My first Open Baffle DIY

Hi,

@ Kuruvilajacob, great looking open baffles.

Could you please post more pictures of the speakers/drivers. A picture of the rear of the drivers/baffle please.

Are these the Alnico magnet drivers?

Regards
Rajiv

Last edited:
Day before yeaterday I bought Ahuja 12FRX of 8 ohm and two Ahuja tweeters with capacitor. Gave them to a cabinet makers suggested by Ahuja dealer.

All three party (including myself) got the interest of making something new. OB design is a complete new thing for both Ahuja dealer and the cabinet maker. I have opt for clothing the baffles both sides.
It cost me 5000 rupees including transport.
Yesterday night I got the set from him and played at home.

They sound clear, open, real, spacious, powerful. I played my Cabasses just after that to compare. Yes, Ahujas lack finess but Cabasse can not give the open, clear mid. Even the bass from Cabasse is more than what I think is real.

Sumanta

Nice to see someone putting good use of high efficiency pro-audio drivers.:)

Dear Kuruvillajacob,
Thanks for putting photo of your OB design.

I didn't know even a 15inch can be a full range driver!

Sumanta

SK-15FRX/FRZ from Ahuja is also a fullranger in 15" size
http://www.ahujaradios.com/Productdetail.asp?prd_id=202&id=7&sc_id=48

Last edited:
Dear Sumanta,

Yes, there are several 15' full range speakers but very difficult to get them in its original condition. I did'nt understand how I can fold part of the baffle. Yes I tried placing the baffle on the ground in my music room . I was very disappointed with the result. there was a total cut off of higher frequencies and the bass boom was not tolerable at all. Then I lifted the speakers (As can be seen in the pic). The higher frequencies returned and lower frequencies were not as boomy as before. Still, I was not fully satisfied until i shifted the baffles to my Living room which is a rectangular room. I have placed the speakers on the ground and I have started enjoying the music of full range and open baffle combination. With a little bit of experiments with speaker placements, I am sure things will further improve. i listen to only Vinyl and the Jazz music really sounds real and natural on this.

Regds
kuruvilajacob

Dear Kanwar, thanks for the appreciation.
To me SK15FRX/Z is not a full range driver as its Fs is 75 Hz. SK12FRX/Z is quite close to likable full ranger. I have heard SK15FRX but didn't liked it.
But yes, company claims it to be a full ranger.

Even Philips full ranger Hq480002 or something like that number also has 80Hz Fs though.

Last edited:
I did'nt understand how I can fold part of the baffle.

You can have hinges at the side of your baffles and can have wings attached to those hinges. That will give you various possible baffle shapes and effects.

Try having wing at the outer edge side of the two baffles first. That may be enough for you. You can also put baffle close to side wall.

Baffles with wings actually still have net width as a baffle width. A 20 inch baffle with two 6 inch wings at each side still has 32 inch of effective baffle width, even if the wings are 90 degree in angle with the front baffle. That is what I have understood with my limited reading.

See the first photo of this link for a hinged baffle.
http://www.wildburroaudio.com/projects.php
I would like to know how you have come to a conclusion of that size of the baffle. For me, I didn't do any calculation, I read some write ups and figured it will be more effective to keep the baffles at least 3 feet away from the front wall (from listener's perspective) and can be a narrower width. I have a 500mm baffle width now. I will be making one of 400mm soon.

Last edited:
Dear Sumantha

I did not use any calculation as such. I got the measurements from a webpage homebrewer.pdf and made my first open baffle based on it. I must say, I took a risk but I am not disappointed. It was my first attempt. But I think the positioning of the OB is very important to get the best out of it. Yes I will think of wings later. What about sand filling on the sides? . From my limited observation, the bigger the room, the better the sound. Anyway, OB is not for small listening rooms I think
kuruvilajacob

I have not tried sand filling and will not be I guess.

I have used MDF for my baffles.
I do not have idea how to sandfill them.

Hi,

@Kuruvilajacob,I am curious about the Goodmans Audiom driver.

I was under the impression that the Audiom range were woofers and not full range drivers.

Could you please post more details(model no.etc.) about the drivers and if possible pictures of the drivers.Front/rear.

Regards
Rajiv

Dear Rajiv,
Dear Rajiv,
I am unable to post pictures due to some technical fault with my system. The speakers I have are Goodmans Audium 15 dual cone speakers 15" loudspeakers. professional with nominal power of 50 watts.
Regds
kuruvilajacob

Kuruvilajacob, those most be going well with the garrard eh? Congratulations!

Tapatalking. Look ma, no computer!

Hi,

The speakers I have are Goodmans Audium 15 dual cone speakers 15" loudspeakers. professional with nominal power of 50 watts.

Now I am very interested.I have never seen or heard of a dual cone Audiom range driver from Goodmans. The drivers you own could be quite unique/rare.

The Audiom range were woofers only to the best of my knowledge. The dual cones were from the Axiom and Axiette range.

Do your drivers look like this?

http://www.hifiworks.co.uk/images_fullsize/john6.jpg

http://www.hifiworks.co.uk/images_fullsize/john5.jpg

Regards
Rajiv

Stevieboy,
I am now using the OB with Sony PS X 60,Yaqin MS-13B Pre and Quad 303 Power amp in my living room which is much bigger and rectangular in shape. The OB sounds much better now and I am really enjoying it
kuruvilajacob

Raiv,

The speakers in the pics are identical to the ones I have. My mechanic friend to whom I had taken to design the OB told me that they are dual cone full range speakers. May be you are right as you are much well read in this subject than the guy who informed me. Frankly, I am a novice in vintage speakers. I do own a pair of Philips 12" speakers with no markings to show its model no. It is right now boxed. Do let me know more about the
goodman speakers if you have information. They sound wonderful to my ears even without tweeters. But you can advice me if improvements can be made
Regds
kuruvila

Hi,

Kuruvilajacob, I think the drivers you have are Pro/Guitar/Musical instrument speakers. A tweeter coming in first order at around 5000hz should help improve the sound.

Phillips fullrange drivers are very good.Anilva has a pair and I have heard a couple of these fullrangers in big cabinets.If yours are the Holland made Alnico drivers they will sound superb.

Please post pictures of the Phillips drivers.I might be able to help identify the driver model or ask other members on the vintage audio groups.

Some links to the Phillips fullrange drives.

tannoy

Philips 9710/

Quite a few models listed in these links.

Philips A

Philips B

Regards
Rajiv

Rajiv,

Mine look a lot like phillips/valvo. No model number or marking are there at the back but the magnets are heavy and they sound superb. I think the magnets are alinico. I have boxed them in huge box used for Public Address System. Next time my friend comes, I will take them out and send you some pics. My Goodmans sound nice even without tweeters. Could you suggest some good brand of tweeters in case I decide to add them at a later date?. BTW, I got a Siemens Music centre with its own speakers. The Model no is RS 406 electronic. Could not find any details of this model on the net. They sound very nice and should sound even better as the days go by as it has not been used for a long time . I will post pics as soon as possible.

Regards

kuruvilajacob

Hi ,

Kuruvilajacob, I was directed to these links by a member of the Tannoy Yahoo group,it has details about your Goodmans drivers.

Loudspeakers hall of fame

http://www.ajaudio.co.uk/GOODMANS POWER RANGE SPEAKER CATALOGUE.pdf

From the specs/response graph for your drivers they start to drop off at 10 khz. Your speakers sound very balanced and nice is because they roll off at both ends of the spectrum.

There is an old speaker design axiom atributed to Harry Olson in the 1930's. It is called the "400,000 rule". In practice it goes like this - multiply the LF rolloff point by the HF rolloff point and it should equal 400,000. In other words, if a speaker is flat in room to only 50Hz the HF should begin a gentle rolloff at 8kHz. This gives a very soft sounding loudspeaker, but one that does not produce listener's fatigue.

From an SAE paper by Richard Stroud

APPENDIX
Rule of 400,000: this rule is a general guideline for
presenting a spectrum the listener perceives as
balanced. The upper and lower bandwidth limits are
multiplied, and that number should approximate
400,000. A full range 20-20,000 Hz sound would thus
qualify.
Charles Nairn has suggest a that product range of
400,000 to 640,000 is acceptable.
If, for example, the bass were limited to 150 Hz, having
a treble response to 20 kHz would sound too bright. Inthe first instance, 150-20,000 Hz yields a product of
3,000,000, which is greater than 640,000, and therefore
too bright. In the second instance, the 20-3,000 Hz
yields a product of 60,000, which is lower than 400,000,
and therefore too dull.
Even though having a 20Hz lower limit is desirable,
having a full 20 Hz bass response with a 3 kHz upper
bandwidth limit would sound too bassy.
This rule is not universally accepted, but the author?s
personal experience supports the general preference for
bass-treble balance. I would further suggest that 35 Hz
to 15 kHz should be considered close enough to the
spectral hearing limits that further extension of either
bass or treble would not likely alter the perception of
spectral balance. The author looks forward to knowing
the reader?s thoughts on this subject.
SAE

For tweeters try some inexpensive drivers even paper cones and the piezo types to see if you find the added extention to your liking and then try out the more expensive tweeters.

Big drivers get directional with raising frequency .You probabally found the speakers dull and not to your liking when the speakers were on the floor. You could try adding an upward firing tweeter like the Wharfedade SFB 3 open baffle speaker and place the baffles on the floor to increase the bass response.

Regards
Rajiv

That's a lovely suggestion.
Infact I am learning a lot of things everyday.

Thanks a lot Rajiv.

Hi,

Sumanta, if you have not read this before it is a very good read. G.A Briggs the founder of Wharfedale was one of the true pioneers in audio.

OBriggs

Regards
Rajiv

Hi Rajiv,
The info you have given were really useful. I am enjoying the music more because I still listen to only vinyl and on the goodman, I like to listen to old big band music. I am told that OBs can sound fantastic with proper speaker placements. Is there any norms for speaker placements for OBs Rajiv?
regards
kuruvilajacob

Hi,

BTW, I got a Siemens Music centre with its own speakers. The Model no is RS 406 electronic. Could not find any details of this model on the net.

Here you go.

http://siemens.pytalhost.eu//1980/siemens70-44.jpg

http://siemens.pytalhost.eu//1980/siemens70-45.jpg

http://siemens.pytalhost.eu//1980/siemens70-54.jpg

Siemens Kataloge und Prospekte

Very good information on several brands at this site.

</titlehifi> <link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href="http://wegavision.pytalhost.com/favicon.ico"> <title>HiFi Archiv

Regards
Rajiv

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back