals and while installing we did take into account its weight also.So he choose the firm spot himself which happens to be on the top. Installing little lower could have been risky as board on the back might not be strong enough to carry the weight.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back