My first PJ, should I try a cheaper one like UNIC UC40 or buy something up to 30k

Naveenbnc

Hello All,

I want to buy my first projector. I can allot a budget upto 25-30K for now.

But since I am a beginner for PJ, should I try a cheaper one like UNIC UC40 or EGATE i9 or..... buy something in the range of 25-30k? Please suggest guys...

Will there be a good difference in PQ between a cheaper model under 5-6K and models under 25-30K? If the PQ difference is very minimal, I will buy a budget model now, and buy a premium model later on. Is this a good approach??

Room size: 11x14 and I will make it semi dark, dedicated to HT
Current setup: Yht 196 avr + Taga 5.0 tav 606se

Thanks for all the support ... :)

Last edited:
Hello All,

But since I am a beginner for PJ, should I try a cheaper one like UNIC UC40 or EGATE i9 or..... buy something in the range of 25-30k? Please suggest guys...

Will there be a good difference in PQ between a cheaper model under 5-6K and models under 25-30K? If the PQ difference is very minimal, I will buy a budget model now, and buy a premium model later on. Is this a good approach??

Room size: 11x14 and I will make it semi dark, dedicated to HT
Current setup: Yht 196 avr + Taga 5.0 tav 606se

Thanks for all the support ... :)
Well I am sure all have different views on building a setup. Some do a thorough research and go All In One time. Others go the hands on way.

I went the hands on way. Bought a unic projector to get a feel of a projector to know whether I even want one or not. Loved it, so 6 months later went in for a higher grade one.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

PJ is a lot of work. Nothing like watching YouTube videos or reading reviews will prepare you for that. Only actual hands on experience and daily or regular usage will. So you will end up tweaking a lot of stuff, changing furniture around, trying out different paints and screens. Also, different positions and calibration.

Go with a cheap one and see if you want to put in the effort long term. The rewards will far outweigh the troubles, but maybe not for everyone.

I started with a cheap Chinese make PJ myself. Today it's a mid-fi branded one. Down the line I'll be looking at 4K and laser.

Even if you read lot of articles, nothing beats a first hand experience..

Hello All,

Yes.. Try with a 5K projector first.. But understand the limitation of the product before you buy it..

Will there be a good difference in PQ between a cheaper model under 5-6K and models under 25-30K?

Obviously..

If the PQ difference is very minimal, I will buy a budget model now, and buy a premium model later on. Is this a good approach??

I have used Unic 46 & presently using Egate P531, both use single LCD panel powered by a single White LED bulb, while the more expensive ones use better tried & tested methods.. Also the lumens output by the Unic & Egate is a fraction of what the mainstream PJ are capable of..

We have few threads on the same, please run thru it to take inputs..

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theatre-projectors-screens/62255-unic-uc40-ultra-cheap-projector.html

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theatre-projectors-screens/64975-unic-uc46-led-projector-thread-1200-lumens-now-seriously-bright.html

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theatre-projectors-screens/65078-100-inch-screen-10k-led-projector-avail-india-discussion-thread.html

Dear MaSh, TCHeN, Elangoas,

I have been reading your threads as if I am preparing for EAMCET exam.
I didnt read my engineering books also this seriously..... :eek:hyeah:

Thanks for all the inputs... I will try one PJ in the range 5 to 10K to begin with :)

Hello all... I have selected 2 models under 10k and two models under 20k

Egate i9 (6k)
Egate i9 miracast (7k)

Both above models have 30000 hrs life long led lamp
Hd 1920 X 1080 Support & 800 X 480 Native resolution
1000 : 1 High Contrast Ratio; 120" Large screen display
1500 Lumen* / 120 Ansi; Direct play from USB

Egate P513 (17k)
Egate P531 (19K)
(I guess this is android unit & PC free design)

Both above models have 40000 hours life long LED lamp
HD 1920 x 1080 support and 1280 x 800 native resolution
2000:1 high contrast ratio
3500 Lumen

Models under 10K come with 2 years warranty, and the other two come with 1 year warranty.

I understood the specs with the numbers above. I will pick any one of the above.
If 10k models can keep an entry level person (like me without too much expectation in the beginning) satisfied for at least 6 months, I will go for them)
Any additional suggestion from seniors can help me a lot !!!

Thanks a lot for guidance so far...
Naveen

Last edited:

Egate i9 (6k)
Egate i9 miracast (7k)

Egate P513 (17k)
Egate P531 (19K)

3500 Lumen

Models under 10K come with 2 years warranty, and the other two come with 1 year warranty.

I understood the specs with the numbers above. I will pick any one of the above.
If 10k models can keep an entry level person (like me without too much expectation in the beginning) satisfied for at least 6 months, I will go for them)

Naveen

I think the second one with Lumens spec of 3500 should be the one to get. That is the amount of brightness you will get

MaSh

You can buy directly from the company (Egate) with lesser price than amazon.in & extended warranty..

Of the models you have listed, i would suggest you Egate P513.. Since it is HD resolution.. The others have SD native resolution.. Having used both Unic 46 & Egate P513, i would say P513 brightness is atleast 3 times brighter than Unic 46..

I have used (Egate P 531) it for roughly 2,000 Hrs so far in the 9 months time i had it, and going good.. Sometimes have used it for more than 10 hrs a day (movies/IPL season)..No issues..

Egate i9 (6k)
Egate i9 miracast (7k)

Egate P513 (17k)
Egate P531 (19K)

3500 Lumen

Naveen

Your Selection of PJ should be comparable to the TV you have. If you have HD TV get A PJ with native resolution at least HD ready that is 720p. You'd invariably compare it to your TV. Don't bother about capable resolution parameters, which is basically cheating by Manfacturers, just concentrate on Native resolution, Contrast ratio, lumens and projection distance calculator.

I'd prefer buying a used Mainstream 720p PJ over Cheaper ones ; get the best PJ in your budget and give a proper Chance.

I have a 55" HD lg tv. Im worried for the last few days that i may compare it with PJ. And you pointed it out !!!

Your Selection of PJ should be comparable to the TV you have. If you have HD TV get A PJ with native resolution at least HD ready that is 720p. You'd invariably compare it to your TV. Don't bother about capable resolution parameters, which is basically cheating by Manfacturers, just concentrate on Native resolution, Contrast ratio, lumens and projection distance calculator.

I'd prefer buying a used Mainstream 720p PJ over Cheaper ones ; get the best PJ in your budget and give a proper Chance.

I have a 55" HD lg tv. Im worried for the last few days that i may compare it with PJ. And you pointed it out !!!

Don't entirely disagree... but the thing with a PJ is the size. No TV, not even 65" will come close in terms of the immersive experience of a PJ.

Not saying Pixels are not important - they are but in terms of quality and detail.
A PJ does not compete (or even try to compete) on that footing - it's more about a large screen immersive experience.

If you really start counting pixels, contrast, and detail with a PJ, then only a laser PJ (and they cost like $8000 to $10,000) will satisfy you.

All 4K TVs with even middle of the road specs will walk all over the PJs in terms of specs.

Yes that absolutely true !!! Its unfare to compare a tv to a pj. Tv itself is a picture source, and compact in size. Pj is a reflection and large in size. Got the point..

You can buy directly from the company (Egate) with lesser price than amazon.in & extended warranty..

Of the models you have listed, i would suggest you Egate P513.. Since it is HD resolution.. The others have SD native resolution.. Having used both Unic 46 & Egate P513, i would say P513 brightness is atleast 3 times brighter than Unic 46..

I have used (Egate P 531) it for roughly 2,000 Hrs so far in the 9 months time i had it, and going good.. Sometimes have used it for more than 10 hrs a day (movies/IPL season)..No issues..

Please correct me if im wrong... both P513 & P531 are HD resolution with same specs. But 531 is android, and no pc model.

Me too... not sure what they mean by no pc. How ever is android model has a little edge over the other one, Il go for 531. If android doesn't matter il go for 513.

Am I the only one suggesting to go with a branded product, I mean the usual suspects like BenQ, Epson and others.
Egate or other Chinese brands will suffice for the user till he/she lays eyes on one of the branded models, the difference is very apparent and the sinking feeling is immediate, there is no getting around that feeling.
So spend 17K now and then be ready to spend more in a year's time, that is how usually it goes.

The Chinese ones are great to dabble your feet into the PJ business but eventually be prepared to go big. I skipped the Chinese step and went with Epson and I know I have done the right thing. Get an Epson EB-X31, it is worth the spend if you have the budget.

In terms of budget, yes I can do around 30k for now.
Im considering egate models under 20k like hit and miss luck. If i feel its ok..il keep it, or else i have to upgrade in a few months. And i may get a first hand experience in pj.

And also im thinking egate is an indian brand. Is it not?? Im thinking warrenty is a plus with egate.

If epson or other models (around 30k) can be good enough for 1 or 2 years without upgrade, i think thats a good step too....

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back