My experiments with home theater.

ItsMe

Just thought of narrating my baby steps to HT world, as its the day I procured one major addition to my HT setup.

Early days -
Baby steps to HT usually starts with an HTIB, unless you have surplus cash to jump in :) . As any other newbie, I started my HT entry using an LG HTIB. It was a huge leap from regular TV, and threw me out of my seat first when I heard it. I still remember the day I bought my LG HTIB during the thanks giving sale of 2005 for $199, along with 5 other friends. We cleared the stock in the shop that day I guess. Was really happy to own a home theater which came back to India with me

2009 - 2010 timeframe -
Second step in HTIB was when I realized that LG is not at all a brand in HT. It was during a home theater demo by Yamaha in Bangalore in 2009. I was blown away by the shear performance of the system, and I still remember the movie - Terminator JD which they played. The same instance, I started hating my 4 year old LG HT :) It triggered exploration to HT world, and that search introduced me to hifivision. Considering the financial situation, I decided to start with a basic system in place and almost finalized on Denon, but later cancelled that plan as I was constructing my house and cash flow was indeed an issue. The LG was there to stay with me.
The itch to own a professional system continued, and went out of control in 2010 when I discussed that with like minded friends. My friend, who was an HT component distributor in my place suggested Onkyo HTS330 a 5.1 channel receiver + matching speakers. He even arranged a demo at his place, and man I was unable to take it any longer. Within a day, I was the proud owner of Onkyo HTS3300. Meanwhile, my newly built house had a dedicated HT room which welcomed Onkyo with open arms.

The growth phase -
HT room grew as time progressed, first with a false ceiling and then with floor/wall/ceiling carpets to contain echo. Soon I witnessed first death in my HT - My sony bravia 32" LCD within an year of purchase. With the help of my friend, I procured Acer H5370BD projector from US for ~420$ as a replacement, which made it a real HT.
Smaller additions including an LG BR player, asus oplay, chromecast, an xbox 360 etc came in as years passed by.

The present -
I frequent audio exhibitions, and one such helped me to realize that HTIB is still an HTIB and real experience is with good speakers, especially with active subs. The itch started again and even took me to a level when I tried to add locally assembled active subwoofers. Though it was giving good base, I later realized that it was not what I really wanted.
The research continued, and finally I decided to settle down with pioneer andrew johns speaker set. Then I realized that it is a hot selling entity in the market, and availability both retail as well as online was low. (By the way, I hate waiting with cash in my hand :) ) Went out and auditioned couple of speakers, and liked polk audio tsx220b bookshelves. Ordered through ebay and waited almost 20 days. Finally the seller cancelled the order and reimbursed the amount citing low stocks. What next?
Went out to my good old friend who is now running a full fledged HT shop, and auditioned couple of other bookshelves, but he advised me to go for tower speakers since according to him a bookshelf needs a matching stand to perform better, together will cost near a floor standing speaker. Auditioned multiple ones including jamo, yamaha, pioneer, onkyo, klipsch and paradigm. Klipsch and Paradigm were discarded due to price, pioneer due to lack of availability (non AJ were there, but didnt like it anyhow), dropped yamaha due to lack of clear base and finally zeroed in on two options - onkyo skf4800 and Jamo S426 both at same price tag. Auditioned it back to back, and finalized onkyo skf4800, due to its strong base compared to jamo. Bought a pair for 24k, and added to the HT. The tall boy really brought out the life in my HTS3300, and converted it to a real movie theater. The three way speaker is handling lows,mids and highs extremely well and has jelled in really well. It is overpowering my passive sub, and forming a very good sound stage in my HT. Though I could find lot of positive reviews for Onkyo skf4800 overseas, I have not seen one for the same in any Indian web sites. Surprised, as it is one which is throwing real good performance at an affordable price range. Will suggest that strongly, if any of you have an inclination towards onkyo speakers.

Next step -
My wish list is long including a leather recliner, an AC, an atmos enabled reciever etc, but my immediate need is a good center channel, matching surrounds and finally an active sub. Matching speakers from Onkyo - sks4800 was available, but smaller central channel didnt impress me. Research will resume as soon as I find a way to get enough funds + the finance minister approves ;-)
Suggestions are most welcome

Thanks for chronicling your journey. Center speaker and the subwoofer are the most important components of a HT. Almost 60% of the movie sound comes from the center channel and you don't want to skimp there. Subwoofer too, is very imp for that slam in the chest kinda feeling which we all crave. Good subwoofers are very physical - they are felt more than they are heard, especially so for movies.

Nice to read the HT journey..I remember mine too when reading this type of experience.
U can check the Dali vokal center speaker .It has a rich vocal sound .But you should have sufficient space to accommodate this center speaker ,the size is just equivalent to a receiver size.

Thanks for sharing- yes the first time you move up from tv speakers is indeed mind- blowing.
As suggested above, you must definitely prioritise on getting a good centre- makes a big difference.
All the best.

Finally brought polk audio TsX150C center channel speaker and the difference is very much obvious.
Urge to upgrade sub is ON now.

Congrats on your purchase, did you buy the Polk center speaker online or from a shop? How much did it cost? How does it sound? Does the sound match withe the front speakers? I ask because people usually say to buy matching fronts n center speakers!

Sorry for delayed response. Yes, I bought it from ebay for around 10k. Sound is perfectly matching with other speakers (or I am unable to differentiate it :) )

Few more additions to my setup done recently. Added onkyo surround speakers which was perfectly matching with my front towers. Got a 10" used sub from spaceaudio and its rocking. Watched prometheus and the experience was totally great.
Unfortunately my room is so small that I had to reduce the power of sub to lowest end, and still its giving me lot of standing waves and bass reflections. Since I am not planning to change sub at any cost, I need to go for some sort of acoustic treatment as wall carpeting was not absorbing low frequency sound. Will experiment more this weekend and update.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back