My Experience with Epson EH-TW9400 / Pro Cinema 6050UB

Ok the latest update. Now i have changed the settings in Shield and in my AVR.

• Shield Resolution - 4k 23.976 (HDR10 Ready)
  • AI upscaling to Basic
  • Disabled Apply upscaling while streaming
  • Have enabled the frame rate matching option in quick button

In AVR
  • Picture Mode - off
  • under video output settings, switched off i/p Scaler
  • and kept 4k format to standard.

Let me try to use this way and provide my feedback. Also, is there any recommended picture settings available online for reference, i know its not like doing the detailed calibration but i have to spend insane price. So, just for reference could you please provide some reference settings ?

Btw, my firmware version is 09009564FLWWV104 is it the latest version ?

yes...its the latest version.
If you had been on HTPC then i would have suggested using SVPpro for ur jitter problem.There is bit of jitter but it is same when played on 4k monitor.Even that jitter can be reduced with SVPpro but then it shows halo effect around moving objects.so i am not using SVPpro either even though i bought that software couple of yrs back.

You might find these links useful too.

Below are settings if u like to use but i don't recommend rather no one will advice to use that.I did used these calibrated settings but revert to default now,reason being calibrated settings are based on Lamp,distance ,room surroundings etc etc...( you get my point).

Natural mode is suggested and used all around.Digital Cinema uses filter which gives u color close to DCI P3 but it makes picture darker.
Im not sure about Nvidia shield works but my guess is urs less bit rate which is 23.976.It should be 60hz.Have u tried 1080p 60hz?

yes...its the latest version.
If you had been on HTPC then i would have suggested using SVPpro for ur jitter problem.There is bit of jitter but it is same when played on 4k monitor.Even that jitter can be reduced with SVPpro but then it shows halo effect around moving objects.so i am not using SVPpro either even though i bought that software couple of yrs back.

You might find these links useful too.

Below are settings if u like to use but i don't recommend rather no one will advice to use that.I did used these calibrated settings but revert to default now,reason being calibrated settings are based on Lamp,distance ,room surroundings etc etc...( you get my point).

Natural mode is suggested and used all around.Digital Cinema uses filter which gives u color close to DCI P3 but it makes picture darker.
Im not sure about Nvidia shield works but my guess is urs less bit rate which is 23.976.It should be 60hz.Have u tried 1080p 60hz?
So far used for 65 hours and i have changed the setting in my shield to customized setting to 4k hdr ready 24 hz. Now, i am used with the visual. My family didnt see any jitter or jutter :) its all my perception it seems... So, i am happy with this setting.

Now, trying to calibrate to get more perfection. Though the out of box settings are very good, just want to try the calibration.

But not sure where to start with... the basics of calibration and whether i can do it with my mobile or i need to buy a light meter... what exactly have to look in the light meter etc... let me explore and if any of you have some experience in calibration please share.

Thanks

So far used for 65 hours and i have changed the setting in my shield to customized setting to 4k hdr ready 24 hz. Now, i am used with the visual. My family didnt see any jitter or jutter :) its all my perception it seems... So, i am happy with this setting.

Now, trying to calibrate to get more perfection. Though the out of box settings are very good, just want to try the calibration.

But not sure where to start with... the basics of calibration and whether i can do it with my mobile or i need to buy a light meter... what exactly have to look in the light meter etc... let me explore and if any of you have some experience in calibration please share.

Thanks
Get atleast 100 hours on the lamp before trying to calibrate.

Thanks
Calibration is best if done by professionals. It is done by display meter like X-Rite i1Display Pro or Datacolor SpyderX Pro.i don't know much about it but just seen few videos and read in forums.It's quite a time consuming process. I also my PJ to be calibrated but seller from whom i bought says i don't need that,with what i don't agree.Plz do update if u get it calibrated

Calibration is best if done by professionals. It is done by display meter like X-Rite i1Display Pro or Datacolor SpyderX Pro.i don't know much about it but just seen few videos and read in forums.It's quite a time consuming process. I also my PJ to be calibrated but seller from whom i bought says i don't need that,with what i don't agree.Plz do update if u get it calibrated
Its difficult to get a professional here... Infact the seller asking me back " what is calibration?" ,

I didn't plan to review Epson 9400 but someone who suggested this Projector and asked me to do review of it so this is least i can do @Silencer .Since this is my first PJ so I won't be able to compare with any but just my own movie experience i have with HTPC.But it's comparison has already been done with many other PJs and it is said it to be best in this price range.It is mostly compared with Sony's or JVC's which are way too expensive.
It's been a while since PJ is installed but as i am using it with HTPC so configuration still goes on as there are so many options one can change and improve esp if it is used with Potplayer and Madvr.
OK it is big....but i don't really mind as room is big enough and if it projects sharp crisp images then i don't mind at all ;).
View attachment 52448
View attachment 52449

So after i finalised that im going to buy 9400 ,i was not actually much excited rather worried what if things don't go well as it is going to be installed in a bedroom not dedicated theatre room.First problem was that center speaker can't be moved neither above or below the screen so i had to buy perforated screen.
this is screen photo.100 inch 1.0 gain.
View attachment 52445
With High speed mode fan noise could be troubling for some if installed close to seating position but for me its 3-4 feet behind my seating position and also while watching movies when volume is loud i didn't notice any fan noise.

After installation is done and i was scrolling in the menus what i noticed is that 4k enhancement and frame interpolation is greyed out.It did worried me at that time that i won't be able to enjoy 4k enhancement feature but later i found out that it is meant, if signal received by epson are not 4k.Since i already have 4k monitor so PC's resolution is 4k and Denon x3600 also delivers 4k output so i don't need that 4k enhancement.

I don't know if other PJ's have this feature or not but 9400 do have 10 memory slots to save for picture presets and 10 slots for lens position and instant 2 buttons on remote for lens memory are also very useful. A touch of a button takes you from HDTV 16:9 shape to your wide screen movie aspect ratio ie. 2.35:1.

It do took me lot of time to configure the right colors.I did some calibrations from settings shared by some users of 9400 and colors are better now.
Now coming to picture quality i have shared few pics below but i must say no camera can capture what we actually sees ourself.I am satisfied with colors specially black levels.I thought they will be more effective in HDR but i like black levels in SDR too.Below is pic of SDR file from movie
The High Note and i could clearly distinguish blacks of dress and background.But these pics won't do just as it's iphone 7 camera and it will adjust exposure by itself.Contrast on her face looks too bright but in real colors looks so real.View attachment 52446

View attachment 52447

stills from Sicario HDR.
View attachment 52451

View attachment 52452

Oldies Don Juan DeMarco 1994
View attachment 52450

L'Été meurtrier 1983
View attachment 52454
And few more random shots.

View attachment 52455View attachment 52456View attachment 52457View attachment 52458View attachment 52459View attachment 52460View attachment 52461View attachment 52462View attachment 52463
View attachment 52465View attachment 52466

I agree with what @Silencer said " If you can 'really' stretch, get the 9400. It is a gem.:)
How much did you get it for?

Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing!

By any chance you tried Epson Laser offer LS500 ?? Any idea how it is compared to picture clarity?
Yes,
I’ve similar query and curiosity to know 9400 vs LS 500 the short throw version from epson, how do they compare in terms of picture quality?

Hi, can you check whether the shield is playing youtube in HDR or not? Today my projector was installed and i had the shield hooked up to the projector directly since my avr is not setup yet, and when i played youtube hdr videos it was showing rec709 in the "stats for nerds" section. Is there any hidden setting that i have to enable on either/both the shield and the projector?

Hi, can you check whether the shield is playing youtube in HDR or not? Today my projector was installed and i had the shield hooked up to the projector directly since my avr is not setup yet, and when i played youtube hdr videos it was showing rec709 in the "stats for nerds" section. Is there any hidden setting that i have to enable on either/both the shield and the projector?
Ohh news to me.. does youtube have HDR content ??? Let me check n update.

Ohh news to me.. does youtube have HDR content ??? Let me check n update.
Ok tried to play YouTube HDR content (Not sure just searched HDR in YouTube and lot of videos resulted).

I tried in playing in my Shield > OLED tv and Shield > Epson PJ in both only 709 color format is shown

1612775271357.png
1612775303451.png1612775271357.png1612775303451.png

Hi i am also in bangalore and considered this out of budget before reading some posts here..

1. Can you please share deer contact in pm so that I can also enquire the price?

2. How much warranty does it have? Any extended warranty option? How is Epson service in bangalore?

3. Did you get an extra lamp I saw in 6050 unboxing. Do you know cost of spare bulb?

Even i was confused between Benq 5700 and 9400, finally went with this one purely based on various positive comments, comparison videos and feedback.

Even my source is Shield Pro and through Kodi, Real Debrid streaming source. Past 3 days watched downloaded 4k movies, Netflix HDR and Streaming 4k movies from both downloaded. Its not bad compare to my LG OLED TV (However OLED HDR is the best all the time).

If you want to have the real native 4k then Sony or JVC is the only option, i didn't see the real native in action to provide thoughts. My budget is limited to go for native 4k.

I have uploaded few shots below.

4K HDR downloaded Aquaman

4k HDR downloaded Avengers Endgame

4K HDR downloaded Hobbs and Shaw

TENENT 4k HDR Streaming from RealDebrid

Netflix 4k Planet Earth

My Installation
hey man, visiting the forum after long.. been really out ! just upgraded my epson TW8800 to EH TW 9400.. cant say i see a MAJOR difference.. the old TW 8800 was also very good.(PS : got a sweet deal on the new projector by giving back my old epson to the company as they couldnt fix it as the parts were not available)
. so two three things i need help on :
1. What in gods green earth is kodi and debrid !! i noticed that PBAY is gone for good so bit disappointed.. have plugged my 4K prime stick to my denon AVR 2313 amp to get some 4K content to test on the new PJ. pl help me with this new Nvidia thing etc
2. Do i need a screen for the TW 9400 ? ive been a happy camper so far in my basement with almost zero light leakage and being projecting on my white wall !! im wondering maybe im not getting THAT oomph since its missing a screen.. i checked the size and im projecting a almost 140" diagonal display on my front wall..

Thanks again for your support ! do let me know if anyone wants to know more details on my old PJ swap and must say very well supported by epson in delhi.. if anyone needs a reliable contact for this, hit me up..

Also if someone can guide me, that maybe denon 2313 isnt a favourable amp to handle duties on new EH TW 9400 and a amp upgrade is also needed ?

hey man, visiting the forum after long.. been really out ! just upgraded my epson TW8800 to EH TW 9400.. cant say i see a MAJOR difference.. the old TW 8800 was also very good.(PS : got a sweet deal on the new projector by giving back my old epson to the company as they couldnt fix it as the parts were not available)
. so two three things i need help on :
1. What in gods green earth is kodi and debrid !! i noticed that PBAY is gone for good so bit disappointed.. have plugged my 4K prime stick to my denon AVR 2313 amp to get some 4K content to test on the new PJ. pl help me with this new Nvidia thing etc
Hi Rishab,

Kodi is a powerful media player used in PCs, Android Boxes and apple tv etc and realdebrid is a unrestricted Downloader that allows you to download files and stream movies from torrents and other magnetic sites.

Mostly people will subscribe the realdebrid (some 16 eur for 6 months i think), which is way cheaper than netflix and prime etc, this will allow you to stream tons of movies with high quality (4k, HDR, Atmos, DTX, what not....). But all depends on the speed of your internet if you have min100 Mbps speed you can try real debrid.

And of course if you are a guy who downloads the movies through torrent, you can try this.
2. Do i need a screen for the TW 9400 ? ive been a happy camper so far in my basement with almost zero light leakage and being projecting on my white wall !! im wondering maybe im not getting THAT oomph since its missing a screen.. i checked the size and im projecting a almost 140" diagonal display on my front wall..

Thanks again for your support ! do let me know if anyone wants to know more details on my old PJ swap and must say very well supported by epson in delhi.. if anyone needs a reliable contact for this, hit me up..
If you have smooth wall and low lumens room, try to paint the wall with silver grey color paint and project. But, the better bet is to have the screen.

Hi Rishab,

Kodi is a powerful media player used in PCs, Android Boxes and apple tv etc and realdebrid is a unrestricted Downloader that allows you to download files and stream movies from torrents and other magnetic sites.

Mostly people will subscribe the realdebrid (some 16 eur for 6 months i think), which is way cheaper than netflix and prime etc, this will allow you to stream tons of movies with high quality (4k, HDR, Atmos, DTX, what not....). But all depends on the speed of your internet if you have min100 Mbps speed you can try real debrid.

And of course if you are a guy who downloads the movies through torrent, you can try this.

If you have smooth wall and low lumens room, try to paint the wall with silver grey color paint and project. But, the better bet is to have the screen.
Silver grey or white ? Pl let me know exact colour / paint ! Thanks for support !

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back